Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MARCH 18, 1998|
|1995-1997 F-250 HD, F-350|
The rear axle seals may leak and/or dislodge out of the hub bores in sub-zero temperatures possibly resulting in axle lubricant leaking onto rear brake linings on some vehicles. This may be due to rear axle lubricant freezing.
Replace the rear axle seals with new axle seals and replace the axle lubricant with Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant (75W140). Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the wheels/tires and brake drums.
- Inspect rear brake linings and replace if contaminated with axle lubricant (refer to Parts Block at the end of this article for correct lining part number). Refer to 1997 F-250/F-350 Body/Chassis Service Manual, Section 06-02 for details.
- Clean all dirt from area of axle cover with a cloth or wire brush.
- Place drain pan under the axle and remove the axle housing cover bolts.
- Slowly pry cover away from housing allowing initial rush of lubricant to drain.
- Remove axle housing cover to complete drainage of lubricant.
- Using clean shop towel, thoroughly wipe all excess lubricant from differential housing.
CAUTION: EXTREME CARE MUST BE TAKEN NOT TO DAMAGE SPINDLES OR DROP HUB OUTER BEARINGS DURING HUB REMOVAL.
- Remove axle shafts.
- Remove wheel hubs. Place hubs on work bench. Allow axle lubricant to drain from axle tubes.
- Clean and inspect spindles.
- Remove hub seals and inner bearings. Thoroughly drain hubs of all axle lubricant. Wipe lubricant from hub cavities using clean shop towel.
- Inspect hub oil slingers, bearings and races for wear or damage. Replace as required.
CAUTION: DIP HUB INNER WHEEL BEARINGS AND SLINGERS INTO SPECIFIED 75W140 SYNTHETIC REAR AXLE LUBRICANT PRIOR TO ASSEMBLING THEM INTO THE HUBS.
- Place hub inner wheel bearing and slinger in each hub.
- Using Hub Seal Installer (T85T-1175-AR), install a new Seal (F4TZ-1177-B) in each hub.
- Fill each hub cavity with 29.6ml (1 oz) of Synthetic Axle Lubricant (75W140).
- Dip hub outer bearings into the Synthetic Axle Lubricant (75W140).
- Coat spindles with the 75W140 lubricant.
CAUTION: A NEW HUB NUT MUST BE INSTALLED IF HUB NUT COMES APART DURING INSTALLATION OR REMOVAL. CAUTION: HUB NUTS ARE RIGHT AND LEFT HAND THREAD. MAKE SURE THE HUB TAB IS LOCATED IN THE KEYWAY PRIOR TO THREAD ENGAGEMENT.
- Install hub assemblies with hub outer bearings.
- Install a hub nut on each spindle. Turn hub nut clockwise for RH thread, counterclockwise for LH thread.
- Tighten each hub nut 75-88 N-m (55-65 lb-ft), rotating the hub occasionally while tightening. Ratchet back eight (8) teeth or notches on the hub nut (1/6 turn). Eight (8) clicks must be heard in order to have performed the procedure correctly.
- Install axle shafts. Coat axle shaft retaining bolts with Threadlock and Sealer (EOAZ-19554-AA) prior to installation. Install and tighten bolts to 102-115 N-m (75-85 lb-ft).
CAUTION: MAKE SURE MACHINED SURFACE ON DIFFERENTIAL CARRIER AND COVER ARE CLEAN AND FREE OF OIL AND OLD LIQUID GASKET BEFORE INSTALLING NEW SILICONE SEALANT. NOTE: AXLE HOUSING COVER MUST BE INSTALLED WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF APPLICATION OF THE SILICONE OR NEW SEALANT MUST BE APPLIED. APPLY A CONTINUOUS BEAD OF SILICONE RUBBER SEALANT (D6AZ-19562-AA, OR EQUIVALENT) TO THE HOUSING COVER INBOARD OF THE COVER BOLT HOLES.
- Install axle housing cover.
- Tighten all cover bolts (except ratio tag bolt) to 38-52 N-m (28-38 lb-ft). Install ratio tag and tighten hold-down bolt to 24-38 N-m (18-28 lb-ft).
- Remove axle filler plug.
- If axle is equipped with a Traction-Lok differential, add 0.24L (8 oz) of Additive Friction Modifier (C8AZ-19B546-A, or equivalent meeting Ford specification EST-M2C118-A) through the filler hole.
- Add approximately 3L (6.5 pints) 75W140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant (F1TZ-19580-B, or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSL-M2C192-A) to the axle, or until the lubricant reaches the bottom of the filler hole.
- Tighten axle filler plug 20-40 N-m (15-30 lb-ft).
- Road test vehicle.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F4TZ-1177-B||Rear Hub Seal (2 Req’d.)|
|E5TZ-2200-C||Rear Brake Lining (F-250/350 SRW)|
|F4TZ-2200-A||Rear Brake Lining (F-350 DRW)|
|D6AZ-19562-AA||Silicone Rubber Sealant|
|C8AZ-19B546-A||Additive Friction Modifier (Two 4 Oz. Bottles Req’d.)|
|F1TZ-19580-B||Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant (75W140)|
|EOAZ-19554-AA||Threadlock And Sealer|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|985A27A||Replace Rear Axle Seals||2.5 Hrs.|
|985A27B||Additional Time To Replace Brake Shoes If Required||1.1 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
301000, 509000, 510000
Copyright © 1998 Ford Motor Company