6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SS fuel lines, ending the dead head flow

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS fuel lines, ending the dead head flow

So my upcoming air oil cooler build requires converting to an E series oil cooler cover. The E series fuel lines are routed differently so my existing F series lines will not work so I must fab up some SS lines because obtaining some used E series lines would be more expensive than just making new ss lines. I'd like to bounce this idea off everyone to see what they think. Here's the rough sketch of the idea...

The idea is to end the dead head design to try to equalize fuel pressure throughout all the injectors while keeping the factory E series fuel bowl & regulator so the rear most injectors aren't the end of the line getting less pressure than the forward most injectors. The line going to the rear of the head would be longer but I think if I made both feed lines from the bowl equal length then in theory the pressure to the front & back should be equal.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Length won't matter. What about the return? The reason the last cylinders in the line suffer, flow. That picture shows a dead head, trapped air needs to go somewhere.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Length won't matter. What about the return? The reason the last cylinders in the line suffer, flow. That picture shows a dead head, trapped air needs to go somewhere.
The inlet/return are not changed. Basically the passenger side feed would feed the front of the heads & the drivers side feed would feed the back of the heads. I thought air was bled out through the factory regulator.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:52 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
So with that said... which direction would fuel flow? And if air were trapped in the center of the head... where would that go?

Currently, it would flow through an injector because there is no return from the heads. I see what your trying to do and it most likely would work. You want to eliminate restrictions, turbulence and back pressure.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
In the oem setup, if air gets into either head past the regulator air bleed, it also must go through an injector. After a filter change is the only time air should be in the system, which the air bleed in the regulator is supposed to purge. The oem design also has no return from the heads, its returned from the regulator back to the pump.

If I were to put check valves inline the feed lines it would essentially be the same as the oem design, just a different flow.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:17 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
You would be better off to eliminate the stock regulator. Off the lines on the back of the heads you would have a pressure regulator. From the regulator it would then go to the return line back to the tank.

This kit accomplishes just that.
XDP 6.0L Regulated Return Fuel System XD206

Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
You would be better off to eliminate the stock regulator. Off the lines on the back of the heads you would have a pressure regulator. From the regulator it would then go to the return line back to the tank.

This kit accomplishes just that.
XDP 6.0L Regulated Return Fuel System XD206

Thanks for the link. If I were going to be upgrading to bigger injectors I'd go with a rr setup, but since I'm staying stock I feel like the factory setup is sufficient enough. Was just trying to improve the flow since I must run new lines to the heads from the E series fuel bowl anyways. Figured since I'm already making ss braided lines up might as well try to end the dead head design. I have seen this kind of jumper that simply connects the back of the heads fuel rails.
03-07 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Fuel Crossover Line Kit
Essentially the same concept & probably easier. Just wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys to see if the front & back feed design would be better.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Justus6.0L
Senior User
Length won't matter.

That is not what she said! LOL

Old 02-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justus6.0L

In doing some reading about the crossover or RR system, it seems there is not much of a benefit unless you are bumping up the turbo or injectors. Read a thread where Cheezit (former Ford tech) brought up a few points on the crossover idea. Said for one thing, if you begin to have failure with compression leaking by then you will have more difficulty in diagnostics and the compression into the fuel will affect the opposing side now. He also said that the "#8 and #7 injectors fail the most" theory was a myth in his opinion because he worked on these things for a living and did not think they failed any sooner or differently than the rest.

Anyway, just passing that along since I read it.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
It's flow that really kills the injectors. The two in the back only get what's left, what the rr fixes. So bump pressure or increase flow.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yama4fitty

In doing some reading about the crossover or RR system, it seems there is not much of a benefit unless you are bumping up the turbo or injectors. Read a thread where Cheezit (former Ford tech) brought up a few points on the crossover idea. Said for one thing, if you begin to have failure with compression leaking by then you will have more difficulty in diagnostics and the compression into the fuel will affect the opposing side now. He also said that the "#8 and #7 injectors fail the most" theory was a myth in his opinion because he worked on these things for a living and did not think they failed any sooner or differently than the rest.

Anyway, just passing that along since I read it.
Makes sense about compression leaking affecting both sides once they're looped together. If that happens though you would think that everyone thats installed 6.4 check valve-less banjos would have the same diagnosis troubles since there's no more separation from one side to the other. I'm going to do some fuel pressure testing before I tear into it. Going to see if I can run a pressure gauge off the back of the head & at the fuel bowl simultaneously and open her up to compare the pressure drop at the back. Test both sides this way to validate that the rear injectors aren't starving. Hopefully there's enough room in the back to even try it, I'll have to take a look when I get home. Guessing it's tighter than a xxxxx's xxxxxx back there with the y pipe.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Justus6.0L
It's how you use it that matters!

There's no room behind the heads, you really need to use a 90° to make it work.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
It's how you use it that matters!

There's no room behind the heads, you really need to use a 90° to make it work.
You got that right! Just got in from crawling around on the creeper with a drop light. It's a tight fit back there and pulling those hex plugs to tap in looks like a can of worms I don't want to open. Would probably have to heat it up first to avoid stripping it out. Scratch that test! LoL

The fuel crossover method might work a bit easier vs going with a Y feed off the bowl. I could install a high quality stainless steel shutoff valve inline on the crossover. That would allow bubble testing and the ability to clip the loop and separate each head. I'll have to ponder this idea a little more.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Make it a figure 8 feeder

Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Make it a figure 8 feeder
LoL guaranteed 100hp gain there!