2008 Explorer Overview
- More features. Explorer adds more features for comfort and convenience for 2008, including: industry-exclusive Ford Sync hands-free communications and entertainment system (late availability), voice-activated navigation system and new 20-inch wheels (late availability).
- Innovative technology. Explorer is the first Ford vehicle to receive the new capless fuel filling system (late availability).
- Added safety. Safety Canopy? side curtain air bags are now standard on all series.
- More Choices. With 12 available arrays and many package options, Explorer is the class leader in comprehensive equipment levels.
- New colors. Three new exterior colors are added for 2008: Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and White Suede Clearcoat Metallic.
- Ford Sync, Fords industry-exclusive, voice-activated hands-free in-car communications and entertainment system. This available system fully integrates mobile phones and handheld media players into the vehicle using Bluetooth technology and USB connectivity.
- Available voice-activated navigation system. Explorers available navigation system can be voice activated for more convenient hands-free operation.
- New standard conveniences. One-touch up/down drivers window (late availability) is another newly added standard features on all levels for 2008. Limited models also receive standard power adjustable pedals with memory and Homelink.
- Safety Canopy side curtain air bags
- Advanced Restraints Module and Dual Front-Crash Sensors
- Five-Level Front-Passenger Sensing System
- Adaptive Load-Limiting Safety Belt Retractors
- Front-Passenger Seat Adaptive Air Bag Tether
- Adaptive Air Bag Venting
- Adaptive Stroking Steering Column
- Front-Seat Side Air Bags
- AdvanceTrac? with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)
- Dual-Stage Front Air Bags
- Driver-Seat Position Sensor
- LATCH child restraint system in rear outboard seats
Since its introduction, the Ford Explorer has delivered confidence and customer-oriented design. It leads the mid-size SUV segment in sales, and remains the first choice when looking for a vehicle that will serve family adventures well. For 2008, Explorer adds new technology and safety features while still meeting the needs of SUV customers with its generous interior and capable towing performance.
For the 2008 model year, Explorer gives a nod to increasing customer demand for seamless connectivity, offering two new technologies voice-activated navigation and the industry-exclusive Ford Sync hands-free communications and entertainment system. Additionally, the 2008 Explorer debuts Fords new capless fuel filling system. Ford Safety Canopy? also becomes standard on all 2008 Explorer models to provide increased confidence and security.
Explorer is available in XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited trims. All Explorers are produced in Louisville, Ky.
Never Lose Your Gas Cap Again
The system could prove to benefit the environment as well. The capless fuel system provides a much better seal than a cap, as it isnt opened until the fuel pump nozzle is inserted. When capless fueling is completed, the nozzle is removed and the system seals shut automatically.
Refined Design and Added Conveniences
New for 2008, XLT models now include standard body color bumper and wheel lip moldings for a more classic, seamless appearance. The Eddie Bauer and Limited editions also see slight refinements in exterior design. Eddie Bauer models receive standard Pueblo Gold colored accent step bars and Limited adds a standard chrome accent step bar. Finally, the exterior palette is updated with three new finishes: Stone Green Clearcoat Metallic, Vapor Silver Clearcoat Metallic and White Suede Clearcoat.
For 2008, several convenience features find their way into the vehicle, including:
Smooth, Efficient Power
The V-8 delivers low emissions as well. It qualifies for the stringent Tier II, Bin 5 federal standard, which is compliant with Californias Low Emissions Vehicle II (LEV II) standard.
Explorers standard 4.0-liter V-6 engine is also very clean, meeting federal Tier II, Bin 4 emissions requirements to achieve Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle II (ULEV II) status.
The Safety Leader
These standard safety features contributed to Explorers recognition as the only full-size SUV to receive the governments highest frontal crash test rating for six consecutive years.
Major Features and Options
Eddie Bauer adds: Automatic headlights; Two-tone front and rear bumpers; Chrome three-bar grille with nostrils; Black roof rails; Pueblo Gold step bars; 17-inch, painted aluminum wheels with all-season tires; Accent-color wheel lip moldings; Wood-grain interior accents; Overhead console; Four-line message center; Electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror; Leather-trimmed, 10-way, power, low-back driver sport bucket seat; Leather-trimmed, manual passenger seat; Keyless entry with keypad.
Limited adds: Body-color front and rear bumpers; Chrome four-bar grille; Chrome heated, power exterior mirrors; Chrome roof rails with black end caps; Chrome accent step bars; 18-inch, chrome-clad wheels with all-season tires; Unique interior wood-grain accents; Dual-zone electronic climate control; Power-adjustable pedals with memory; Homelink; Audiophile AM/FM audio system with six-disc in-dash CD, MP3 player and subwoofer; Auxiliary climate control; Unique floor console; Reverse Sensing System; Heated, leather-trimmed, low-back driver and passenger sport bucket seats; Leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and audio controls; Third-row 50/50 manual fold-flat seats.
Options include: Ford Sync (late availability); Capless fuel filling system (late availability); SIRIUS® Satellite Radio; Voice-activated navigation system; Rear-seat DVD entertainment system; Quad bucket seating; PowerFold third-row seat; Trailer Tow package; Eddie Bauer Luxury Package; Convenience Group; Ironman Package; Sun and Satellite Package; Auxiliary climate control; Cargo shade; Heated windshield; Reverse Sensing System; Power moonroof; Power-deployable running boards; Power adjustable pedals with memory.