FORD FUSION AND FUSION HYBRID CONTINUE MOMENTUM IN 2010; MORE THAN 60 PERCENT OF BUYERS NEW TO FORD
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Click here to download related images.
- Ford Fusion and Fusion Hybrid – America’s most fuel-efficient midsize sedan – are luring customers from other brands at a record pace with consideration from import shoppers at an all-time high
- Fusion sales to buyers new to Ford rose to 60 percent of total Fusion sales in February, up from 54 percent in January and 49 percent in 2009; Fusion Hybrid sales to buyers new to Ford increased to 82 percent last month from 70 percent in January and 63 percent in 2009
- Consumers want new features and smart technology, with half opting to buy high series models – Fusion Hybrid, Sport and SEL
DEARBORN, Mich., March 5, 2010 – The 2010 Ford Fusion and Fusion Hybrid, fresh off a sales record and a string of awards in 2009, are attracting more buyers who are new to the Ford brand than ever before.
The Fusion, redesigned in 2009, saw “conquest sales,” or sales to customers new to Ford, increase to 60 percent of total Fusion sales in February, up 6 percentage points from January and up 11 percentage points from the 2009 calendar year. The percentage of customers new to Ford purchasing the Fusion Hybrid reached 82 percent last month, up 12 points from January and 19 points from 2009.
Fusion competes in a segment long dominated by some of the best-selling cars in the market, including Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. Sales of the new Fusion Hybrid account for almost 20 percent of total Fusion retail sales and more than 60 percent of Fusion Hybrid sales have been to customers coming from import brands, including Honda, Nissan and Toyota.
Fusion’s share of the midsize car segment in 2010 has increased to 12.2 percent, up 4.4 points from the 7.8 percent share in the first two months of 2009. Like it did in 2009, Fusion posted the largest share gain in the segment of any competitor.
Winning new buyers in the midsize segment is another indication that American car buyers value the craftsmanship and fuel economy offered across Ford’s lineup.
“It’s extraordinary that a car could set sales records and continue to excel in an environment where overall industry sales in the midsize segment are down 19 percent from a year ago,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president of Marketing and Sales and Service.
Since the introduction of the redesigned Fusion in March 2009, the car has set monthly sales records for the nameplate in every month but one. In 2009, sales increased 22 percent to a record 180,671. Over the course of the year, Fusion’s share of the midsize car market increased from 7.0 percent in 2008 to 10.5 percent in 2009. The gain – 3.5 points – was the largest gain for any car in the segment.
Over the first two months of 2010, momentum continued after the Fusion Hybrid, with industry-leading fuel economy, won key awards – including being named North American Car of the Year and winning the MOTOR TREND Car of the Year award.
Ford plans to build on its success in the car market with the upcoming launch of the Fiesta and Focus in the coming 12 months. Both vehicles, offering unmatched features and technology in their segments, are expected to follow Fusion in luring buyers from competing brands.
“This is very encouraging for our upcoming product introductions, because Fusion is the standard bearer for Ford’s product strategy, delivering best-in-class quality, fuel efficiency, safety and smart technology, which of course all adds up to a terrific value proposition for our customers,” said Czubay. “These are the drivers of our share and revenue improvements.”
The 2010 Fusion Hybrid is the most fuel-efficient sedan in America. Fusion offers more power, class-exclusive technologies, such as Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) and Ford SYNC®, and more total passenger and luggage capacity than the Toyota Camry.
According to Fusion Marketing Manager Jonathan Richards, the diversity of the 2010 Fusion lineup is drawing a growing number of customers to the brand.
“There is no reason for customers shopping for a midsize sedan to look beyond the Fusion, because the lineup offers something for everyone – a Hybrid model, a Sport version and a new selection of gas-powered engines paired with a six-speed transmission,” Richards said.
“Fusion Hybrid, Sport and SEL models account for 50 percent of sales,” said Richards. “Data also show that customers are embracing technology offerings such as voice-activated navigation, SYNC and Sony® Audio.”
The Fusion Hybrid delivers an EPA estimated 41 mpg rating in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, topping the Toyota Camry hybrid by 8 mpg in the city and 2 mpg on the highway. It also offers innovative new technology – SmartGauge™ with EcoGuide – that coaches hybrid drivers to maximize fuel efficiency.
According to early 2010 survey data obtained in the 2009 U.S. Global Quality Research System (GQRS), the 2010 Fusion Hybrid has the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any Ford vehicle ever. The survey was conducted for Ford Motor Company by RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
Awards and accolades for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid include:
- 2010 North American Car of the Year
- MOTOR TREND Car of the Year Award
- One of CAR and DRIVER Magazine’s “10Best” Cars for 2010
- One of AUTOMOBILE Magazine’s 2010 All-Stars
- 2009 “Top Safety Pick” rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- 2009 Ward’s Interior of the Year Special Achievement Award for Best Graphic Display for SmartGauge with EcoGuide digital instrument cluster
- Great Car for the Long-haul Salesman by Kelley Blue Book kbb.com
- One of America’s Top 40 New Cars by MOTOR TREND magazine
- Rated the No. 1 Hybrid Family Sedan by CAR and DRIVER in a recent comparison test by the magazine
- 2009 and 2010 Editors Choice for Fuel Sipper by CAR and DRIVER Magazine
- Best Hybrid for the Money in the Midsize Car segment by cars.com
- One of 2009 Top 10 Green Cars by Kelley Blue Book kbb.com
- The Detroit News Readers’ Choice Award for “Best Value”
- 2010 Consumers Digest Best Buy
- Detroit Free Press 2010 Car of the Year
- 2010 Most Environmentally Progressive Car of the Year by Earth, Wind & Power
- 10 Best Engine by Ward’s Auto World
- One of Top 10 Family Cars for 2010 by Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session
cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 198,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit ....
To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts