2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tow trailer every day - diesel or gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 PM
ipefjk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow trailer every day - diesel or gas?

Hello folks. This is my first post here and I have a question for you (for what its worth this question has probably already been asked but I couldn't find it, but I looked!).

I own a small general contracting/renovation company and due to this I end up pulling a 14' enclosed trailer five days a week. It could be just a few miles, or it could be as many as 100 each way. Either way it gets towed at least five days out of seven.

With all my equipment in it and including the trailer I'm guessing it weighs in the neighborhood of about 6000 pounds. My business area is located in the north western suburbs of Boston MA. There are major highways nearby that get me to most of my customers, but there is plenty of in town driving too.

My current truck is a Toyota Tundra and while it'll tow the trailer, I can feel it working fairly hard to get the job done. I get the feeling that trucks in this class (the Tundra, F150, and similar) are designed to tow this trailer and more... just not every day. More like once a week, ie: light duty. This is why I'm looking at the new F-250 (that and its a nice looking truck!).

I'm looking at the F-250 Lariat. Its got a great mix of everything I want in a new truck and I love the idea of the 360 cameras, BLISS, and ultimate tow systems. The only thing that's holding me up is engine choice. I don't know enough to make an informed decision and with the diesel being a 9k option... thats a big nut to crack. I'm hoping you folks can help me make the right choice.

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd be happy pulling 6000# daily with my 6.2L, but I know others who wouldn't. I think the 6.2L w/ 4.30 rear is a pulling machine that will make easy work of that trailer. Heck, my 2010 5.4L pulled my gooseneck horse trailer that weighs 7k empty without too much of an issue..

In my opinion, with the poorer mileage that today's diesels get compared to older ones, they don't do THAT much better in mpg than the 6.2 w/ 4.30s.. and $9k takes a lot of miles an fuel to repay.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:26 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I'll keep it simple, I echo Xwild's post.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
6K, fairly short trips is gas worthy, and this coming from me!... see my sig

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xwild
I'd be happy pulling 6000# daily with my 6.2L, but I know others who wouldn't. I think the 6.2L w/ 4.30 rear is a pulling machine that will make easy work of that trailer. Heck, my 2010 5.4L pulled my gooseneck horse trailer that weighs 7k empty without too much of an issue..

In my opinion, with the poorer mileage that today's diesels get compared to older ones, they don't do THAT much better in mpg than the 6.2 w/ 4.30s.. and $9k takes a lot of miles an fuel to repay.
I agree, the 6.2L would be more than plenty, BUT all that torque of the 6.7 diesel will put a smile on your face past every fuel station and many years after the newness of a 6.2L wears out.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,600 Likes on 1,640 Posts
^^^^^^^^ All of the above, except I wouldn't even worry about the 4.30 gears for 6K!!! The 6.2 gasser will do fine for what you are asking.....from a 6.7 owner!!! Unless you really, deep down, want the oil burner!!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Not fully understanding why the Tundra isn't up to the task. Has it shown you signs of failing, or are you just wanting a bigger truck?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 PM
ipefjk
New User
Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate it. I'm seeing a trend here!

FWIW - I really want the diesel's torque but I keep reading lots of this forums posts about DEF issues, having to idle for long periods before and after a trip, less than expected mileage, etc.... So while that torque looks awesome, I'm not sure that for where I am and what I'm doing its awesome enough to justify the extra cost and a lesser equipped truck.

It's not that the Tundra is failing, its more like I am feeling radically accelerated wear and tear..... and after having it for three years I really want a new bigger truck!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
All you need based on the info you provided is the gas. You may not even need 4.30 gears but I still would just in case that trailer gets heavier one day for some reason. I also would like to ask if you currently or in the future ever see yourself using this truck for things more than that light trailer? Maybe a boat? Larger enclosed trailer? Gooseneck to carry supplies to your projects? If so I would consider the 6.7. If not, then for sure the 6.2 is plenty.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.2 gas is what I'd buy for that. Get the 4.30 gears though.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Compared to your Tundra, a 6.2L Super Duty is going to feel like a dog. The 6.2L will pull your trailer every day for a couple hundred thousand miles with relative ease, but so would your current truck. That being said, I think you'd regret picking the 6.2L engine...not a huge upgrade for the investment.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ipefjk
Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate it. I'm seeing a trend here!

FWIW - I really want the diesel's torque but I keep reading lots of this forums posts about DEF issues, having to idle for long periods before and after a trip, less than expected mileage, etc.... So while that torque looks awesome, I'm not sure that for where I am and what I'm doing its awesome enough to justify the extra cost and a lesser equipped truck.

It's not that the Tundra is failing, its more like I am feeling radically accelerated wear and tear..... and after having it for three years I really want a new bigger truck!
Oh oh oh... I detect a future Diesel owner says the crystal ball.

And by the way, mileage is still way better than the 6.2 gasser will be, by far. Will it be enough to pay the difference in engines? Most likely not, at least with your low miles. But.... if you have that slight Diesel desire? You'll kick yourself later if you don't get it. Put that in the books!

Mines still breaking in, averaging 17mpg. I've got images, not that this is anything great however. I think we have some misers here averaging 20 and up w the 6.7L

Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
Oh oh oh... I detect a future Diesel owner says the crystal ball.

And by the way, mileage is still way better than the 6.2 gasser will be, by far. Will it be enough to pay the difference in engines? Most likely not, at least with your low miles. But.... if you have that slight Diesel desire? You'll kick yourself later if you don't get it. Put that in the books!

Mines still breaking in, averaging 17mpg. I've got images, not that this is anything however. I think we have some misers here doing 20 and up w the 6.7L
I've read more complaints about poor mpg on the new 6.7 vs those that are thrilled. The OP is going to be towing daily, many short trips too. Fully expect 10 w/ the 6.2 and 12 w/ the 6.7 when you calc your full tank fill ups.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM
ipefjk
New User
My son rides horses at a local barn. One day I had to drive the riding instructors older Super Duty with a diesel. That torque was amazing, even in a much, much older truck.

I haven't driven the 17 with a diesel, just the gas. Sort of because my local dealer doesn't have a diesel, and sort of because I'm afraid if I do I'll be addicted!

What changes would I have to make to my driving habits if I got the diesel? Just wondering.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
F150 with 3.5 ecoboost. It'll run circles around your Toyota and get the job done.

Quick Reply: Tow trailer every day - diesel or gas?