2008 Explorer Sport Trac Overview
- More technology options. Two exciting new technologies are available for 2008 models: available voice activation for the optional navigation system and the industry-exclusive Ford Sync hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system.
- More standard features. 2008 sees several standard features added, including: a drop-in storage bin with power points; Safety Canopy? side curtain air bags; the Convenience Package on Limited series; fog lamps and power rear window.
- More colors. Three new colors are added to the palette for 2008: Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and White Suede Clearcoat.
- Convenient power windows. The power rear window and one-touch up/down drivers window (late availability) are effective conveniences to increase comfort.
- Fog lamps. Now standard, the fog lamps help punch up the rugged exterior styling while providing increased driver confidence.
- A touch of leather. The leather-wrapped steering wheel gives a more comfortable grip and a feel of greater interior sophistication.
- Added storage. The drop-in storage bin with power point enjoyed great customer demand, prompting its integration as a new standard feature.
- Safety Canopy?. This side curtain air bag system gives a greater sense of security to the driver and passengers.
- The standard chrome-finished grille for a bold front end.
- A powerdome aluminum hood for a stronger appearance.
- Pronounced wheel arches, helping to provide a rugged stance.
- The C-pillar arch serves as visual distinction between people space and cargo room.
- A hardy 4.5-foot cargo box lined with corrosion-proof sheet molded composite (SMC) material and lined with dent-proof and scratch-resistant material for protection from hard use.
- Three integrated cargo bins are recessed into the bed of the truck for versatile, convenient storage.
- The cargo cage bed extender and Tonneau cover, which remain highly popular with customers.
- Sport-designed seat styles and Tuflor? rubber floor coverings for tough utility and easy maintenance.
- A class-exclusive heated windshield adds convenience in cold weather conditions.
- Five-passenger seating benefits from significant engineering, resulting in a quieter, more comfortable cabin.
- The standard audio system features a CD player with MP3 compatibility, and can be upgraded to the available six-disc, in-dash CD player with powered subwoofer.
- Integrated SIRIUS® Satellite Radio also is available.
- The 4.0-liter V-6 is rated at 210 horsepower at 5,100 rpm and 254 pound-feet of torque at 3,700 rpm.
- The 4.0-liter, equipped with a standard 5-speed automatic, delivers a maximum 5,310 pounds of towing capacity and 1,450 pounds of payload.
- The V-6 meets federal Tier II, Bin 4 tailpipe emissions.
- The 4.6-liter, 3-valve V-8 delivers 292 horsepower the most horsepower in its class.
- The available 4.6-liter V-8 and 6-speed transmission deliver a maximum 6,800 pounds of towing capacity and 1,390 pounds of payload.
- The V-8 meets federal Tier II Bin 5 standards, which is compliant with Californias Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) standards.
- AdvanceTrac? with industry-exclusive RSC® (Roll Stability Control)
- Advanced restraints module and dual front-crash sensors
- Five-level front-passenger sensing system
- Driver-seat position sensor
- Dual-stage front air bags
- Adaptive load-limiting safety-belt retractors
- Adaptive front-passenger-seat air-bag tether
- Adaptive air bag venting
- Adaptive-stroking steering column.
Explorer Sport Trac is the unrestricted utility vehicle that delivers rugged styling, capable power and performance along with a versatile cargo area to take customers where they want to go. Blending the capable traits of Fords iconic F-150 pickup and refinement of the Explorer SUV vehicles that provided inspiration and elements in design and engineering Sport Trac is the best of both worlds and adds a growing number of standard features and exciting new technologies for the 2008 model year.
New standard features for 2008 include:
Fords exclusive Sync hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system will be available late in the model year. Ford Sync allows seamless integration of mobile phones and handheld media players via Bluetooth technology and USB connectivity. Voice activation is added to Sport Tracs available navigation system for 2008 as well.
Explorer Sport Trac is available in two series, XLT and Limited. Sport Trac is produced at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville, Ky.
Tough Truck Inspired Design and Equipment
Sport Trac offers an overt nod to its inspiration with a tough truck exterior drawn from the design of the Ford Explorer and Ford F-150. Specific elements of the tough exterior are:
A safe, comfortable interior fulfills the goal to create a passenger-friendly and truly capable truck/SUV hybrid. The sport interior includes:
Capable Power and Performance
Key considerations for Sport Tracs powertrain options are:
Either engine can be equipped with the Sport Tracs advanced Control Trac® four-wheel-drive system. Unlike less sophisticated systems, Control Trac® automatically transfers torque to the front wheels as needed to maintain maximum traction at all times. This increases safety and security without compromising fuel economy or NVH. In addition, the Control Trac® system features a torque-multiplying gear set (4×4 Low) in the transfer case for off-road applications that require extra power including deep sand, steep grades and towing a boat trailer out of water.
The Sport Tracs front suspension is a short- and long-arm design with coil-over shocks. The rear suspension is independent with a patent-pending, trailing blade design.
Sizable four-wheel disc brakes are standard, as is the four-wheel, four-channel anti-lock braking system with electronic brake force distribution. The package creates a balanced chassis with ride and handling that is unrivaled in its segment.
Key features and options:
Optional features include: 17-inch cast-aluminum wheels; 18-inch machined-aluminum wheels; 18-inch chrome-clad wheels; Control Trac® 4WD; Audiophile AM/FM in-dash, six-CD/MP3 player with subwoofer and audio input jack; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD system; Leather-trimmed, two-tone front sport buckets with two-way adjustable headrests; Ten-way power driver and four-way manual passenger seats with recline and manual lumbar; Rear 60/40 split bench with two-way head restraints, integrated seat restraints for middle occupant; Power Code remote start; Premium carpeted floor mats; Adjustable pedals; Cargo cage and bed extender; Cross bars for roof rails; Heated windshield; Power moonroof; Reverse Sensing System; Daytime running lights.