1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My '81 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Kev-F125
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '81 F-100

Back the end of May, as the gf and I were coming back from a job we worked in Tofino, the transmission in our van went *poof*. So we asked our mechanic to find us another $500 set of wheels fast. He found us the truck I'm posting about.

No idea about the mileage as the odo rolls at 100k. Aside from the signs and rack and raincap, this is how I got it. Since May, I've put a new fuel tank, pump, master cylinder, headgasket, oil catch can, tires twice, and a few other things into it. The more I do to it, the more goes wrong. This is my first domestic truck so is this common for them? Still needs lifters, thermostat, starter, relay, guages, dash lights, brakes, front and rear springs and mounts/towers, rear end, brakes, and a bit of rewiring. I think it was a farm truck in Aldergrove before it came to the island and me. I guess basically, I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or dump it, keep the deck, and get another truck that'll fit under the deck.

I hope not. Truck has some character and I actually like it. Always wanted a flatdeck.

Last edited by Kev-F125; 02-23-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's an odd love affair with these trucks. Gary Lewis will say it's like peeling an onion. Myself, on my '81 F100, I use the can of worms analogy.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It isn't uncommon for there to be multiple problems. I liken these trucks to onions, where we peel and cry. But, ultimately we get to a point where we can accept the issues that are left.

However, if your truck really needs all of those problems then I'd question keeping it. Having said that, how do you know it needs springs, mounts, brakes, etc? Have you spotted problems or are you trying to make it new?

Edit: Late to the game.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
I call it snowballing.
As it gets rolling it gets more and more things needing fixed.

It was a $500 dollar truck what do you think you will get for that?

My 81 was $800 and needed a lot of work but again it was a $800 dollar truck.
I also bought a $400 parts truck less motor & doors but still needed to spend $$$ to fix it the way I want it.
Dave - - - -

Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And in the end, you'll be lucky to get half of what you have in it when you decide to sell. So, make sure you like the truck before you peel the onion or push the snowball.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
So, make sure you like the truck before you peel the onion or push the snowball.
Or kick the can down the road..

Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
Since May, I've put a new fuel tank, pump, master cylinder, headgasket, oil catch can, tires twice, and a few other things into it. The more I do to it, the more goes wrong. This is my first domestic truck so is this common for them? Still needs lifters, thermostat, starter, relay, guages, dash lights, brakes, front and rear springs and mounts/towers, rear end, brakes, and a bit of rewiring.
I see a bunch of normal small things that are just small projects. But I think you are going about the engine the wrong way.

As you went in to replace the headgasket, you should have seen the condition of the engine. And now you have driven it some, you know even more. I am getting hints the engine is wore out. Why do you need lifters? Why do you need a catch can? If it has that much blowby that you need a catch can, I would not put new lifters in it.

If you need to put a thermostat in it for now, that is a small cheap project just to get you through. If the engine was really dirty inside, the lifters are ticking, there is a lot of blowby, low oil pressure, etc. I would find another engine or rebuild the one you have(whatever it is, you didn't say). When you had the head off (If you did it) the cylinder bores should have been given a quick look. If there was a pronounced ridge at the top, patch this engine up and get another ready to go if you need the truck really bad.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Kev-F125
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I see a bunch of normal small things that are just small projects. But I think you are going about the engine the wrong way.

As you went in to replace the headgasket, you should have seen the condition of the engine. And now you have driven it some, you know even more. I am getting hints the engine is wore out. Why do you need lifters? Why do you need a catch can? If it has that much blowby that you need a catch can, I would not put new lifters in it.

If you need to put a thermostat in it for now, that is a small cheap project just to get you through. If the engine was really dirty inside, the lifters are ticking, there is a lot of blowby, low oil pressure, etc. I would find another engine or rebuild the one you have(whatever it is, you didn't say). When you had the head off (If you did it) the cylinder bores should have been given a quick look. If there was a pronounced ridge at the top, patch this engine up and get another ready to go if you need the truck really bad.
The catch can wasn't because it was needed, I just wanted to keep what blowby there is out of the intake. Keep it from gumming up any more.

As for the lifters making noise, they much shut up after the new headgasket was put in. Still noisy occasionally, but nowhere near as often or as loud as before.

When the head was off, the cylinders looked and felt good. Probably another 100k left in them. Oil pressure is fine for a 300. (I thought I did say it had the 300 I6 in it). I've looked into a reman'd engine. I can get one for $2500 plus my old core. I was hoping to be able to take it off the road for a couple years so I could make it a project. The frame rails are really good and pretty much rust free. But money we were expecting fell thru so I still need it to run now.

My plan was this: make it an F-125. The 100 chassis and body with 150 suspension to handle the extra weight with the deck and all. New rear LSD axle, a 3.00 or 3.25, dual tanks, new Summit Racing front end, original king pins are FRIED, 4wl disc. Now this is where it got henky. Was going to either turbo the reman'd 300, after putting 360 pistons in it to lower compression, and a TBI set up. Also some kind of transmission that's got more gears than the C6. Getting to highway speed takes a while with 3 gears and a 2.75 rear end. Or was going to go off the chain and drop a turbo 2JZ and, probably, a Lexus 6spd auto into it. (gf doesn't like standard) I was aiming for a decent runner that, when needed, would open eyes as whoever watched my tail lights get closer together ahead of them. No more than 14lb boost. I'm not gunning for John Force or anything. Just want to make ppl shocked when an old beat up looking truck smokes them.

But that's not likely to happen now. A friend told me there's a tonne of old 100's here I could get as a parts truck. That may be my option until I can take it and make it my "midlife crisis" toy. (I'm getting rather close to 50 now)

Last edited by Kev-F125; 02-25-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Kev-F125
New User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
It isn't uncommon for there to be multiple problems. I liken these trucks to onions, where we peel and cry. But, ultimately we get to a point where we can accept the issues that are left.

However, if your truck really needs all of those problems then I'd question keeping it. Having said that, how do you know it needs springs, mounts, brakes, etc? Have you spotted problems or are you trying to make it new?

Edit: Late to the game.
Bit of both. Passenger side rear spring rear hanger, well, the bolt from the shackle to the mount is about the only thing holding the spring in being wedged into the mount. It was broken and welded before I got it and broke even more. I can get a whole new rear spring setup, everything needed but tools and labour, for $800 from a place in Nanaimo. That's taking into account putting 150 leafs into it. Already did the upper shock mounts, gf broke one on a bump at her sons place. I want to replace the fronts just have new, really.

Most of the parts I want to replace are cheap. I'm used to imports. My Nissan was going to cost $600 just for front torsion bars alone while I can get the whole stock front end from the frame to the spindles from Lordco for that. The steering is all new. Drag link, tie rod and ends. Even the Pittman is new. There's enough new stuff on it that I'm on the fence. New stuff on it before I got it.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Kev-F125
New User
UPDATE

New relay and starter put into it today finally. Starter cost me 107 and the relay a whopping 54. But it's beefier than the original. Also had to get a new positive cable cos the other one a: had too big of a lug to fit the new relay and b: snapped off on the lug cos after it was ground down to fit, an old break surfaced.

Either way. I have my wheels back under me!! Just as soon as the gf gets back with new insurance decals.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Kev-F125
New relay and starter put into it today finally. Starter cost me 107 and the relay a whopping 54. But it's beefier than the original. Also had to get a new positive cable cos the other one a: had too big of a lug to fit the new relay and b: snapped off on the lug cos after it was ground down to fit, an old break surfaced.

Either way. I have my wheels back under me!! Just as soon as the gf gets back with new insurance decals.
Congrat's!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Good to hear you got it rolling again.
Dave ----