1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Shaking sputtering and loud rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking sputtering and loud rattling sound

2005 ford expedition 150,000

So the truck has been intermittently running rough the past couple of weeks. It was running fine cold and once warmed up it started making a hell of a racket under the hood. It would intermittently hesitate and shake upon acceleration and finally the check engine light came on the other day. Here are the codes below and all indicate (bank 2),

p0345
p0349
p0221

I took a shot and changed out the camshaft sensors. It ran great and quieter than ever for the first 10 minutes and once warmed up, the problem still exists. I had the battery disconnected while changing the sensors and checked with the scanner upon starting if they still showed up but were cleared already. I changed the vct solenoids last year. Im kinda lost as to where to check next. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
The chance of both the CPS and the TPS going bad at the same time is quite unrealistic. I'm more inclined to think you have an issue with the wiring at a place that's common to both circuits. By common I don't mean there's a common electrical point in the wiring because there isn't. I mean a place where both run near each other and might be damaged.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be the engine harness connector on the PCM, not so many places the wiring to all these sensors go together. Try to reseat the connector, and check if all the pins look good, no dirt, no moisture and so on.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Skauber
Could be the engine harness connector on the PCM, not so many places the wiring to all these sensors go together. Try to reset the connector, and check if all the pins look good, no dirt, no moisture and so on.
Where are those? The big harnesses on the passenger side firewall? Its sure worth a try. I posted a video, (doubt it will help anything other than the sound of the motor).
I reset the computer prior to the video. Since then and only a few miles, the P0345 code is the only one to come back.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Yeah, on passenger side there's three large connectors on a flat aluminum box, that's the PCM. One connector is the body harness connector, the next is the engine harness connector, the third is the transmission harness connector. I believe the smaller one is the transmission, and the two of the same size is the body and engine. Just try to follow where the harness go, the one that leads to the engine is the engine harness connector. Disconnect it by pulling the plastic bar on top, don't exert too much force on it or you might snap it. just pull it gently out. Inspect the pins and all to see if it's clean, no bent pins or anything. Could even spray some contact cleaner in there, then reseat the connector. I might even personally consider using dielectric grease or contact grease just to help prevent moisture from getting in there.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Yeah, on passenger side there's three large connectors on a flat aluminum box, that's the PCM. One connector is the body harness connector, the next is the engine harness connector, the third is the transmission harness connector. I believe the smaller one is the transmission, and the two of the same size is the body and engine. Just try to follow where the harness go, the one that leads to the engine is the engine harness connector. Disconnect it by pulling the plastic bar on top, don't exert too much force on it or you might snap it. just pull it gently out. Inspect the pins and all to see if it's clean, no bent pins or anything. Could even spray some contact cleaner in there, then reseat the connector. I might even personally consider using dielectric grease or contact grease just to help prevent moisture from getting in there.
Thank you for the info. I just tried that but they all look good. in 2014 there was squirrel damage and some wires under the hood were chewed apart. I just checked and the cam sensor wiring runs right through the loom of wires that were chewed apart and repaired (possibly also the tps wiring too). My scanner indicated bank 2 which I think on our trucks would be the driver side correct? I think tomorrow i will pull it all apart and see if there's anything visual. Possibly i will just rewire it to be sure. Its not in the easiest spot to work though. Right next to the fuel rail on the driver-side and behind the ps reservoir. Seems there are a lot of wires running through there and if I remember correctly, the critter chewed through about a dozen or so. Possibly something has disconnected, corroded or is touching another. I'll give an update on my findings if any.
Thanks for all of the help!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM
LeeG
New User
Not sure if this will help as i'm not anything close to mechanically inclined--but I will say that on my 06 expy i had a similar problem. All would run fine while cold but once it warmed up it would run rough at low rpms. Especially at a stop sign the engine would start to shake until i got it up to higher speeds again. A couple of times it would stall at stops/low speeds. The engine shaking got pretty severe at times. I changed both vct solenoids and now there is no problem at all... well i do believe one of my camshaft locking pins is loose because i can hear it rattle at low tip-in acceleration once it's warmed up.. but no more violent engine shaking--no more stalling--runs good. I believe I had the same codes you have. I see that you changed the solenoids last year--did you use motorcraft?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
So i think the problem has been pin pointed. I tore into the repaired wires and while all looked ok, i rewired it again and the problem seems to be resolved. Those damaged wires are actually running to the mass air sensor. However, im not very happy with the wiring job once again. The problem is, there is no wire left before it travels through the big loom that carries all the injector, coil etc wires along side the fuel rail and its not an easy spot to work. The squirrel chewed about an inch away from that point and so now with the 2nd repair i was working with even less wire. From here on out, its either open up that wire loom alongside the fuel rail (which could introduce a host of new problems) to expose more wire or order a new engine wire harness all together and be done with it. I already need a new mass air sensor harness because the clip broke (I have it rigged temporarily).
It shouldn't be that difficult (with the PS reservoir moved and intake tube removed) to change out the whole harness right?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by LeeG
Not sure if this will help as i'm not anything close to mechanically inclined--but I will say that on my 06 expy i had a similar problem. All would run fine while cold but once it warmed up it would run rough at low rpms. Especially at a stop sign the engine would start to shake until i got it up to higher speeds again. A couple of times it would stall at stops/low speeds. The engine shaking got pretty severe at times. I changed both vct solenoids and now there is no problem at all... well i do believe one of my camshaft locking pins is loose because i can hear it rattle at low tip-in acceleration once it's warmed up.. but no more violent engine shaking--no more stalling--runs good. I believe I had the same codes you have. I see that you changed the solenoids last year--did you use motorcraft?
I had that same problem last year and decided to change them out. I figured it might also quiet down the cam phasers but no luck. At the time, the vct solenoids did seem to help with the low rmp idle though.
I have 2 vans with the 2v 5.4's and they are so quiet and such a pleasure to drive. These 3v's are so annoying with the cam phaser issue. Im sick of people suggesting that i have a lower end knock in the motor. I tell them is the cam phasers and they just look at me dumb founded.
Yes I only use motorcraft when it comes to electrical sensors / solenoids.
Thank you

Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Not so difficult to replace the harness, but it's cramped in the back there. Would be easier if you removed the intake, but that's a bit much.. hehe.. You're gonna have to remove the throttlebody though, but that's fairly easy.

You could just order a pigtail for the MAF sensor though, the red clip on mine is broken as well, but the other clip is still there so I haven't bothered with it yet...

Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Not so difficult to replace the harness, but it's cramped in the back there. Would be easier if you removed the intake, but that's a bit much.. hehe.. You're gonna have to remove the throttlebody though, but that's fairly easy.

You could just order a pigtail for the MAF sensor though, the red clip on mine is broken as well, but the other clip is still there so I haven't bothered with it yet...
I think i'll go that route like you say but upon looking at the cost of a replacement harness, ill repair the old one once pulled out of the vehicle. This way, it will be easy to do the repair and properly wrap up the wire loom once again.
Watch out for those darn squirrels now!!

Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Dang, those buggers love to eat wiring! Isn't there some sort of deterrent or something you can put in the car or spray on the wiring or something which will make it less appealing for them to chew on?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:16 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Dang, those buggers love to eat wiring!
That's why I go and buy those 5lb. jumbo bags of peanuts and toss them in the yard every so often in the winter. The animals have trouble finding food so they go after the wiring. Every since I started tossing out the peanuts they haven't once touched any wiring. I probably spend about $30 a year on the peanuts but to me it's money well spent. My wiring stays intact and I score points with the animal kingdom.