2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Darwin Award Nominee

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:02 PM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin Award Nominee

I did something really stupid today by allowing that damn cell phone to draw my attention away from what I was in the process of doing...........

I stopped for some bulk DEF at a station and had the nozzle in my hand when my cell phone rang and I answered it. While on phone, I took the cap off of the fuel tank and starting pumping DEF into the diesel tank immediately realizing I screwed up big time letting go of the nozzle stopping the flow of death into my fuel system. I pumped approximately a little of 1/10 of a gallon into the fuel tank. In a panic attack, I place the nozzle back into the pump and started the truck up move a hundred feet away out of the way. I immediately stopped the engine and called my service advisor who gave me a number to a wrecker company and told me to call my insurance and start a claim.

I'm hoping 1/10 of a gallon of DEF fluid into approximately 32 gallons of diesel did not make it through the filters and into the high pressure pump and injectors.

Worst case scenario 2 weeks without my truck and $12,000 repair bill.

Sitting here patiently waiting with a 1/2 gallon of scotch.

Please learn from my screw up.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
You are not alone.....

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikeDawg
I did something really stupid today by allowing that damn cell phone to draw my attention away from what I was in the process of doing........... I stopped for some bulk DEF at a station and had the nozzle in my hand when my cell phone rang and I answered it. While on phone, I took the cap off of the fuel tank and starting pumping DEF into the diesel tank immediately realizing I screwed up big time letting go of the nozzle stopping the flow of death into my fuel system. I pumped approximately a little of 1/10 of a gallon into the fuel tank. In a panic attack, I place the nozzle back into the pump and started the truck up move a hundred feet away out of the way. I immediately stopped the engine and called my service advisor who gave me a number to a wrecker company and told me to call my insurance and start a claim. I'm hoping 1/10 of a gallon of DEF fluid into approximately 32 gallons of diesel did not make it through the filters and into the high pressure pump and injectors. Worst case scenario 2 weeks without my truck and $12,000 repair bill. Sitting here patiently waiting with a 1/2 gallon of scotch. Please learn from my screw up.
Over under? I'll take the over...my prediction is you're going to be just fine. They'll drain, rinse and repeat. Good reminder though, glad your handle found a buddy. LOL

Hang in there!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad you started it. Possibly could have just had the tank cleaned. Bummer. You are NOT the Lone Ranger though. It is one thing GM has that is not a bad idea. The DEF fill completely away from the fuel tank fill.

Sam

Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way it got in the fuel system. They can drain the tank, replace the filters, and you're good to go.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 PM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put 15 gallons of gas in my 6.7 a few years ago. Started rattling and I realized what I did. Oh crap. Drained the fuel, filled it up with diesel, put a quart of ATF in it and away I went. 20k more miles without any issues whatsoever. Hopefully this is how it works for you.

Sam

Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm now thinking I'll just vow to never get DEF at the pump, to help prevent any accidental lapses of concentration.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Oh no TrikeDawg that sucks! Hope the fix is at a minimal cost for you. Nothing like getting the oh crap feeling with your almost new truck. I'll chalk this story up in my memory banks as do not do that ever. Good luck my friend.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM
daVincidoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by oklarado
No way it got in the fuel system. They can drain the tank, replace the filters, and you're good to go.

Totally agree, 1/10 gal in 32 gal fuel is 1/3200 dilution so almost undetectable amount. Also no way with truck being moved 100 feet did it get all the way through fuel line to engine. Should be no problem.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:25 PM
SobayPowerstroke
Freshman User
Almost had the same scare except it wasn't me... I was on my way back to California from Colorado and stopped for Fuel somewhere in Utah and at this station they had attendants that went to pump the fuel for you. I had went in and bought 2.5 gallons of DEF and while I was about to pour it in my phone rang. I put down the jug to talk and the attendant picked it up and was putting the funnel into the fuel opening. I happened to see it right before he started pouring and just about tackled him lol. Crisis averted but I can definitely see how the mistake would be made. Needless to say he apologized I felt bad and gave him a healthy tip for nearly knocking him to the ground. Good times.... lol

Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daVincidoc
Totally agree, 1/10 gal in 32 gal fuel is 1/3200 dilution so almost undetectable amount. Also no way with truck being moved 100 feet did it get all the way through fuel line to engine. Should be no problem.
1/320, 10 times the dilution you list.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Originally Posted by daVincidoc
Dilution rate has nothing to do with it. Def is a water based product and will not mix with the fuel. After more than about the first 3-4 ounces fills the water separator, the rest will pass through to the high pressure fuel pump causing it to lock up. Then the cam breaks and the pistons hit the valves. Thirteen ounces is a fatal dose if the truck runs long enough to suck it up from the bottom of the tank, which is where it will be sitting due to its density. Fortunately if the Water in Fuel (WIF) light hasn't come on, it hasn't got there yet. Drain/dry the tank and re-install it. For the next couple weeks drain the water separator every few days, or IMMEDIATELY if the light comes on. Don't attempt to drive it home first. Pull to the side of the road and open the yellow drain valve and let about 6 oz. out.

To the O.P.- You ducked the bullet on this one, but if it ever happens again, DO NOT START THE ENGINE. I don't care how many people are honking at you. A new 6.7 plus labor puts a big dent in 20 grand.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Stay off the F-------- phone!!! by the way, I hope you'll be ok and I bet you never do that again.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Originally Posted by SESWIM
It is one thing GM has that is not a bad idea. The DEF fill completely away from the fuel tank fill.
My dad has a ~2014 Duramax. He's had the fuel system drained/fixed twice. In his defense, he has MS and I'm not sure he's thinking about all the necessary details all the time.

TrikeDawg, thanks for the reminder. I have yet to fill my 2017 F-350 with fuel. I'm going to be a nervous wreck when that time comes.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 PM
daVincidoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
Dilution rate has nothing to do with it. Def is a water based product and will not mix with the fuel. After more than about the first 3-4 ounces fills the water separator, the rest will pass through to the high pressure fuel pump causing it to lock up. Then the cam breaks and the pistons hit the valves. Thirteen ounces is a fatal dose if the truck runs long enough to suck it up from the bottom of the tank, which is where it will be sitting due to its density. Fortunately if the Water in Fuel (WIF) light hasn't come on, it hasn't got there yet. Drain/dry the tank and re-install it. For the next couple weeks drain the water separator every few days, or IMMEDIATELY if the light comes on. Don't attempt to drive it home first. Pull to the side of the road and open the yellow drain valve and let about 6 oz. out.

To the O.P.- You ducked the bullet on this one, but if it ever happens again, DO NOT START THE ENGINE. I don't care how many people are honking at you. A new 6.7 plus labor puts a big dent in 20 grand.
Definitely correct on the dilution question except to say that when he moved the truck likely shaking the fuel mixture around the 1/10 gal of DEF will not stay together but rather form droplets or "blobs" distributed around in the fuel and like you said only if it sat still for a period of time would it all settle to the bottom and be sucked in quickly. On the other hand I am no mechanic nor engine wizard so what the heck would I know.

Quick Reply: Darwin Award Nominee