1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:16 PM
orbit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice!!

Hello, i need some advice from the experts... Should i buy a 2005 F-350 Larite drw with a 6.0? It has 153k,2nd owner which has had vehicle for the last 10 years. they have all service and maintenance records. in 2006 the short block,HPOP injectors #2,4,6 and 8 ,FICM replaced. In 2007 CAC tube and EGR replaced. Then in 2013 all 4 injectors,cyclinders on Leftside along with engine removal and piston and rod replacement. Vehicle is in good condition int/ext price is $13,500.

Thank you in advance,

Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Well you can see the track record here, do you want to deal with the same type of stuff to keep a truck on the road? If so, get it. If you don't want to deal the myriad of issues that can/will arise on a 6.0, stay away. Most 6.0's have problems, some don't, this one clearly has. In 153k, the cost to keep it running has far exceeded its value.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My advice is to run away.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM
orbit
New User
Thank you for the response RainDesert and T diesel. My thought was with the newer parts their would be less chance of needing to worry about replacing them again for awhile. Looking at it that way makes sense though.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm staying out of these from now on.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
Out of warranty, out of my driveway with a diesel.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Firewood Bandit
Freshman User
IMHO, repairs on diesels is analogous to assuming a lot of risk.

Gas repairs = few hundred bucks
Diesel repairs= few thousand bucks

Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 PM
orbit
New User
Yes that is true Firewood Bandit. However i have a 15k fifth wheel that i need to tow and i'm not sure a Gasser could handle it..

Old 02-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Firewood Bandit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by orbit
Yes that is true Firewood Bandit. However i have a 15k fifth wheel that i need to tow and i'm not sure a Gasser could handle it..
Wow!
That is a heavy Load.

My observation is a lot of the folks buying diesels are not because they truly need the performance, they just want the diesel.

It is just sad what the EPA has done to diesels and as a consequence, reliability suffers.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:08 PM
orbit
New User
Originally Posted by Firewood Bandit
Wow!
That is a heavy Load.

My observation is a lot of the folks buying diesels are not because they truly need the performance, they just want the diesel.

It is just sad what the EPA has done to diesels and as a consequence, reliability suffers.
Yes iv'e noticed that also.. My unit is 13,737 lbs dry and 42.7 ft long, not sure a v-10 would like that much weight. lol

Yes it is quite sad!!

Old 02-25-2017, 11:59 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Little General
Agree 100%, this is just how it is anymore.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orbit

Have you gave any consideration to moving up to a 6.2 Gas Engine in a F250 or F350. A 6.2 gas engine will tow what your looking to do, depending on your budget you could always look for a used one and just have it checked over by a mechanic shop you trust or a Ford Dealer and have them look over the truck and do some compression test etc on the engine. Might cost you a couple hundred bucks to have a mechanic shop or a Ford Dealer check it, but worth the money

Will a diesel tow what your looking to do, yes it will. There are deal out the on 6.0 trucks but it can be hit and miss as with any vehicle you buy used. If your considering one of the diesel; you looked at, my advice would be to take it to a dealer and have them look it over and do a compression and injector test and let them look for any leaks or other issues.

You could find a 2011 or up 6.2 that is used. The difference between the diesel and gas engines are of course your repair and maintenance costs, one will be more expensive than the other of course

I would encourage you to expand your consideration to a Ford F250 OR F350 with the 6.2 gas engine in it. It would be a newer vehicle of course the 6.2 are from the 2011 year to present, where the 6.0's are from 2003 to 2007 )

Some of the guys who are still driving or have had the 6.0''s may chime in on the thread. I woulkd say to stay away from the 6.4's. The 6.4's are great trucks if they have been taken care of... if ...if, if they havent they can be had cheap but the repairs are cab off and the parts arent chep due to international still supplying a good chunk of the parts making them more expensive to the owner

I would think some of the 6.2 owners will chime in as well with their thoughts.

Just some food for thought,

Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Hello, i need some advice from the experts... Should i buy a 2005 F-350 Larite drw with a 6.0? It has 153k,2nd owner which has had vehicle for the last 10 years. they have all service and maintenance records. in 2006 the short block,HPOP injectors #2,4,6 and 8 ,FICM replaced. In 2007 CAC tube and EGR replaced. Then in 2013 all 4 injectors,cyclinders on Leftside along with engine removal and piston and rod replacement. Vehicle is in good condition int/ext price is $13,500.

Thank you in advance,
I don't know if I personally would go for this truck, and I am 6oh advocate.

Honestly, it sounds like the previous owner(s) may not have addressed the ROOT problem(s) as to why they were having the issues that were arising to make them replace so many parts. Or they just did poor maintenance on the 6oh.

