PRAVEEN CHERIAN: HIGH-FLYING PROGRAM MANAGER WANTS FORD’S ELECTRIC VEHICLES TO SOAR
Praveen Cherian, program manager, Ford Transit Connect All-Electric Version
Click here to download related images.
- Praveen Cherian, program manager for the all-electric version of the Ford Transit Connect, is motivated by tangible results and is a strong advocate for teamwork
- Cherian served as launch leader for the Ford Mustang program before joining the hybrid group in 2005
- He also was program leader for the all-new 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid – winner of the 2010 Car of the Year award at the North American International Auto Show
- A father of two, Cherian has an avid interest in aviation, used to pilot a private plane and plans to take it up again when his sons are older
When the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and 2010 Ford Transit Connect won the Car and Truck of the Year awards at the 2010 North American International Auto Show, engineer Praveen Cherian couldn’t have been more thrilled. He was the program leader for the Fusion Hybrid and he’s the program manager for the all-electric version of the Transit Connect coming out later this year.
“Just as the Fusion was the perfect platform for a hybrid electric powertrain, the Transit Connect is the perfect platform for an electric powertrain,” Cherian said. “Being able to build on a successful, flexible platform is fantastic for Ford and its customers.”
Prior to joining the hybrid and electric vehicle team in 2005, Cherian was the launch leader for Ford Mustang. When he transitioned to the Fusion Hybrid team, he translated his passion for performance into a fetish for fuel efficiency.
“Hybrid and electric vehicles are game-changers for Ford,” said Cherian. “For us to trump the competition and execute so well has changed the perception of Ford’s leadership in this technology.”
Teamwork, he said, continues to be essential to Ford’s forward-focused vehicle programs.
“Our success comes not from just one thing, but from hundreds of ideas,” Cherian said. “While our competitors are out to make a statement with their hybrids, our team came together to deliver a family-size sedan that is fun to drive and gets great fuel economy, and now we’re committed to delivering an energy-efficient alternative for commercial vehicle customers.”
Personal Insights and Fun Facts
- Praveen and his wife Camilla have two boys, Luke, 4, and Jake, 2, who like to say their dad works on “zebra cars” because Praveen frequently drives test cars covered in zebra camouflage
- Praveen grew up in India and is a U.S. citizen
- He earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at Bharathiar University in India and a master’s degree in mechanical engineering at the University of Cincinnati
- Praveen has an avid interest in aviation and used to be a private pilot. He says he plans to pick it up again once his boys are a bit older
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 198,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com .
March 31, 2010