2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What Engine oil is factory filled in the 6.7? Dino 10w-30 or Synthetic 5w-40?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Engine oil is factory filled in the 6.7? Dino 10w-30 or Synthetic 5w-40?

Thoughts on what weight of motor oil Ford factory fills the trucks with?

How long are you planning to leave the factory oil in? Theses days there aren't the machining shavings in motors like there was years ago.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the FOF is motocraft 10w-30 non synthetic.

Ford says the Intelligent Oil Monitor will tell you when to change the oil, but it doesn't go as far as saying you cannot change it earlier than that. I dumped mine at 1,000 miles, because I wanted to and not because I had to, and went with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 synthetic. I use motorcraft filters. Oil will be changed at 5,000 mile intervals, not when the Intelligent Oil Monitor says so.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 PM
JT_Guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skanj0
I believe the FOF is motocraft 10w-30 non synthetic.

Ford says the Intelligent Oil Monitor will tell you when to change the oil, but it doesn't go as far as saying you cannot change it earlier than that. I dumped mine at 1,000 miles, because I wanted to and not because I had to, and went with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 synthetic. I use motorcraft filters. Oil will be changed at 5,000 mile intervals, not when the Intelligent Oil Monitor says so.
I'm with you... Some guys are saying that Ford puts break in additives in factory oil and that you shouldn't change it early. I'm a Mobile 1 regular and was going to change over at 1000 miles too. Now I don't know what to think. I was going to talk to the Ford Techs.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:06 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know what oil is in there, but I doubt it a necessary thing to change earlier than the 5000 miles. Like you said, doubt there is much reason to do so with modern manufacturing practices. I am not planning to change my oil early, and I am expecting to go with oil life based on the monitor for changing as mines a diesel. I think I will monitor and not go much longer than 8000 km, but that will also be a bit season dependent as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I could not find the thread here right now but there was one recently saying the initial oil is a break in oil and it is best to not change it out too early.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Usually Mfgr's don't use synthetic for break-in, this doesn't mean they don't in our situation here. My wife's BMW was synth for break-in, that was unique to me.

6.7L wise; I plan to leave my break-in oil for 5K miles, my dealer told me to keep it in there for this period and DON'T change it early. (he knows I'm **** about service).

I've already purchased a 12-lot of oil filters, I have a couple of buds w these 6.7s as well, and I now can share (for a couple of beers of course!).

Wallyworld gets my oil business, sorry to the WM haters here. They just have the best prices on the CJ-4 oils, and my WM still has this on the shelf.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
If Ford had of used break in oil it would have said so in the manual and advised you to add break in oil if it needed topped off before your first oil change

Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
If Ford had of used break in oil it would have said so in the manual and advised you to add break in oil if it needed topped off before your first oil change
Whether its break-in oil or additives (as some have mentioned here) I highly doubt they would put this in the manual, heck they can't even get the correct total amount that goes in for a change! (states 15 when 13 is the actual).

Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
harley1756
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
Whether its break-in oil or additives (as some have mentioned here) I highly doubt they would put this in the manual, heck they can't even get the correct total amount that goes in for a change! (states 15 when 13 is the actual).
XO-10W30-QSD

Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harley1756
XO-10W30-QSD
I know that is recommended, but is that definitely what is in there from factory?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:20 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't own one, but there's a really good way to check ...
Take a sample and send off for UOA. As long as the oil does not have too many miles on it, you'll see a (near) virgin sample. You'll know the vis from the UOA.

I've seen some UOAs from these 6.7L equipped vehicles with very low mileage, and it leads me to believe it's 10w-30.

Cannot tell you if it's conventional, semi, or full syn. But then again, it really does not matter, as long as you change oil with the IOLM. (despite Ford's well-earned reputation for their schizophrenic lube recommendations ....)

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 AM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going to change it several times between 1,000 miles and 10,000 miles with the regular 10w-30 dino oil (basically two fold....to keep "stiction" from starting/occurring and ensure a proper break-in), then switch to a high quality 5w-40 full synthetic and change every 5,000 miles after that to keep the engine like new, and the injectors stiction-free.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 PM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I realize I'm new here (but not to the web-world and forums), so I risk being flamed and shunned like a nerd in high school, but ...

BII Plow Truck -
That would be a huge waste of money. A GIANT, COLOSSAL waste of money. You're not going to get better protection from using the syn for normal OCI duration (defined as limited with IOLM), nor will it improve with high-frequency changes.

When you get a chance, read this about oil analysis and oil changes:
Surprising Findings from Oil Analysis of Automotive Engines

Then buy and read this (don't just read the link page, BUY the study and READ IT):
The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear

If you do those two things, you'll have a much better understanding of how lubricants and their use affect wear trending in concert with the OCI. Specifically, there is significant evidence to show that overly frequent OCI (oil change intervals) do absolutely nothing to enhance wear rates, and can, in fact, show a very slight detriment. While not "harmful", it is perfectly clear that frequent changes are not "helpful" in any manner.

If you don't read those, that's OK, but you'll continue to waste money on unnecessary oil changes. It's not "wrong" to do what you want, but it's not based in facts. It's certainly OK to do what feels comfortable, but what you "want" and what your truck "needs" are two totally different things.

P.S. - unless I am mistaken, in the 6.7L PSD, the oil is not used in the injection system, therefore "stiction" is not an issue to begin with. You'd cannot avoiding something that does not exist in the first place. Stiction in the 7.3 and 6.0 have been topics of conversation due to the HEUI systems, but that does not exist in the 6.4 or 6.7, so it's moot.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
harley1756
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There is no semi-synthetic version of Motorcraft 10W30.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:59 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have an idea of how the type of oil effects the oil monitoring system? Meaning that does synthetic not break down as quick leading to longer recommend changes and alerts by the monitoring system computer?

Quick Reply: What Engine oil is factory filled in the 6.7? Dino 10w-30 or Synthetic 5w-40?