Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Thinking about buying a salvage vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying a salvage vehicle...

Hey everyone, I am considering buying a light to moderately wrecked F-150 for a project. I know there are at least 3 members on here who have, or are rebuilding 12th gen f-150s, but i welcome anyone's comments.
The particular pickup i am looking at is a 2011 Lariat 5.0 ecsb 4x4. This one has what i would call light frond end damage. It looks to me like the frame is straight. Maybe its just the pics, but it appears the tailgate latch is a bit off?
The obvious, it needs a bumper, bumper pad, grille, hood latch, front fender, and fender flares, am i missing something? This pickup has 176,200 on it. It looks like the interior is a little damaged, but repairable.
If i were to buy, what is a fair price? I assume the ST in the description indicates salvage title? Thanks for your time everyone.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
salvage vehicles are not worth much. if you can get it very cheap.....MAYBE. I personally would not fool with it. and I have fixed wrecks.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
It's not the big stuff, it's the little stuff.

IMO depending on what you do for a living, unless it's auto repair and you have access to all the tools etc, you are money ahead working extra or working OT at your regular job and buying a runner.

That truck has value as a source of parts to sell. If it was economical to fix it, the insurance man would be on it.

That is not end of life mileage for the engine and other running gear, but it's certainly middle age.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
salvage vehicles are not worth much. if you can get it very cheap.....MAYBE. I personally would not fool with it. and I have fixed wrecks.
Mind sharing what your definition of very cheap is?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
what would be its value if it was repaired with a salvage title? thats what I Would go by. then, how much to get the parts to fix everything? and then, can you fix it yourself? or you paying someone?

Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
what would be its value if it was repaired with a salvage title? thats what I Would go by. then, how much to get the parts to fix everything? and then, can you fix it yourself? or you paying someone?
I would guess repaired salvage title value would be $8-10K I would be doing most repair work by myself with the help of family, may paint myself, or may have someone do it. Really just contemplating ideas for a future pickup.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 PM
KSUfan86
New User
If that is Oxford white, you will likely be able to buy the fender, hood, and the upper bumper piece from salvage with the correct paint code. That should save you from having to paint. That was the largest single expense on my project.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would check with you local tag office. Some states you can not get plates for a salvage titled vehicle. So, it would be off road use only.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
paintballdude05
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm just about done the rebuild on my '12 XLT. This was my first wreck, and it's probably my last for some time. I'll echo some of what's already been said. First and foremost make sure you can actually drive the vehicle on the road legally. Research your state's rules around salvaged vehicles and what's required to put them on the road. Some jurisdictions have little to no restrictions, others require you to jump through hoops to get it done. Also as mentioned, it's the little things that will kill your budget. There are a bunch of small parts that break in a colision, stuff you won't find or think of until you're in the middle of it all. Clips and heat shields, $5, $10,$20 parts that just add up. Not to mention bigger stuff that looks just fine and would still function, but should be changed because of a small defect. Case in point, my airbox that appeared fine but had two broken mounting tabs. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy a second truck as a donor for parts (buy one truck with front end, the other with rear end damage).

One last thing, as far as buying from Copart make sure you account for all the fees they'll charge you. Plan out a way of transporting the vehicle if you win it and get that cost down. I bought my truck site unseen from out of province so it was quite nerve racking.

If you plan on buying a vehicle in order to flip it when you're done it most likely won't be worth it. As mentioned previously, trucks with salvage tittles don't have a very good resale. Furthermore, some insurance companies won't even insure your if your vehicle has a salvage/ rebuilt tittle.

Here's my thread on my rebuild from another site:

https://www.f150forum.com/f78/2012-f...ebuild-338172/

Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by paintballdude05
I'm just about done the rebuild on my '12 XLT. This was my first wreck, and it's probably my last for some time. I'll echo some of what's already been said. First and foremost make sure you can actually drive the vehicle on the road legally. Research your state's rules around salvaged vehicles and what's required to put them on the road. Some jurisdictions have little to no restrictions, others require you to jump through hoops to get it done. Also as mentioned, it's the little things that will kill your budget. There are a bunch of small parts that break in a colision, stuff you won't find or think of until you're in the middle of it all. Clips and heat shields, $5, $10,$20 parts that just add up. Not to mention bigger stuff that looks just fine and would still function, but should be changed because of a small defect. Case in point, my airbox that appeared fine but had two broken mounting tabs. If I were to do it again, I'd probably buy a second truck as a donor for parts (buy one truck with front end, the other with rear end damage).

One last thing, as far as buying from Copart make sure you account for all the fees they'll charge you. Plan out a way of transporting the vehicle if you win it and get that cost down. I bought my truck site unseen from out of province so it was quite nerve racking.

If you plan on buying a vehicle in order to flip it when you're done it most likely won't be worth it. As mentioned previously, trucks with salvage tittles don't have a very good resale. Furthermore, some insurance companies won't even insure your if your vehicle has a salvage/ rebuilt tittle.

Here's my thread on my rebuild from another site:

https://www.f150forum.com/f78/2012-f...ebuild-338172/
Thanks for your reply Paintball, I have been following your build for the last 8-10 months, and cant wait to see it finished! If you don't mind, maybe you could start a thread on it over here too?

I checked on licensing in my state, and it looks like I will have to get it inspected once it is rebuilt. If i were to buy this, i would be able to borrow a trailer from my Dad, and go get the pickup myself.

Thanks for all the good points, I'll probably pass on this pickup, but am still interested in what it sells for. I will probably buy a similar pickup when i am out of college in a few years.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:24 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
WAG alert: Sale price on a salvage title vehicle might could be 25 to 50% lower than a similar "clean title" vehicle. I would expect a pickup to be towards the higher end of the discount.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Well, my desire to spend some of my money is now tamed as I had the opportunity to buy some cattle. I have no intentions to get a loan and buy a wrecked pickup, as mine runs great (except for when their is mud in the alternator). Thanks everyone for the input.