4X4 Hole-In-The-Rock, Utah April, 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
4X4 Hole-In-The-Rock, Utah April, 2005

My plan is to start outside Bluff, UT on Saturday morning and drive as much of the 125 year old road/trail as possible to Halls Crossing. Then on Monday go in the difficult 4x4 trail south of Halls crossing. This part is rated as an 8. Unless I have a bunch that want hike to the bottom of Cottonwood hill I will drive out on Tuesday.

I am available to go out early and stay late. Lots of stuff to do Utah so if you have something you want to do let me know and I'll do my best to work it in.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:13 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
We are still on for Monday April 18 going in and back out on Tuesday April 19. I'm still open to spend a little time in Moab before (I'd like to take a look at Poison Spider). And have been asked about the possibility of Hotel Rock after. Elephant Hill would be nice also.

I have the info on Halls Crossing. I have been told you need to contact Lake Powell Resorts. 1-800-528-6154 or 1-928-645-2433 and ask for "family units" at Halls Crossing Marina. Lake Powel was so low last year they shut down the ferry and marina last year. They even closed down the Ranger station. The airport should still be open with gasoline. Just might get a shower in Blanding to be safe.

I have a bunch of stuff going on this week. But I'll try to make contact sometime and see if there is any info for what is available this year.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Ok I called the 1-800 number for Lake Powell Resorts. The familay units are available and you can make a reservation. They sleep 8. They are three bedroom house trailers with I think 2 baths and a sleeper sofa. Full kitchen with utinsals and place settings. Cost is around $150 a night. Not bad if you can split it 4 ways. This is where I plan to get a shower Sunday night. They also have camp sites for RV's and tents also.

Right now I plan on camping on the trail near a place called the "Fort". Camping is on public land and is free. But bring everything you need with you. All that is provided is a place to park and a fire ring made from rocks. On my first trip to HITR I flat towed a heep behind my 1/2 PU to this location. After you cross the creek though it's time to lock in the hubs.

Still don't have before and after nailed down. My friends from Texas wants to go in on Monday. Out on Tuesday. Go up and do Elephant on Wednesday. Then Poison Spider on Thursday. So the plan is to camp/stay at Halls Crossing Sunday night. Camp near Cottonwood Hill at the end of HITR trail Monday night. Camp/stay near Halls Crossing Tuesday night. Camp/stay in the Moab area Wednesday and Thursday night. We might not make Moab Wednesday night. That's a big move and about 6hrs. on the highway plus Elephant and any other side trips. We were thinking about putting Hotel Rock in front of Elephant. Just have to wait and see.

As I siad I plan on camping on public land every night. But nothing is written in stone. Just keeping everyone updated. Showers are available in Halls Crossing, Blanding, and Moab. Lodging is available in those plus Monticello. Monticello may have showers I just can't remember taking one there. Fuel is available in those places plus the Airport at the turn off for HITR and the entrance to Canyonlands where we go in to do Elephant.

Trailers should be doable on this part of the trip.

If you want to make this trip and have something you want to do just speak up. I can't plan it if I don't know about it. And others may have the trip full with other requests if you wait. Just 2 months and 2 weeks to go.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
99PSDCREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used to own the Moab KOA from 1982 to 1994. Lots of 4wheelers would checkin for just a day to get relaxed and cleaned up after "roughin it". Just an idea, plus they have cabins now too...
I did two Jeep Safaris, last one in 1995...
Kinda miss Moab, beautiful place. My dad still lives there and works at the Moab Information Center. Just chiming in....

Old 02-09-2005, 06:04 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Well thanks for the info. I like to grab a shower at the camp ground across the street from Mc Donalds. I have more than likely talked to your dad at the info center. They have closed some of the public camping and put restrictions a lot more near Moab. So I have broken down and stayed at Slick Rock before. The broken down was for real. I hurt my A4LD in my 89 Bronco II on Hotel Rock and needed a place to stay the night as stores were closed by the time I made it in.

I'm from KS where we have no public land. So I want to camp out as much as I can. Hope you can make it for this one. If not, maybe for the next trip.