1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Reasons to move cab tank?

Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons to move cab tank?

I am still looking at the options for a rear tank mod on my 65 F100. The main reason I want the cab tank out is to make room behind the seat for a little storage / stereo. And to hopefully create a tiny bit of extra gut space between the steering wheel and my ever expanding self. Even an inch would be a big improvement.

But before I took the cab apart, I could not really determine if removing the tank really allowed the seat to go back a tad further. Thought it would be nice to hear from some who did the tank removal and whether they could confirm a little more room behind the wheel.

Locating an affordable rear tank option is a challenge for me because Im in Alaska. Shipping anything of any size is ridiculous. The "resto" catalogues want more in shipping than the cost of the tank kit (such as the mustang tank). So I may have to let this mod go if there isnt much benefit to doing it. Oddly, I dont mind the tank in the cab as long as the connections/rubber is all tight and there are no fumes. For me it's more about getting some space.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Removing tank will definitely make some room for storage, but it won't do squat for legroom.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Ditto, the back of the seat hits the back of the cab before it gets to the tank.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
I've thought about moving the gas tank in my '65 for the same reason. I've come to the conclusion that at best maybe I'd gain about an inch without changing the angle of the seat or perhaps reducing the padding on the seat back. Just doesn't seem practical or worth the time. I do think it will be more beneficial to shorten the steering column. I figure about 3 inches should be about right and that's what I plan on doing.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by yankbs 66f100
Ditto, the back of the seat hits the back of the cab before it gets to the tank.
Mine always had a little gap between the top of the seatback and the back wall of the cab...about an inch. It seemed to be either hitting the tank or just stopping in the track. But I could never figure out what was stopping it. Assumed it was the tank.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by AZSCAWPION
I've thought about moving the gas tank in my '65 for the same reason. I've come to the conclusion that at best maybe I'd gain about an inch without changing the angle of the seat or perhaps reducing the padding on the seat back. Just doesn't seem practical or worth the time. I do think it will be more beneficial to shorten the steering column. I figure about 3 inches should be about right and that's what I plan on doing.
I'd take an inch if it wasnt too much $$ to gain it. I have the suicide handle on the steering wheel and that thing punches me in the gut if Im not careful. Plus, Im in Alaska and we wear some layers up here. Little trucks get crowded inside when everybody is dressed up like the Michelin Man.

I also have a killer stereo to go behind the seat. The subwoofer will literally give you a back massage!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 PM
AZSCAWPION
Laughing Gas
Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Grape Nehi
I'd take an inch if it wasnt too much $$ to gain it. I have the suicide handle on the steering wheel and that thing punches me in the gut if Im not careful. Plus, Im in Alaska and we wear some layers up here. Little trucks get crowded inside when everybody is dressed up like the Michelin Man.

I also have a killer stereo to go behind the seat. The subwoofer will literally give you a back massage!

Had a dentside back in my twenties. Four 12" woofers behind the seat. Truck was a p.o.s but you could feel it coming a block away. Was the best part of the truck.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Suggest open the 'search' menu, scroll down to the advance menu and enter topic, then narrow search to the 61-66 Forum.

Came across thread another member posted may find helpful.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14730031

Bookmarked article from Classic Truck, which in now owned by Hot Rod Magazine?
Installing a Mustang Gas Tank - Tech Articles - Hot Rod Network

Also bookmarked thread member posted where he installed filler neck in Flairside taillight.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
I went with a rear tank option for two reasons: No fuel smell, and with the mileage these things get, only a true farm truck can live on a 17 gal tank without running to the pump every couple of days.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Gasoline fumes mean there's a defect in the sender gasket or the filler tube hose. Move the tank if ya want, but it's not really worth the hassle. They don't stink when everything is setup right. Honest Injun!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunderkiss65
with the mileage these things get, only a true farm truck can live on a 17 gal tank without running to the pump every couple of days.
Even when I built my tank for the rear, I kept the cab tank just for that reason. The other day I ran just a tick over 300 miles and put just shy of 50 gallons in the tank.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:03 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I never had an issue with in cab tanks, if you get hit hard enough to cause an issue with the tank, you're dead anyway. As for the seat, mine will hit the cab before it hit the tank. Right now the track stops it from hitting either. And I'll add one more vote for more fuel storage.And if you need storage space, put a box in the bed.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by EricJ
I never had an issue with in cab tanks, if you get hit hard enough to cause an issue with the tank, you're dead anyway. As for the seat, mine will hit the cab before it hit the tank. Right now the track stops it from hitting either. And I'll add one more vote for more fuel storage.And if you need storage space, put a box in the bed.
I concur. If you get hit at all in these old tanks, you're hamburger even without a fuel fire in the cab. But I'd still like it to be way out back between the frame rails.

My main reason is space...behind the seat for a stereo and a few other items. And if I ended up getting an extra inch of gut room, that's an added perk.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 PM
hoss73ford
Elder User
I thought about the Mustang or another rear tank option in the past & on my '66 now. Right now there's no body on it so the issue will be coming up soon. For one I don't want to put the spare tire in the bed so that option is likely out. Another option is a side mount tank from a 1967 to 1972 that had the auxiliary tank. Camper Specials had those. They are solid steel and weigh a ton & you'd have to get hit by a train to collapse it. I don't know if there's enough room for one on the older trucks though.

In 1961 they increased the size of the seat tank from 17 gallons to 19 gallons, so you should get 200 miles out of it unless you have a 429/460 under the hood.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
do not overlook boat tanks, aluminum boat tanks come in all sizes and generally have senders and pipe fittings. And you can find them cheap, in the past companies like Overtons had pretty good deals

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reasons to move cab tank?