Originally Posted by RainDesert
Well you can see the track record here, do you want to deal with the same type of stuff to keep a truck on the road? If so, get it. If you don't want to deal the myriad of issues that can/will arise on a 6.0, stay away. Most 6.0's have problems, some don't, this one clearly has. In 153k, the cost to keep it running has far exceeded its value.
Most 6oh's that do have problems are typically from those who do not know how they operate, or what to look for during ownership to prevent problems turning into large or expensive jobs.

Typically a 6oh owner who has the gauges, knows what to look for and to be pro-active in servicing the truck. I see too many out there that don't have any live data scanners .

Before the 6oh's you could almost always get in the 7.3L's and drive without much user involvement or paying attention to specific gauges because the emissions requirements weren't as strict. Then they became stricter an started with the 6oh. Now you have a game changer, that requires you to pay more attention to your diesels health.

Originally Posted by Little General
I do agree with this, but mostly from 2008 on up. 2007 on down you can still easily turn wrenches.

Yes iv'e noticed that also.. My unit is 13,737 lbs dry and 42.7 ft long, not sure a v-10 would like that much weight. lol

Yes it is quite sad!!
I think a 2005 or newer V-10 (3 valve w/ 362 HP and 457 ft/lb torque) would pull that fine.

2000-2004 (2 valve w/ 310 HP and 425 ft/lb torque) maybe not so much or not as easily.

Originally Posted by Firewood Bandit
So true, and it is so sad. This is where we have to rely on extra gauges to tell us whats going on.

Originally Posted by Pocketlint
Orbit

Have you gave any consideration to moving up to a 6.2 Gas Engine in a F250 or F350. A 6.2 gas engine will tow what your looking to do, depending on your budget you could always look for a used one and just have it checked over by a mechanic shop you trust or a Ford Dealer and have them look over the truck and do some compression test etc on the engine. Might cost you a couple hundred bucks to have a mechanic shop or a Ford Dealer check it, but worth the money

Will a diesel tow what your looking to do, yes it will. There are deal out the on 6.0 trucks but it can be hit and miss as with any vehicle you buy used. If your considering one of the diesel; you looked at, my advice would be to take it to a dealer and have them look it over and do a compression and injector test and let them look for any leaks or other issues.

You could find a 2011 or up 6.2 that is used. The difference between the diesel and gas engines are of course your repair and maintenance costs, one will be more expensive than the other of course

I would encourage you to expand your consideration to a Ford F250 OR F350 with the 6.2 gas engine in it. It would be a newer vehicle of course the 6.2 are from the 2011 year to present, where the 6.0's are from 2003 to 2007 )

Some of the guys who are still driving or have had the 6.0''s may chime in on the thread. I woulkd say to stay away from the 6.4's. The 6.4's are great trucks if they have been taken care of... if ...if, if they havent they can be had cheap but the repairs are cab off and the parts arent chep due to international still supplying a good chunk of the parts making them more expensive to the owner
Great advice on the 6.4l, but most repairs can be done with the cab on. Cab off repairs just make it easier to be done.

If I were looking at a newer truck, I would be looking at the F-250/F-350 with a 6.2 gasser. Heck ya!!!

Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM
F350FordToy
Senior User
I had a 2006 6.0 F350 SRW, never had it back to the dealer except for a rim issue. I was strict about the maintenance (3K oil changes, rotella 15W40), added a coolant filter and switched to Cat ELC-1 antifreeze after drive home from dealer. Did not add a fuel tuner but added cat back exhaust and free flowing air filter. Pulled way over weight most of the time, pulling my equipment on a 24K gooseneck. Check the serial number and the internet, they changed some things in late 2005 to fix many of the problems the earlier 6.0s suffered with the HPOP and FICM. My mechanic did not recommend doing it but I almost did the bulletproof fix to it to keep it as it was a great truck but did not need 3 F350 trucks as I was getting out of my excavation business. Bottom line, I would have no problems owning a 2006 or later 6.0.

For full disclosure, I traded my wifes 2004 F350 6.0 that was tuned for more HP that blew a head gasket at 87K and had EGR problems for a 2015 6.2 F350 SRW, just did not want to chase the repairs. I really like the 6.2 for pulling my 5th wheel and may get a 6.2 DRW F350 in the near future if my 7.3 DRW F350 ever dies (it is a 1997 with 397k on it, just do not have the heart to give up on the old gal as long as she is not giving me any problems).

Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally knowing how the 6.'dohs are I would be running away really fast, if you have any thought about it and like it, before pulling the trigger ask your self "why we're all these parts replaced, and are they reman or new OEM?" Why? Because you could have a good truck or you could be getting a dud that will be in the shop more then on the road…

i bought my 7.3 with 437k on it and other then staying on top of fluid changes only had to deal with 2 major items, the ICP (I think, I forget which is what) or the IPR and the torque converter that sounded like a washing machine full of marbles the rest of what I have done was more PM for me to have that peace of mind that I will be able to tow my Mustang when needed and any thing else I'm asked to move

Quick Reply: Need some advice!!