1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 F250 Sport Custom LB SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM
cyretired2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 F250 Sport Custom LB SC

A few questions for my new acquisition please. (well maybe more than a few )
The Truck has been rebuilt, engine and drive train. I plan to finish the restoration.
1. Has anyone installed an aftermarket cruise control on a '72 F250? If so can you tell me which one? (live in a rural area, long drives to nowhere)
2. I'm getting to paint it the original colors (2 tone) I've been quoted about 4 to 5k just to start, (pro shop) is that about right? No dents or rust that I can see.
3. The bed is not in bad shape ether, I'm thinking of a spray in bed or is it better to paint it and use a mat?
3. I plan to polish the anodized aluminum trim (no dents but looks real bad ) is that wise?
Lastly can you buy a hard bed cover for this truck?? Having problems finding one.
Thanks for your help

Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off welcome to FTE. Paint can get expensive. There's a lot more than just putting the color on. Like they say 95% body work, 5% spraying. If you're going 2 stage, base coat / clear coat depending on brand the paint alone could be $1000.00 . As for the bed floor that's personal preference. What do you plan on using the truck for? If you're hauling stuff then Berliner would be OK, otherwise a nice painted bed that you put a mat in is my vote. The trim can be polished up nice.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome to the FTE Forum!! Have you looked at: National Parts Depot, MacsAutoParts.com, LMCtruck.com or Summit racing for your needs? Also be sure to check out :Read First: Technical Info Hyperlink Compilation ( 1 2) HIO Silver, at the top of the forum page

Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 AM
cyretired2
Junior User
Great

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Good advice above.

I would add that polishing your aluminum trim will be pretty involved. The anodizing is a pretty tough surface and should be stripped. I did my headlight bezels with caustic soda (sodium hydroxide, found in crystal drano) and it worked well, but it's tricky and dangerous stuff. Then sand and polish, polish, polish, polish...

Welcome to the forum, this is a great bunch here. Post pics of your truck.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 AM
cyretired2
Junior User
Thanks

I'm retired have lots of time. I read somewhere you can use oven cleaner as well, have you heard that one? Thank for your time.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cyretired2
I'm retired have lots of time. I read somewhere you can use oven cleaner as well, have you heard that one? Thank for your time.
I tried oven cleaner and got nuthin. My guess is that the formula they use changed and so it no longer works on anodizing.

The Drano worked, and FAST, so be careful not to dissolve your trim.

It will eat skin and blind you if you get it in your eyes, so wear chemical resistant gloves and a face shield.

Here's a pretty good thread on the subject: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...storation.html

Old 03-28-2017, 03:36 PM
cyretired2
Junior User
Sounds good

Looks good, I'll try a small spot first on old left over molding. I was a chemical process operator/foreman for 30 years so I know what you're saying. I've decided to buy a new molding set for 500 bucks, och! since they will take them all off for painting anyway I'll have them replaced with the new ones. Keep the old ones for spares. However the grill and such I'll do myself. It has a funky looking rear step bumper with wielded on receiver that use to be silver. It is a strong bumper though. I'll try new paint (black or body color maybe?) but I like the regular chrome rear bumper or pan no bumper. We'll see. The truck colors will be gold-ish over pearl white sides and cab roof.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the best Bumpside kingdom.

Well, I installed a cruise control unit in my 5 speed stick trans. It's all a electronic unit now days no more vacuum units like back in the day.

It's fairly easy if you can follow instructions an have some what smarts of how to logical thinking.
To make it easy get the drive line magnetic pickup sensor unit.

I wiped out the driveline sensor unit cause the plastic tie-wrap came loose.
So my fix was JB weld epoxy the magnet onto the driveline and used a regular tie wrap to hold it in place.
Orich
Got this unit from Summit it's a universal add on unit.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Orich, odd you install an "off" switch on your clutch pedal.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 PM
cyretired2
Junior User
What color

I was going to get a chrome bumper to replace my industrial strength step bumper, (Man that thing is massive and U GA LY) but money is getting in the way. Maybe later. It use to be silver, can't decide what color to paint it. I found a speckle kind of dimple look silver paint that may look nice or just paint it black, maybe even body color. Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 AM
cyretired2
Junior User
Originally Posted by orich
Welcome to the best Bumpside kingdom.

Well, I installed a cruise control unit in my 5 speed stick trans. It's all a electronic unit now days no more vacuum units like back in the day.

It's fairly easy if you can follow instructions an have some what smarts of how to logical thinking.
To make it easy get the drive line magnetic pickup sensor unit.

I wiped out the driveline sensor unit cause the plastic tie-wrap came loose.
So my fix was JB weld epoxy the magnet onto the driveline and used a regular tie wrap to hold it in place.
Orich
Got this unit from Summit it's a universal add on unit.

Cool thanks

Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
I was going to get a chrome bumper to replace my industrial strength step bumper, (Man that thing is massive and U GA LY) but money is getting in the way. Maybe later. It use to be silver, can't decide what color to paint it. I found a speckle kind of dimple look silver paint that may look nice or just paint it black, maybe even body color. Any suggestions?
The original color is called Argent Silver, i believe. I used it to paint my rear bumper.

Rally Wheel Paint Silver Aerosol 12 oz

Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 AM
cyretired2
Junior User
Looks like it

Looks like it, how many cans did you use and did spray clear over it? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like it, how many cans did you use and did spray clear over it? Thanks for the help.
One can got me two coats over a grey primer. It's a semi-gloss, so clear coat needed.

The finish is not perfect, but pretty good for a rattle can.

Quick Reply: 1972 F250 Sport Custom LB SC