Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Center Support/U joints... this autta be fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Center Support/U joints... this autta be fun

When finishing up the backup camera install today, I happened to grab ahold of the driveshaft and sure enough, that C.S. bearing is done.
I remember an old member down in san Diego, on the base, which basically would blast these things every year. He eventually found a good one which has/had lasted for awhile. So, think I'll go his route and give it a gander. Won't be until first of Feb.. Goin out of town this week, but here the link
https://www.iedls.com/?a=Our_Difference#Our Difference

Old 01-23-2017, 10:12 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the one in Ontario replace mine with a stock one, but I didn't know they had a better option.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
The center support ain't that tough. I replaced mine with a standard duty unit @ 170k.

The problem most have with durability is damaging either the bearing, housing, or shaft during install - or misalignment of the components creating an imbalance. Mark your shaft and flanges at all points - differential, u-joint yokes, center spline, and tranny/transfer case.

Make sure you have the right part for the application. Compare the new part carefully with the failed part, there are several ID and drop sizes. Carefully inspect all U-Joints, replace as necessary. The slinger can be reused if in good shape and not supplied.

The center bearing unit is a press fit - get it pressed on the shaft properly, don't just bang it in place. Reassemble the shaft taking care to align all according to your marks. When you reinstall the shaft make sure to lube the splines. If you have used care not to damage the dust boot it will only require a new clamp.

Like most things this is a simple job if you pay attention to your work!

2002 Two Piece Driveshaft.pdf

2002 Driveshaft Center Support.pdf

Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
That's pretty close to me Tim. Let me know if you go down there, we can meet and talk PS.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Lets roll tmrw, Chet... Around noonish. Anytime after that, the 91e is a bear

Old 01-24-2017, 07:20 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Everybody keep in touch. Nice seeing Y'all in here..Hear!!!

????

What did you find?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Tim didn't see this. It's 1:04 Wednesday. I'm sorry. Was with the wife, she got my flue bug I had a week ago. If you didn't come I can meet you Thursday! God bless,
Chet

Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
No worries Chet... Ended up hitting a driveline shop here in Placentia. The guy didn't have much to say about the product in question. It's a hit/miss with polyurethane type carrier bearings.
. He did say though, a new type carrier is hitting the market. Something asking the lines of it being called an "anchor". He real optimistic about it. He also said, he wouldn't touch my ride in doing a one piece driveshaft... He hasn't been in business for 50yrs, if not knowing something..😉

Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
...He also said, he wouldn't touch my ride in doing a one piece driveshaft... He hasn't been in business for 50yrs, if not knowing something..😉
He knows what he is talking about!

A one piece driveshaft is not going to work on a Superduty for long. There is a reason for the two piece and center support.

BTW - What year and wheelbase is your truck?

Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Yeah horse.. Dude was cool and was very forthcoming with everything and answering questions. My buddy had used him v for a looong time with his racecar stuff, so I new he knew a few things and not, just to make a buck.
The trucks' a 2wd supercad std bed. He mentioned in order for it to work, it would be to be a 5" aluminum shaft, and even then, that "slip" design, I think he said, want it there. He also had on display from a customer, a driveline that was metal, and too long for application. Ended up doing a jumprope effect and ripped/twisted in two

Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Alright Tim, glad you got it done. I think it was a place in Texas that was doing the one piece drive shafts. Not sure I would want one either. But I haven't heard any complaints on those who got one. Another time. Maybe we can get Brad to come down and see his truck. Like to have a ride in it with his new set up. T4 and turbo and 200/80 sticks.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Alright Tim, glad you got it done. I think it was a place in Texas that was doing the one piece drive shafts. Not sure I would want one either. But I haven't heard any complaints on those who got one. Another time. Maybe we can get Brad to come down and see his truck. Like to have a ride in it with his new set up. T4 and turbo and 200/80 sticks.
Yep! We still need to meet up. My truck is on jack stands right now waiting on new rear calipers and hoses. They should be here tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman
He knows what he is talking about!

A one piece driveshaft is not going to work on a Superduty for long. There is a reason for the two piece and center support.

BTW - What year and wheelbase is your truck?
My truck has and came with a 1 piece drive shaft from the factory. I drive a 2000 F-250 short bed super cab with a ZF6. It now has just under 250K miles on it and tows a 5th wheel up mountains with no problems.

Why is the single piece such a bad thing? I am not doubting your knowledge or experience, just trying to learn.

EDIT: Perhaps I am not fully understanding the difference between a 1, 2 and 3 piece drive shaft after doing some reading online. I know that I DO NOT have have center/carrier bearing, but perhaps my drive shaft is not a 1 piece, but a 2 piece with a slip joint toward the rear.

The truck in this video is not mine, but this is the same drive shaft I have on my truck. There is no carrier/center bearing, but the drive shaft itself is 2 pieces. So, do you fellas with carrier/center bearings actually have 3 piece drive shafts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnHBMqHTxjU

Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Only two on mine and it's a CC LB 4x4. Sounds good Brad. I need to change mine out as well. Bought all new SS brake lines and haven't installed them yet. I think I'll wait till it gets warmer.

Quick Reply: Center Support/U joints... this autta be fun