Sponsored by:

Top water leak at rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:30 PM
352Ford
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top water leak at rear glass

I just finished up a project on my 96 bronco (or so I thought); fixing up the interior, adding sound deadening, and replacing most of the seals in the top, but now I have a pretty good water leak in the back.

It seems the bedrail to top seal that interfaces the rear window glass has a large gap and that’s where the water is getting in (see pics below with a 10 gauge wire easily snaking in). These seals are new, I just put them on, and I am not sure exactly how I could have screwed up the installation since it is pined in place by the attachment screws.

I am leaning toward these seals were incorrectly made, but I would love to hear some opinions. Anyone else run into this issue? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm I know I need to replace those seals on mine since they are old/missing and leaking bad.

I don't know for sure, but it may be possible that the rear window can be adjusted, and is potentially out of alignment. I haven't looked to see if there is a way to adjust the angle these windows come up, but it seems as if my window has the same sort of issue you are having, except my seals aren't new.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 PM
352Ford
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Hmm I know I need to replace those seals on mine since they are old/missing and leaking bad.

I don't know for sure, but it may be possible that the rear window can be adjusted, and is potentially out of alignment. I haven't looked to see if there is a way to adjust the angle these windows come up, but it seems as if my window has the same sort of issue you are having, except my seals aren't new.
The frustrating part for me is that the old OEM Ford seals didn't leak before I replaced them, I only replaced them because I had the top off doing other repairs and thought "might as well". I am really regretting it now.

These seals are from LMC truck, and to be honest were better than the first set I ordered from Jeff's bronco graveyard, but maybe they wouldn't have had this problem. Hard to say...

Old 02-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are BOTH sides like that?

I replaced ALL of the top seals 10 or more years ago, I ordered up the Ford seals, they were still available then. I looked at mine today, where your wire is. On mine, the black rubber is parallel and against the glass.

The issue I had with my Ford seals was on the right side, lower down than your problem. I was getting some water in at the very right rear corner of the bed. Only way to find it was with me inside, helper with sprinkling can on the outside. Found that a seal area that should contact the side of the tailgate higher up, was not hitting solidly. Tailgate alignment was fine. Drying it all off, and using some powder on the seal, trying water again, then opening it, I could find the exact area that it was leaking by. I needed to build up the seal somehow.

Clear silicone caulk was handy, but how could I form it properly in between two things that close together?
I put a very thin coat of vaseline (I only use it for automotive purposes!) on the tailgate part, so the silicone wouldn't stick to it. I roughened up the rubber seal a bit with some sandpaper, for better adhesion, then put the silicone caulk onto the rubber seal, then carefully closed the tailgate. Left it closed for 2 days, then opened it, and cleaned off all vaseline. Worked great. Seal built up, and no more leak. Been fine ever since.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:18 PM
352Ford
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Torky2
Are BOTH sides like that?

I replaced ALL of the top seals 10 or more years ago, I ordered up the Ford seals, they were still available then. I looked at mine today, where your wire is. On mine, the black rubber is parallel and against the glass.

The issue I had with my Ford seals was on the right lside, lower down than your problem. I was getting some water in at the very right rear corner of the bed. Only way to find it was with me inside, helper with sprinkling can on the outside. Found that a seal area that should contact the side of the tailgate higher up, was not hitting solidly. Tailgate alignment was fine. Drying it all off, and using some powder on the seal, trying water again, then opening it, I could find the exact area that it was leaking by. I needed to build up the seal somehow.

Clear silicone caulk was handy, but how could I form it properly in between two things that close together?
I put a very thin coat of vaseline (I only use it for automotive purposes!) on the tailgate part, so the silicone wouldn't stick to it. I roughened up the rubber seal a bit with some sandpaper, for better adhesion, then put the silicone caulk onto the rubber seal, then carefully closed the tailgate. Left it closed for 2 days, then opened it, and cleaned off all vaseline. Worked great. Seal built up, and no more leak. Been fine ever since.
Yes it is both sides. I looked for some Ford seals but they seemed to have obsoleted them, I might check to see if there is any NOS kicking around.

I like your idea on building up the seal, if you have any pictures I would love to see them. I am a little worried about how much I would have to build up, but was thinking of bonding a thick piece of weather stripping.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I want to see those pictures too Torky.