Propride pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:10 PM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Propride pulled the trigger

I just ordered a propride hitch for my camper. Talked to Sean about the difference from the 1k to 1400lb bars. As my RV sits at 960lb now for the tounge weight. He recommended the 1400 bars. Allows me to really dial in the set up. Plus if I upgrade campers to a heavier weight. All set from the get go. Just have to wait the 7 to 10 days for new orders to ship. Plus 3 day ground. Can't wait to try the new set up out. Hopefully a night and day experience.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Never owned one, but never talked to a dissatisfied owner.

Steve

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
I run the very similar Hensley Arrow hitch and I love it, leaps and bounds over the traditional WD hitch it replaced.
Take your time getting it setup correctly and then enjoy many happy miles with it!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:10 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I run the very similar Hensley Arrow hitch and I love it, leaps and bounds over the traditional WD hitch it replaced.
Take your time getting it setup correctly and then enjoy many happy miles with it!
​​​​​​​I took a very good look at both. Probably the biggest reason I went with Propride was the adjustable receiver bar. Other than that, they are almost the same. Should allow for my wife to drive now incase I get tired on a longer pull. That will be a huge plus for me.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:43 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Yeah, I really like the adjustable stinger idea on the PP, Hensley should get onboard with one too, but they don't seem to be interested.
Since I bought my used HA I have resprung my EX adding 4" of lift, bumped up from 31.6" to 35" tires and gone from a TH with a top mount ball coupler to a TT with a mid mount coupler. I have been super lucky that through all of those changes and the timing of each that my 4" rise/drop HA stinger has worked with each change. Just dumb luck, but with just slightly different timing or mods I would have needed to buy a different size stinger for $200.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 AM
OkieSweetness
Junior User
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome Hitch but requires patience!

I am a super happy Propride owner hauling a large TT behind an Excursion. Amazing Difference!! That being said, it can be very frustrating. hitches up way differently than conventional hitches. There is a steep practical learning curve. I realize it may sound dumb, but watch the youtube videos on hitching it up beforehand, will save you some frustration later!! I swear by it now, but it comes with some growing pains.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Ottawasteve
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockertom
I just ordered a propride hitch for my camper. Talked to Sean about the difference from the 1k to 1400lb bars. As my RV sits at 960lb now for the tounge weight. He recommended the 1400 bars. Allows me to really dial in the set up. Plus if I upgrade campers to a heavier weight. All set from the get go. Just have to wait the 7 to 10 days for new orders to ship. Plus 3 day ground. Can't wait to try the new set up out. Hopefully a night and day experience.

I gather you will be towing with same TV and TT with a different hitch. Will be interested in hearing your experience between the two hitches. I have been using the 3P since day one pulling my travel trailer, that is 8000lbs loaded for camping, for last 3 years and love the absolute stability while towing. I went with the 1400 lbs bars as well on Sean's recommendation. I was picking up a new trailer and dealer botched set-up (after repeatedly assuring me that had installed many many Hensley and 3P hitches). I took pictures and sent them to Sean and he immediately diagnosed the installation screw-ups and I was able to uninstall and reinstall it properly and hitch has been great since.

I initially had some minor issues with the height adjustments which meant I had to raise and lower trailer jack while backing the stinger in but once that was adjusted, hitchup is faster and easier than a regular ball coupler. I use the same portable drill and socket for the leveling jacks as for the Propride jacks.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts
I have had my ProPride for 6 years, it was a lot of cash but has served me well. This is the 3rd trailer it has been on and it makes the long highway pulls so much easier, think of it as a towing investment.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 PM
rockertom
Senior User
ProPride showed up today. Hopefully get it installed here soon. Waiting on my tires for another 2 weeks. Then hopefully try it out and see what the difference is.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Heavy ain't it

Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Ok, here is a tip. Install everything on the trailer first, don't worry about adjusting the stinger.. yet. Note, you will need to buy self tapping screws and washers for shims to go under your propane bottle stand, one of the brackets will go where the bottles sit and you will have to bridge it.

I had trouble figuring out the stinger instructions, once your camper is hooked to you truck leveling is similar to other WDH hitches. Make sure to install the mushroom in the hitch, the stinger needs to have a downward pitch, when you crank up the WD jacks it moved the articulating head up in the back and down in the front, the stinger pointed down will be the point that pushes the front of your truck down (does this make sense?)

Old 02-02-2017, 04:06 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Ok, here is a tip. Install everything on the trailer first, don't worry about adjusting the stinger.. yet. Note, you will need to buy self tapping screws and washers for shims to go under your propane bottle stand, one of the brackets will go where the bottles sit and you will have to bridge it.

I had trouble figuring out the stinger instructions, once your camper is hooked to you truck leveling is similar to other WDH hitches. Make sure to install the mushroom in the hitch, the stinger needs to have a downward pitch, when you crank up the WD jacks it moved the articulating head up in the back and down in the front, the stinger pointed down will be the point that pushes the front of your truck down (does this make sense?)
​​​​​​​Thanks for the tip. I will ake my time to get it set up correctly. Yes it was heavy moving it from the front porch to the garage. Looking forward to this.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
You will need a helper to lift up the head to the trailer coupler, may need a third person to latch it down, the bugger is hefty.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
You will need a helper to lift up the head to the trailer coupler, may need a third person to latch it down, the bugger is hefty.
i need to have new tires put on too. Was just thinking of calling camping world and see how much it would cost me to just have them do it all. Not that I can't do the hitch install. Question is whether it will be worth my time to do it myself or just pay someone to do it for me. Thinking it over

Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rockertom
i need to have new tires put on too. Was just thinking of calling camping world and see how much it would cost me to just have them do it all. Not that I can't do the hitch install. Question is whether it will be worth my time to do it myself or just pay someone to do it for me. Thinking it over

They probably won't want to touch it. In all reality it is not that hard AND you get to know every part of the system. Sean will help and many of us can too if you run into a bind. Plan on a 2-3 hr install if you do it yourself.

BTW camper dealers hate Pro Prides because their spotting tractors can't grab and go with them.

Quick Reply: Propride pulled the trigger