2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 f250 lariat tailgate keeps opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 AM
Dieselman1987
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 f250 lariat tailgate keeps opening

I've had the truck 2 days now and love it. But I thought it was I keep hitting the tailgate open button but I made sure this morning I was carefull and didn't checked the gate before leaving got to work the damn thing was open again. That's 3 times now in 2 days.

Help. I have a tonneau cover on but don't think that would cause a issue.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
You can shut this function down with ForScan on the 150s. Not sure if it can be done on the SD's yet.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Dieselman1987
Freshman User
Thanks pal. Yeah it super annoying. I just love it on the key just want it to not do it when I'm driving.

Just a thought. I remote started the truck everytime it's one this.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you have a bug in the system as mine will not open no matter what while driving around or in gear. Unless I am reading it wrong and your pocket dialing before you get in the truck.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 AM
ByronCR
Junior User
Mine did the same thing and I also have a tonneau cover. I thought I was hitting the button on the remote as well. I found that I was not shutting the tailgate hard enough. Since I have been shutting it more firmly, I have not had any issues. I still check every day to see if it opened up though.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Dieselman1987
Freshman User
Thanks guys. I'm going to check and slam it lol. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 AM
ByronCR
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dieselman1987
Thanks guys. I'm going to check and slam it lol. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue.
That is basically what I have been doing, not a slam, but definitely a hard shut, I listen for the click as well. It hasn't opened up on me for over a week now.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Dieselman1987
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ByronCR
That is basically what I have been doing, not a slam, but definitely a hard shut, I listen for the click as well. It hasn't opened up on me for over a week now.
appreciate it pal.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 AM
SuperDuty417
Freshman User
I'd see the dealer!

Just my two cents.......the truck shouldn't be doing that, there is a bug somewhere, whomever is having this issue, take it in and let the dealer fix it. Slamming it doesn't sound like a permanent fix to me. I read this thread and went out to my truck, closed softly, slammed shut. It didn't matter, it didn't automatically open back up. The truck is new, let the dealer work the bug out. I have never had this issue, but that's what I would do.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM
ByronCR
Junior User
Originally Posted by SuperDuty417
Just my two cents.......the truck shouldn't be doing that, there is a bug somewhere, whomever is having this issue, take it in and let the dealer fix it. Slamming it doesn't sound like a permanent fix to me. I read this thread and went out to my truck, closed softly, slammed shut. It didn't matter, it didn't automatically open back up. The truck is new, let the dealer work the bug out. I have never had this issue, but that's what I would do.
Mine was not opening back up immediately or even within a couple of minutes after shutting the tailgate. It would be hours or a day later and I wouldn't know it opened up till after I arrived at my location and went to back in a parking spot and the camera was pointing straight down at the ground. I believe I was being to gentle with shutting it due to my tonneau cover and it was not latching completely. If mine continues to open up in the future I will take it in, but currently shutting it firmly has seemed to resolve the issue.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
SuperDuty417
Freshman User
Tailgate

Good to hear man! Hopefully there is not a bug. Some people are freaking out because the '17 is the first superduty with the completely new system. What most don't understand is that Ford has basically duplicated the F-150 which has been in production for years now, most all the bugs have already been worked out. The reason Ford didn't release the SD at the same time as the 150, they wanted to make sure the SD had all the bugs worked out. The 150 and SD have the same diagnostic platform and generally a lot of the same electronics. They will always sell 150's, but they really did everyone a true service by waiting to eliminate the bugs before manufacturing the SD that is much more expensive. They never want their SD to look bad. It's the sickest truck on the road!

Fun fact: The doors on the F-150 are the same as the 17 SD.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Dieselman1987
Freshman User
***UPDATE ***

It happened again but I might have figured it out. I use my parking brake. So I had it in reverse pulled the brake and boom it when down. I got out put it back put it in reverse again pulled the brake. Watched it drop again. I think it has to do with the in cab switch that's like 1 inch from the be take release.

So I've unhooked that switch and let's see.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Drjim19
New User
This is a serious issue. My Ford Dealer told me that it was my fault. However, it happens even when I do not have the key. This weekend, I was pulling my new 5th wheel when, after 70 miles, the tailgate fell. The key was in my pocket, the only thing in my pocket. My truck and trailer were damaged. I am going to my dealer uninvited tomorrow to insist on repairs for both. I think Ford should be issuing a recall

Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 PM
K2500Z71
Senior User
Originally Posted by Drjim19
This is a serious issue. My Ford Dealer told me that it was my fault. However, it happens even when I do not have the key. This weekend, I was pulling my new 5th wheel when, after 70 miles, the tailgate fell. The key was in my pocket, the only thing in my pocket. My truck and trailer were damaged. I am going to my dealer uninvited tomorrow to insist on repairs for both. I think Ford should be issuing a recall
Go to the NHTSA website and register a complaint. There are enough of these incidents reported here that something is amiss and it constitutes a safety issue. Once there are a few similar reports, NHTSA will open an investigation which could lead to a recall.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Drjim19
New User
There is a way of preventing the uncommanded lowering of the tailgate on a 2017 Superduty. The Upfitter Switch wires are under the hood on the driver side. There are 5 or so unused wires passing through the firewall on the passenger side. Fuse number 16 on the passenger side provides power to the tailgate latches, but not the camera or light. I suggest using Upfitter switch 5 or 6 so that you do not have to have the truck running to drop the tailgate. I also suggest using a buzzer to tell you that the tailgate circuit is active. A generic fuseholder has just enough wire attached to make the connection on the passenger side. Both the Upfitter wires and the wires passing through the firewall are short, so patience is required, but it works.

Quick Reply: 2017 f250 lariat tailgate keeps opening