No Power To Key

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 PM
otnot
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power To Key

Thanks in advance!
I had my truck running this morning(74 ford f250 manual transmission) and when I turned it off I had no power inside the cab. No lights,heater fan nothing. I thought it was a starter solenoid so I replaced it. Still no power. I checked for power at the coil but nadda. I had this happen a long time ago and if I remember right it was the ignition switch gone bad. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Chase down

Did you start with the stupid obvious stuff, that's usually what gets me, like the battery cables and ground to block ? Your other grounds frame, body etc...... Something big is not connected if all of that is suddenly not working.... had my negative batt cable pop off this week and everything got dark quickly

Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 PM
otnot
Freshman User
Yea I did all the obvious things like that. I tried to jump the solenoid from the battery to the starter side of the solenoid and all that happens is the solenoid clicks. So the solenoid is working.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, it is time to start measuring. Start with the battery, then work your way out to the wiring block for the ignition switch. When you have the wiring block off of the ignition switch, you can also ohm check the mechanical portion of the switch. This will tell you if the switch is bad.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by otnot
Yea I did all the obvious things like that. I tried to jump the solenoid from the battery to the starter side of the solenoid and all that happens is the solenoid clicks. So the solenoid is working.

So, I was thinking about this. Did you jump the solenoid by using a jumper from the battery post to the 'S' terminal of the solenoid? If so, your starter should have turned. If the solenoid only clicked, then you may have a bad or close to dead battery, which may have been caused by a bad alternator. I would try jumping your truck with another car to see if it will at least turn the starter over. If it tries, ignition is not the issue. If you get the truck running, check voltage, anything under 13 volts, while running is either your voltage regulator or alternator. How old is your battery? Is it close to its lifespan? If so, it may be not accepting a charge.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM
otnot
Freshman User
The battery shows 13 volt and the battery is new. I jumped the solenoid from the battery to the s on the solenoid, but nothing! I will test the switch tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:18 PM
otnot
Freshman User
Well I jumped the truck and still no power. I changed the ignition switch and still no power. I jumped the S terminal to a good battery and solenoid clicks once and the starter does not turn over. I connected jumper cables from another car to the starter and nothing. I connected jumper cables from ground to the engine. I have power to the solenoid. Is there a fuseable link in the circuit?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Justin73supercamper
Senior User
There is a fuseable link around the solenoid wiring. It has a square rectangular shape plastic piece on it I can post a pic if you want

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM
otnot
Freshman User
I know what and where it is. Thanks

Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM
otnot
Freshman User
It wasn't the fuseable link. What I don't understand is why I don't have power into the cab. There is no power to the fuse block even.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is also a 74. There is another color wire that takes power into the cab. I won't be able to tell you the color until the morning. I discovered it while upgrading to a 3G alternator. Its there right next to your battery and solenoid. If I remember correctly its tied in with the wiring that also goes to the regulator. You should be able to trace it from there. I'll see if I can't find my hand written notes in the mean time.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:04 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
Ok on mine its a blue with yellow stripe wire that is plugged into a black with yellow stripe wire. It has to have power all the time to the cab. Mine is a 74 F250 camper special with a 460 and C6 transmission

Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 PM
otnot
Freshman User
Thanks Red for the try. The only blue/yellow is to the horn relay and the only black/yellow comes from the alternator. It just seems strange that it all of a sudden quit working. It started fine and I warmed it up and turned it off and nothing!!!

Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 PM
redcreekauto
Senior User
Do you have power to the black/yellow right? I remember now that when I removed the old alternator/regulator setup I had to run power to that black/yellow wire. I currently have it tied to the solenoid with the positive running to my battery. Check to see if it is hot. You may have a alternator/regulator issue here.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 PM
otnot
Freshman User
I will check it in the morning for power as it's getting a little cold up here in Alaska tonight.

Quick Reply: No Power To Key