1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

lots of mods but still not where i want to be

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of mods but still not where i want to be

Havent been on here in awhile but some of you may remember me and my truck. its an 89 F350 but has a 95 7.3 in it.

In 2016 I spent around $20,000 on my truck in upgrades, maintenance, and repairs. Here is a list of mods, if I can remember them all:

s366 turbo
full kit with up pipes and plenums
intercooler
stage 1 rosewoods
believe we did headstuds
all new seals and gaskets in motor
hydra with custom tunes
6637 upgrade
4" downpipe
5" exhaust
6" tip
complete e fuel kit
adrenaline hpop
transmission cooler
fully built trans

Truck makes a lot of power but im still not satisfied. Not sure of where I am at on power either. I know itll spin the tires as much as i want and itll dang sure get up and go. I started this as a reliable tow pig build but now I am not towing much anymore.

Truck makes around 32lbs boost now. Past that the map sensor or something cuts out (not sure what exactly is going on) but it is somewhere between cutting out and hitting a rev limiter is what it feels like. When I got the truck back the boost fooler was set to 28lbs boost so I tried to turn it up more, when i got to 35-36 is when it started cutting out. I turned it back down to 30-32 and seems fine so far.

I guess my questions are, anybody have any clue what kind of power I should be putting out? Why does the truck cut out after 30psi boost? It used to do 42psi before retune, hpop, and boost fooler, but would cut out then too sometimes. What is my next upgrade or option from here? Should I do anything different?

I know I should probably be satisfied but I guess I had higher expectations for all that Ive done. I was expecting it to be scary fast.

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for any help, comments, or concerns

Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by breedo99
Havent been on here in awhile but some of you may remember me and my truck. its an 89 F350 but has a 95 7.3 in it.

In 2016 I spent around $20,000 on my truck in upgrades, maintenance, and repairs. Here is a list of mods, if I can remember them all:

s366 turbo
full kit with up pipes and plenums
intercooler
stage 1 rosewoods
believe we did headstuds
all new seals and gaskets in motor
hydra with custom tunes
6637 upgrade
4" downpipe
5" exhaust
6" tip
complete e fuel kit
adrenaline hpop
transmission cooler
fully built trans

Truck makes a lot of power but im still not satisfied. Not sure of where I am at on power either. I know itll spin the tires as much as i want and itll dang sure get up and go. I started this as a reliable tow pig build but now I am not towing much anymore.

Truck makes around 32lbs boost now. Past that the map sensor or something cuts out (not sure what exactly is going on) but it is somewhere between cutting out and hitting a rev limiter is what it feels like. When I got the truck back the boost fooler was set to 28lbs boost so I tried to turn it up more, when i got to 35-36 is when it started cutting out. I turned it back down to 30-32 and seems fine so far.

I guess my questions are, anybody have any clue what kind of power I should be putting out? Why does the truck cut out after 30psi boost? It used to do 42psi before retune, hpop, and boost fooler, but would cut out then too sometimes. What is my next upgrade or option from here? Should I do anything different?

I know I should probably be satisfied but I guess I had higher expectations for all that Ive done. I was expecting it to be scary fast.

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for any help, comments, or concerns
What brand device are you using to limit boost input?
Fast? Its still 8k lbs of mass to move. If you want fast get a different platform like a car.

How much HP does that exh tip add?!?!

Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman67
What brand device are you using to limit boost input?
Fast? Its still 8k lbs of mass to move. If you want fast get a different platform like a car.
Idk what brand it is but the shop called it a "boost fooler" Dont know more than that.

found it

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-267...nihilator.aspx

Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman67

How much HP does that exh tip add?!?!
Id say at least 100hp, especially since its a RBP tip hahahaha

Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
boost fooler is just a pressure regulator, to stop the PCM from seeing full boost

Turning up the fooler PSI will let PCM see the boost and shut down injection

When you turned it up and back down there might have been something in it that let it not regulate pressure causing the PCM to see actual boost

Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
boost fooler is just a pressure regulator, to stop the PCM from seeing full boost

Turning up the fooler PSI will let PCM see the boost and shut down injection

When you turned it up and back down there might have been something in it that let it not regulate pressure causing the PCM to see actual boost
I didnt know how it worked at first, but now I think its where, or close to where, its supposed to be.

But, my question is, since my gauge is showing 30ish psi, is that what im actually making or is that what my pcm thinks im making?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
where is the gauge reading from?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
How about your HPOP? Is it still the stock one?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you've invested well in that rig but maybe you were mislead on the build or developed a misconception along the way. Stage I injectors w an ideally matched turbo can do right up to 400hp. S366 is a good match but not quite as good as it gets so to speak so I'd guess w good tuning you are high 300s hp pushing at 400. That makes for a fast but not scary fast truck that you described. Like Aaron said, that sucka is 4 tons though.

You could always send you injectors back to Jim for 30 or 100% nozzles for not too much money(as compared to getting big hybrids etc). That and some good tuning will push you well into the mid 400s.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:57 AM
breedo99
Elder User
where is the gauge reading from?
not sure, i know the shop that installed it put it where its supososed to go

Old 02-20-2017, 10:58 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
How about your HPOP? Is it still the stock one?
adrenaline hpop

Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM
breedo99
Elder User
Originally Posted by redman84
Sounds like you've invested well in that rig but maybe you were mislead on the build or developed a misconception along the way. Stage I injectors w an ideally matched turbo can do right up to 400hp. S366 is a good match but not quite as good as it gets so to speak so I'd guess w good tuning you are high 300s hp pushing at 400. That makes for a fast but not scary fast truck that you described. Like Aaron said, that sucka is 4 tons though.

You could always send you injectors back to Jim for 30 or 100% nozzles for not too much money(as compared to getting big hybrids etc). That and some good tuning will push you well into the mid 400s.
I think I was just having very high expectations. With the amount of money I have put in the truck, I was thinking I would have the baddest diesel around. But I forget that 7.3's are stupid expensive to work on. And I think you are probably right about the high 3's to 400 hp. That's kinda what I was thinking.

I was considering going back with Stage 2's and another retune before too long.

What kinda torque you think I am making?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:02 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
not sure, i know the shop that installed it put it where its supososed to go
if they knew about the boost fooler, it should be reading actual pressure and not through the PCM.

Wonder if you have a boost leak not allowing full pressure
Can you see black smoke when getting on the right pedal heavy?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:13 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...What kinda torque you think I am making?
I honestly have no clue. Someone else might could tell you.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM
breedo99
Elder User
if they knew about the boost fooler, it should be reading actual pressure and not through the PCM.

Wonder if you have a boost leak not allowing full pressure
Can you see black smoke when getting on the right pedal heavy?
When I got the first round of work done, before fooler, before hpop, and before the second tune, there would be a lot of dense black smoke. Like some serious coal rolling. But after I got the hpop, boost fooler, and a retune to match the new stuff, it doesnt smoke nearly as much. If you stomp the heck out of it from a dead stop itll black smoke a good bit, but when you kick it down to pass, just a puff....

What kinda boost should I be making?

Like I said in original post, I was making 40+ before I had hpop, boost fooler, and the new tune. Thats when I was rolling serious coal as well.

Now its 30 or so, little smoke, but seems to have more power overall. But I think my out of the hole power was more originally...idk tho

Quick Reply: lots of mods but still not where i want to be