2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

SWINDLED?

Old 02-21-2017, 03:27 AM
Troublemaker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWINDLED?

I own a concrete construction company where we use our trucks for work. I recently ordered a '17 350SRW, SC 4x4 in lieu of the '16 I had set out to buy based on the newer trucks heavier frame and running gear which Ford is heavily promoting. Since ordering, I have been researching further and have been disappointed in my findings. Front end is the same old super 60 and the m275 rear end has smaller diameter axles than it's predecessor. Can't find any data on how the drive lines were "improved". Boxed frame may be more torsionally stable, but that style of frame has historically been prone to corrosion issues. Has that really been adequately addressed? Big deal to those of us that keep our trucks for long durations. If I find one false claim, I question all the claims and have a hard time giving my cash to an entity that is knowingly misleading me. Always been a ford guy and currently own (3) up fitted 450's. This is one of those times I would really like someone to show me that I am wrong. Disappointing and problematic to cancel order. Can anybody that really knows the idiosyncrasies of these trucks help me out or set me straight?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear axle is stronger than the old one, higher ratings. Swindled is a strong word that doesn't accurately describe the situation. The new truck is better in every way.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Florit17
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Troublemaker
I own a concrete construction company where we use our trucks for work. I recently ordered a '17 350SRW, SC 4x4 in lieu of the '16 I had set out to buy based on the newer trucks heavier frame and running gear which Ford is heavily promoting. Since ordering, I have been researching further and have been disappointed in my findings. Front end is the same old super 60 and the m275 rear end has smaller diameter axles than it's predecessor. Can't find any data on how the drive lines were "improved". Boxed frame may be more torsionally stable, but that style of frame has historically been prone to corrosion issues. Has that really been adequately addressed? Big deal to those of us that keep our trucks for long durations. If I find one false claim, I question all the claims and have a hard time giving my cash to an entity that is knowingly misleading me. Always been a ford guy and currently own (3) up fitted 450's. This is one of those times I would really like someone to show me that I am wrong. Disappointing and problematic to cancel order. Can anybody that really knows the idiosyncrasies of these trucks help me out or set me straight?
Just signed up & immediately post 4 carbon copies of this throughout the forum. I'd say you nailed your name choice, Troublemaker.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Thumper911
Senior User
Hey troublemaker,

We all have doubts and buyers remorse (even if we just ordered and haven't received the truck) and I'm more than guilty of double checking stats to build my confidence. "Swindled" is such a strong term, though. If you need a confidence boost, here are a few of my findings: Stronger frame, better hitch, Dana M275 has better stats compared to predecessor Sterling axle, better looks, larger & more comfortable cabin, improved diesel ratings, enhanced exhaust brake, and the list goes on. Don't get me wrong, this is my first Super Duty in a long line of HD trucks and I'm definitely not guilty of drinking anybody's kool-aid or being some kind of Ford fanboy, but as far as I'm concerned, the stats blew away the competition and stole a GM faithful (me) willing to pay $10 grand more for a much more capable truck (IMHO). If you have this much doubt, save the cash and get Duramax twin or Ram. They are all capable trucks. Either way you go, you'll still be able to get your concrete poured.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
The guys actually pouring the mud usually show up in a beat down sedan with chrome spinner hub caps and a picture of virgin mary in the back window anyways. The truck s just for the boss....... I know because I live it every day.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Thumper911
Senior User
Originally Posted by oklarado
The guys actually pouring the mud usually show up in a beat down sedan with chrome spinner hub caps and a picture of virgin mary in the back window anyways. The truck s just for the boss....... I know because I live it every day.
so, do the bosses even need a truck with "largest diameter axles"??

Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
No but we have little man syndrome, all 6'2" of me does!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 AM
17450KR
Senior User
Troublemaker,

Boxed frame historically prone to corrosion??? Huh? My '04 F150 has a boxed frame and has lived on the coast of Florida and in Alaska. Zero corrosion to be concerned with. Never heard of this issue.

Sounds like you have already convinced yourself that you're not going to be happy. Not much we can do here to help you with that.

Why is canceling your order "problematic"? That's easy..."Please cancel my order...thank you." Done.

This is the problem: "Since ordering, I have been researching further and have been disappointed in my findings." You did this backwards. Don't blame Ford for your lack of research. I know of nothing they have advertised that is flat-out false. Just because something is advertised as 'stronger' that does not mean it has to be 'bigger.'

Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
The import brands have a problem with frames but not the big 3.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Any they are c-channel from the cab back also.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The guys actually pouring the mud usually show up in a beat down sedan with chrome spinner hub caps and a picture of virgin mary in the back window anyways.
Sorry. Off topic. But this made me think of the song Plastic Jesus sung by Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.

You can buy a Sweet Madonna
Dressed in rhinestones sitting on a
Pedestal of abalone shell
Goin' ninety, I'm not wary
'Cause I've got my Virgin Mary
Guaranteeing I won't go to Hell

Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Only the cab and chassis is c channel on the back the pickup's are boxed front to back
I just repaired a bad boxed frame on my son's 1998 jeep tj but i think that was just bad steel
my 71,75 ford bronco's both have boxed frames and they looked like new during the rebuilt of those trucks!!

Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,619 Likes on 2,728 Posts
My "import" Nissan Titan (Built in USA) has a boxed frame front to back. No issues for me or that I've observed on the Titan forums. The Frontier has an issue though that may be limited to a range of model years.

I'm quite happy with my 2017 F-350 and I'm itching to hook up my RV trailer and see how it does.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To directly answer the frame question, yes Ford does an e-coating process that should cover every inch of the frame inside and out. This is superior to dip methods as a further level of protection.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,430 Likes on 934 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SWINDLED?