Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 7, 2003|
|1999-2001 E SERIES, SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
2000-2001 EXCURSION, F-650, F-750
Article 03-14-9 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.
Some 1999-2001 Super Duty F-Series, E-Series, 2000-2001 Excursions and 2000- 2001 F650-750 vehicles equipped with a 7.3L DI may exhibit a loss of power, oil leaks around the turbo, and/or excessive exhaust noise from the turbo.
Visually inspect the turbo housing for loose or missing turbo housing bolts (Figure 1 and Figure 2). If turbo housing bolts are loose or missing, use Turbo Housing Bolt Kit 1C3Z-9G486-AA to replace the bolts. The new bolts are torque prevailing bolts (Figure 3).
|NOTE:||DO NOT REPLACE THE TURBOCHARGER FOR THIS CONDITION UNLESS THE TURBINE WHEEL HAS CONTACTED THE HOUSING AND HAS BEEN DAMAGED.|
|NOTE:||REMOVE AND REPLACE THE PRODUCTION BOLTS ONE AT A TIME TO PREVENT MOVEMENT OF THE TURBINE HOUSING. MOVEMENT OF THE TURBINE HOUSING COULD CAUSE INTERFERENCE WITH THE TURBINE WHEEL AND DAMAGE TO HIGH SPEED PARTS.|
- Follow appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 303-04 procedure to remove the turbo.
- Remove first production bolt from center housing.
- Clean internal threads in the turbine housing.
- Install new bolt and torque to 360 lb-in. (41 N-m).
- Repeat Steps 2-4 for the remaining 3 bolts.
- Inspect the reusable oil feed and oil drain O-rings between pedestal and turbo for damage. REPLACE ONLY IF THE SEAL IS DAMAGED.
- Lubricate O-ring seals with clean engine oil prior to re-assembly
- Follow appropriate model year Workshop Manual Section 303-04 procedure to reinstall the turbo.
LABOR OPERATION CLAIMING CHART Operation Labor Description Vehicle Time 032149A Replace Turbocharger Housing Bolts (Includes Time To Remove And Install Turbocharger) 1999-2001 E Series 1.7 Hrs. 1999-2001 Super Duty F Series 2.4 Hrs. 2000-2001 Excursion 2.4 Hrs. 2000-2001 F650/750 2.8 Hrs.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|1C3Z-9G486-AA||Turbocharger Housing Bolt Kit|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 03-21-49
Figure 2 – Article 03-21-49
Figure 3 – Article 03-21-49
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company