Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

PVC Pipe Airlines

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
oldcoupe42
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVC Pipe Airlines

I know a few guys that have "plumbed" their air compressors using this stuf and I was wondering what the PSI ratings are and if it is safe enough for a 150 PSI compressor ? I would like to mount the unit in my garage attic and make several air staions with retractable reals

Thanks, Chet

Old 03-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Check the Read First: FAQ section at the top of this forum for more info re PVC pipe. It absolutely must not be used for air line. There are many threads here on this subject. Use copper or iron pipe only.

Just because some poor soul has built a bomb in his shop does not mean that you should.

Last edited by Torque1st; 03-26-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Runum
New User
This topic has probably been well covered in the past. Most people will tell you not to use it and they have some very valid points backing up there opinion. I am not telling anyone yes or no, just my own experience. I have a 60 gallon comperessor mounted outside and it runs 150 psi at the compressor. I have a regulator inside the shop that knocks it down to 120 psi. My shop is 28 x 32 and I have pvc lines all through it. I put in drops, water traps, and even have a tap outside the front of the shop for filling tires. All totaled up I have about 50 feet of the pvc and it has been in use for 18 years. I have read about the risk of bursting and i understand it. I installed this system before all of this info was known to me. The up side is I don't have any in line corrosion. The down side is fighting the moisture in the lines. Good luck with your choice.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Runum, you have been lucky. Get out and replace that line so you no longer have a time bomb and you get better moisture control. Do it before someone is injured or killed. Just because it is "working" does not make it right. Right now if a neighbor was injured and he could prove by your posts here that you knew of the hazard his lawyers would have a field day with you.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:43 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
I dont know why so many people want to take the easy way out with this stuff. I would rather just drag the hose across the garage than take a chance with PVC.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:25 PM
oldcoupe42
Tuned
Gentleman, I appologise for not reading the FAQ 1st. I promise to use black iron pipe. My neibor is a plumber with an electric pipe threader.

Chet

Old 03-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
You have it made then.

Code says use black iron pipe. I like to use galvanized to avoid the rust problems but some people have reported flaking problems. Copper is also used widely. Read some of the threads here on the subject. There is a ton of info on shop air system materials and design for moisture control.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:04 AM
HOTWRENCH
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Air Lines

Another alternative to steel or copper , is nylon air brake tubing. Fairly cheap @ easy to use. It is designed for all temps, and is rated to 300+psi . flexable but tough.
Have a good day HOTWRENCH

Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
The nylon tubing will not cool the air properly to dump the moisture out. PVC has the same problem. Copper works best for this cooling function. I have used a lot of nylon airline on machinery.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:37 AM
bigredsbronco
Senior User
copper is always best

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
sparky30_06
Senior User
Torque you know is "time bomb" your favorite saying??
ok explain this to me. how is air psi different from liquid psi??
also have you ever seen what happens when metal tubing fails especially when it has had moisture in it and has some scale rust in there??? i have and it's not pretty i'll take my chances with plastic and sure won't run out of someones garage or shop screaming cause they have pvc air lines.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
zuhound
Senior User
I work for a large plumbing wholesaler and our neighbors across the street are Charlotte Pipe and Foundry's plastics division. Check out their warranty info under products and it states in red letters that even testing PVC piping under air pressure is not recommended. Enough for me. If you want a more definitive explanation let me know and I'll e-mail my contact there and post what his reply.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
Eric always gives great responses, but I think the answer is probably volume. You can fit a greater volume of pressurized air into your PVC than you can water. More volume, more potential.

Try this: Blow up one balloon with air and another with water. ***** each with a pin. The air balloon will explode, the water balloon will either dribble water or gush and deflate. I was testing a 100 ton hydaulic ram at limits a while back when the SS tube to the gauge blew off. It squirted a little, so I got a better fitting and off I went. Had it been air, it could have been bad.

Copper and steel tend to rip when under stress, PVC shatters into sharp pieces that fly around at high speeds. Copper works well for those with rust phobias.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Sparky- Air pressure is way different from water pressure. It is a volume expansion problem. Same reason they proof test pressure vessels with water or oil, no BOOM!!!

PVC used for air lines is a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode.

PVC is similar to styrene when it breaks, it shatters like regular glass instead of just split and bend like metal. The PVC shards act like a fragmentation grenade and can kill and maim anyone in the vicinity. Take some PVC out and hit it with a hammer and then do the same thing to a piece of copper or steel pipe. Wear good eye and skin protection tho.

PVC is also illegal to use for airlines and all of the manufacturers have warnings posted NOT to use it for compressed gas.

Just remember if someone is injured because of your PVC airlines and their lawyers find out that you ignored warnings... oooops!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 AM
sparky30_06
Senior User
i have been around both pvc and steel when it has exploded orhas been crushed when it was under pressure i know what it looks like and what it does. if you want to walk around all day long thinking of how some lawyer can come after you well then you better crawl into a cave and never come out. each there own. thanks for your attempted description of the pressure difference.

Quick Reply: PVC Pipe Airlines