Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: AUGUST 26, 2002|
|1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.|
TSB 98-21-5 is being republished in its entirety to update the model year coverage.
Some motorhome gas powered generators that draw fuel from the chassis fuel tank may shut off before the fuel tank level reaches 1/4 full. This may be caused by the generator fuel pick-up tube (component of fuel pump assembly) not being long enough to draw fuel down to 1/4 full in the chassis fuel tank.
Install a rubber fuel hose extension (381136-S027A) on the generator fuel pick-up tube. The rubber fuel hose extends the generator fuel pick-up tube ensuring fuel supply when the main tank is less than 1/4 full. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Remove the fuel tank as described in the F-Super Duty Workshop Manual – Volume II, Section 310-01.
- Remove the nuts retaining the fuel pump and sender to the fuel tank.
NOTE: CLEAN THE FUEL TANK STUD THREADS AND APPLY PENETRATING AND LOCK LUBRICANT (XL-1) IF THEY APPEAR CORRODED. THIS WILL AID IN PREVENTING STUD BREAKAGE DUE TO EXCESSIVE REMOVAL TORQUE. IF A STUD BREAKS, THE FUEL TANK WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.
- Remove the fuel pump and sender from the fuel tank.
- Install the Fuel Hose (381136-S027A) and Clamp (385766-S32) as shown in Figure 1.
- Install the fuel pump and sender into the fuel tank with a new O-ring Seal (F6DC-9E275-AA). Ensure that the O-ring is properly seated to prevent fuel leakage. Install and torque the retaining nuts to 8-10 N-m (71-88 lb-in).
- Install the tank as described in the the F-Super Duty Workshop Manual – Volume II, Section 310-01.
NOTE: THE CIRCULAR FUEL TANK STRAP TORQUING SEQUENCE SPECIFIED IN THE WORKSHOP MANUAL MUST BE FOLLOWED. THE SPECIFIED TORQUE SEQUENCE TIGHTENS EACH STRAP NUT ON ONE SIDE OF THE VEHICLE IN SEQUENCE, THEN MOVES TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE AND TIGHTENS EACH STRAP NUT IN SEQUENCE. DO NOT TIGHTEN EACH STRAP SEPARATELY IN A SIDE-TO-SIDE SEQUENCE.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XL-1||Penetrating And Lock Lubricant|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage. Also Eligible For Emissions Warranty Coverage On 2000-2003 Models.
|021712A||Install Fuel Hose Extension||2.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 02-17-12
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company