2009 Explorer Sport Trac Overview
- 2009 Explorer Sport Trac adds Trailer Sway Control to impressive lineup of safety technologies
- Next generation, voice-activated navigation system and the class-exclusive SIRIUS® Travel Link™ is now available on Explorer Sport Trac
- The standard chrome-finished grille for a bold front end.
- A powerdome aluminum hood for a stronger appearance.
- Pronounced wheel arches, helping to provide a rugged stance.
- The C-pillar arch serves as visual distinction between people space and cargo room.
- A hardy 4.5-foot cargo box lined with corrosion-proof sheet molded composite (SMC) material and lined with dent-proof and scratch-resistant material for protection from hard use.
- Three integrated cargo bins are recessed into the bed of the truck for versatile, convenient storage.
- The cargo cage bed extender and Tonneau cover, which remain highly popular with customers.
- The 4.0-liter V-6 is rated at 210 horsepower at 5,100 rpm and 254 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm.
- The 4.0-liter, equipped with a standard 5-speed automatic, delivers a maximum 5,310 pounds of towing capacity and 1,450 pounds of payload.
- The V-6 meets federal Tier II, Bin 4 tailpipe emissions.
- The 4.6-liter, 3-valve V-8 delivers 292 horsepower – the most horsepower in its class.
- The available 4.6-liter V-8 and 6-speed transmission deliver a maximum 6,800 pounds of towing capacity and 1,390 pounds of payload.
- The V-8 meets federal Tier II Bin 5 standards, which is compliant with California’s Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) standards.
2009 Explorer Sport Trac Overview
FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC ADDS MORE SAFETY, TECHNOLOGY FOR 2009
Explorer Sport Trac is the unrestricted utility vehicle that delivers rugged styling, capable power and performance along with a versatile cargo area to take customers where they want to go. Sport Trac adds a growing number of standard features and exciting new technologies for the 2009 model year.
Available for 2009 is the next generation navigation system with SIRIUS Travel Link, which gives drivers and passengers access to up-to-the-minute information and entertainment including coast-to-coast coverage of real-time traffic and weather reports; fuel options from more than 120,000 stations sorted by price and distance; major league pro and college sports as well as movie listings from more than 4,500 theaters.
Adding to its impressive lineup of safety features, Trailer Sway Control is added to Explorer Sport Trac for 2009. Trailer Sway Control works in conjunction with AdvanceTrac with RSC to determine from the yaw motion of the vehicle if the trailer is swaying and take measures – such as applying precise braking or reduced engine torque – to bring both vehicle and trailer under control.
AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control) delivers a level of performance that competitive stability control systems can’t match. Unlike competitors systems, AdvanceTrac with RSC utilizes a second gyroscopic roll rate sensor to determine the vehicle’s body roll angle and roll rate.
Trailer Sway joins a host of already standard safety equipment, such as: Safety Canopy side curtain air bags, AdvanceTrac with industry-exclusive RSC® (Roll Stability Control), Advanced restraints module and dual front-crash sensors, five-level front-passenger sensing system, driver-seat position sensor, dual-stage front air bags, adaptive load-limiting safety-belt retractors, adaptive front-passenger-seat air-bag tether, adaptive air bag venting, and adaptive-stroking steering column.
Tough Truck Inspired Design and Equipment
Sport Trac offers an overt nod to its inspiration with a tough truck exterior drawn from the design of the Ford Explorer and Ford F-150. Specific elements of the tough exterior are:
Capable Power and Performance
The Explorer Sport Trac is outfitted standard with the 4.0-liter V-6 engine and 5-speed automatic transmission. The available, class-exclusive, 4.6-liter V-8 engine with 6-speed automatic transmission provides a power boost attractive to many customers.
Key considerations for Sport Trac’s powertrain options are:
Either engine can be equipped with the Sport Trac’s advanced Control Trac® four-wheel-drive system. Unlike less sophisticated systems, Control Trac® automatically transfers torque to the front wheels as needed to maintain maximum traction at all times. This increases safety and security without compromising fuel economy or NVH. In addition, the Control Trac® system features a torque-multiplying gear set (4×4 Low) in the transfer case for off-road applications that require extra power including deep sand, steep grades and towing a boat trailer out of water.
The Sport Trac’s front suspension is a short- and long-arm design with coil-over shocks. The rear suspension is independent with a patent-pending, trailing blade design.
Sizable four-wheel disc brakes are standard, as is the four-wheel, four-channel anti-lock braking system with electronic brake force distribution. The package creates a balanced chassis with ride and handling that is unrivaled in its segment.
Explorer Sport Trac is available in two series, XLT and Limited. Sport Trac is produced at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville, Ky.
Key features and options:
Standard features include: Trailer Sway Control, Satellite Radio, Advance Trac® with RSC®; 4-wheel-disc brakes with ABS; Enhanced Interactive Vehicle Dynamics (IVD); 16-inch painted, cast-aluminum wheels; Cargo bed storage system; Fog lamps; Privacy glass; Power rear sliding window; Power one touch up/down driver window (late availability); Air conditioning; AM/FM single CD/MP3 player with audio input jack; Overhead console; Heavy duty floor mats; Illuminated glove box; Leather wrapped steering wheel; Two power points inside, one in the cargo bed; Leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel; Belt-Minder®; LATCH; Remote keyless entry; SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system; Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
Optional features include: 17-inch cast-aluminum wheels; 18-inch machined-aluminum wheels; 18-inch chrome-clad wheels; Control Trac® 4WD; Audiophile AM/FM in-dash, six-CD/MP3 player with subwoofer and audio input jack; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD system; Leather-trimmed, two-tone front sport buckets with two-way adjustable headrests; Ten-way power driver and four-way manual passenger seats with recline and manual lumbar; Rear 60/40 split bench with two-way head restraints, integrated seat restraints for middle occupant; Power Code remote start; Premium carpeted floor mats; Adjustable pedals; Cargo cage and bed extender; Cross bars for roof rails; Heated windshield; Power moonroof; Reverse Sensing System; Daytime running lights.