Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 ford 150 5.8 tranny ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 ford 150 5.8 tranny ?s

hi been a wile since been here but here is my problem. i have a 95 ford 150 with 5.8 in it auto tranny. this tranny blew up first day driveing after restoreing the rest of the truck. looks as though this truck tranny is for 1995 only from what im told . i can get another tranny the only one close in my area or i have a doner truck that is a 5 speed manual with the 5.0 in it can i put this tranny in my truck and just make it a 5 speed . i know in later years you could bolt a 302 tranny to a windsor is this still so in 95. my doner truck would be a 1993 truck. please help me out here the only auto tranny i found for it is out a truck with 255 thousand miles it comes with a 30 day warrenty for 400 bucks

Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 961 Likes on 761 Posts
What exactly happened to the trans? Did it literally explode with fluid and parts all over the ground or something more subtle?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
it blew all the fluid out the seals in the front and then im sure i smelled clutches burning weather pump went bad or other problems dont know i am a mechanic but have only messed with standard transmissions mostly i dont know much about automatics but it was shifting extreamly hard with no load on on the tranny and slipping a bit as well before it blew its blood every where

Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM
kregalmach1
Junior User
help help what happend to my tranny

please help what happened here

Old 03-27-2017, 02:19 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
kregalmach1: Can I tell you how I screwed up the E4OD in my 1995 Bronco? Well I changed the trans. filter, buttoned everything up, then replenished the trans. fluid and then checked the level and then checked it again and then drove it up and down the mountains and everywhere and then when I was pulling a trailer on the flats ... Holy crap it was spewing fluid everywhere leaving a trail on the road! So I pulled over and had it towed home and parked it for a couple of months.

Then after a couple of months, I thought: Well what if the seals are not actually blown, but just let the extra fluid (for when I must have over-filled it) blow out?

And so then I thought, how bad can it be to drive it? If I have already ruined it, it is going on a trip to John Wood* anyway. So, I checked the fluid and it was right where it should be.

Then I started driving it ... short distances only. But nothing happened.

So, I kept checking the fluid and it didn't go down. So I started driving it up and down the mountains and everywhere again. And (at least as far as the transmission is concerned) everything is good.

So don't underestimate the power of self-healing transmission seals (and Prayer).

* John Wood Automotive - Services

Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 961 Likes on 761 Posts
Originally Posted by kregalmach1
it blew all the fluid out the seals in the front it was shifting extremely hard with no load on on the tranny and slipping a bit as well before it blew its blood every where
Those two things are not uncommon with this trans unfortunately, but believe it or not it may not signal the end of your trans. First thing is to disconnect the cooler lines and blow them out with compressed air to make sure they're not plugged, then top up the trans and see if it has magically sealed itself up again. If it has then drive it.. you should be fine, if not then it will need a new seal. The hard shifting issue may have contributed to the fluid dump too, the computer jacks line pressure inside the trans when it loses contact with one of the main sensors so you need to pull codes and check into whatever is causing that, the main sensors include the TPS, speed input, and the shifter position sensor called the MLPS, issues with any of these signals will produce hard/late shifts and/or false neutrals.

Now if you still want to put a manual in it the one from the '93 will bolt right up, you will need the pedals too and a PCM for a 5.8/manual trans and of course a driveshaft that fits this powertrain combo in your chassis length, the one from the E4OD will be too short as that trans is longer than the manual.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 AM
kregalmach1
Junior User
thanks a bunch folks i did try to refill and drive again it would set and idle fine but soon as i put load on it it puked again so im sure the seal is done had enough this truck sat for the last 5 years and i just got done basicly restoreing it talked to a bud last evening and he said that if he remembered correctly that the tranny was slipping when the dude parked it so guess he got one over on me i only paid 500 for the truck so not all is lost but now however ive got about 3000 in rebuilding this truck including cuttin out alot of the frame in the rear and replaceing so all in all i got me a used good tranny and transfer case seeing when i got t case out it was sloppy as hell so just bought a used for 300 trany and t case it will go in this evening and then ill pull cobes and see wich sensors are killing it thanks again to all

Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
These old trucks need manual trannys anyway, part of what makes them special.