Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: July 22, 2004|
|2003-2004 F-Super Duty|
Some 2003-2004 Super Duty F-Series built after 11/18/2002 may display an incorrect distance to empty (DTE) reading in the overhead trip computer (OTC) when compared with the fuel gauge reading. The two readings operate independently from each other. The incorrect display may be due to the OTC module being configured incorrectly. The As-Built data from the PTS website may also be incorrect and should not be referenced.
To service, reprogram the OTC using the As-Built Data Charts and fuel tank sizes in this TSB. Refer to procedures below for accessing and changing the data in the OTC using WDS, NGS+ or NGS Classic.
ENTRY OF OTC AS-BUILT DATA USING WDS
- Close any existing sessions on WDS.
- Disable OTC module by pulling fuse 2.27 or disconnecting module.
- Start a new session (select 16 Pin > All except those below, etc.).
- Allow WDS to identify the vehicle, go through the VIN confirmation and RO screens by pressing check mark button (OTC will fail network test because it is disabled).
- Select Toolbox tab, pick Module Programming, Programmable Module Installation > OTC.
- Follow WDS prompts to cycle the key OFF, press check mark button.
- When “INSTALL A NEW MODULE IN VEHICLE” appears, reconnect OTC module or reinstall fuse 2.27.
- Follow prompt to cycle key ON, press check mark.
- When the explanation screen indicates As-Built data will need to be entered, press check mark.
- Enter the appropriate As-Built data from the chart. Press check mark after entering 6A-01 data, and WDS will then prompt for 6A-02 data.
At this point, WDS should indicate whether the programming was successful. If unsuccessful, verify good connection at DLC, good power and ground to OTC, self-test OTC, re-boot WDS and reattempt the procedure.
ENTRY OF OTC AS-BUILT DATA USING NGS CLASSIC OR NGS+
|NOTE:||NGS CLASSIC USERS START AT STEP 2 WITH LATEST LEVEL GREEN SERVICE CARD. NGS+ USERS START AT STEP 1|
- Select Diagnostic Data Link, OTC, Module Configuration Programming.
- Select Programmable Module Installation.
- Select OTC if prompted to select a module.
- Select “Retrieve Backup Data”.
- Enter “4253” for “Security Code Number”.
- Enter VIN if prompted.
- Enter Vehicle Data (obtain from PTS website: select Service Publications, call As-Built, submit VIN).
- Enter the OTC Data from the chart, starting with 6A-01, press “STORE”.
- Select “YES” when asked “DOES THE AS-BUILT DATA LIST 6A-02?”
- Enter the 6A-02 data from the chart, press “STORE”.
- Select “NO” when asked “DOES THE AS-BUILT DATA LIST 6A-03?”.
- Select “RESTORE MODULE CONFIG-NEW ECU”.
At this point NGS should indicate whether programming was successful. If unsuccessful, verify good connection at DLC, good power and ground to OTC, self-test OTC and clear codes, cycle the key and reattempt the procedure.
SINGLE FUEL TANK SIZES AS-BUILT DATA AS-BUILT DATA 19 Gallon Mid-Ship 6A-01 00B4 0000 3150 6A-02 0000 0000 319D 29 Gallon Mid-Ship 6A-01 012C 0000 31C9 6A-02 0000 0000 319D 38 Gallon Plastic Mid-Ship 6A-01 017C 0000 3119 6A-02 0000 0000 319D 36 Gallon Steel 6A-01 0166 0000 3103 6A-02 0000 0000 319D 40 Gallon Aft-of-Axle 6A-01 0190 0000 312D 6A-02 0000 0000 319D DUAL FUEL TANK SIZES AS-BUILT DATA AS-BUILT DATA 19 Gallon Mid-Ship / 38 Gallon Steel Aft-of-Axle 6A-01 00B4 0000 3150 6A-02 017C 0000 311A 19 Gallon Mid-Ship / 40 Gallon Steel Aft-of-Axle 6A-01 00B4 0000 3150 6A-02 0190 0000 312E
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company