Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels to get

Hey guys! So I'm thinking about getting some new wheels. I've been looking at the Pro Comp 1069 wheels. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-1069-6185
These are 16 inch as I have a set of all terrain 265/75/16's my dad is giving me. How much offset will these wheels provide and will I have any rubbing issues? I'm looking for a little bit of offset to make my truck have a bit of stance. Any reply helps!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Those wheels say they have a -25mm offset so about -1". You're not so much looking for "offset" as you are a wider track width right? You want the tires to stick out past the fenders more?

I don't know what offset factory wheels are but i wouldn't even try to run a 265mm wide tire on a 10" wide rim. I would wait to get your wheels until you get wider tires if you're looking for a wider track width.

If i was buying wheels id get 8" wide and run 285/75/16s. But i have no idea if they'll clear stock f150 suspension.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM
chillman88
Senior User
From what im seeing here..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1139994-f150-back-spacing-questions.html

It looks like maybe a 16x8 wheel with a 3" backspacing might be heading in the right direction.

Do you have any idea what width your wheels are now? Shoot up a couple pics of what have now.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
Chillman88, these are the wheels I'm running right now. They are stock 15x7s. I think I might go with what you are suggesting and getting the 8 inch wide. I do want them to stick a little past the fenders a little. Will I need to level my truck at all for the bigger tires?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by Spencer Murray
Chillman88, these are the wheels I'm running right now. They are stock 15x7s. I think I might go with what you are suggesting and getting the 8 inch wide. I do want them to stick a little past the fenders a little. Will I need to level my truck at all for the bigger tires?
I've never played with an F150 and tire sizes, before I bought my F350 all I had was a Chevy. If the stock tire size on your truck is 235/75/15 then the 265/75/16 will be almost 3" larger in diameter and just over an inch wider. You might need a levelling kit, especially with less backspacing. Making them stick out further will bring them closer to the fender while turning. I'm hoping someone with an F150 will chime in on if theyll rub or not.

The reason I don't think you should try the 265 tires on the 10" wheels is this:

They baloon out because the rim is the same width as the tire. Some like the look, others like me think it looks stupid. To each his own. I off-road sometimes and a tire like that is just begging to blow off the bead on a trail.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
What about just some 31x10.5x15 tires but on some eight inch wide wheels? I really like the aggressive look of sticking out further than stock. Another issue I though about is that I have the 3.08 rear end. My truck is a 351 so it makes power pretty good, but I don't want to be dragging around town. Should I change to a 3.55 or 3.73 with bigger tires?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:39 PM
chillman88
Senior User
What about just some 31x10.5x15 tires but on some eight inch wide wheels? I really like the aggressive look of sticking out further than stock. Another issue I though about is that I have the 3.08 rear end. My truck is a 351 so it makes power pretty good, but I don't want to be dragging around town. Should I change to a 3.55 or 3.73 with bigger tires?
There still could be an issue with rubbing with those but i think they would look good.

You'll probably be fine with the 31s, i wouldn't want to go any bigger though without lower gears. I have 3.42s in one of my trucks and running 32s it would be nice to have more gear. Really depends on how you use your truck though. If you have a truck because you want a truck but use it like a car you'll be fine. Its when you work it or tow alot that you'll notice the gearing alot more.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
I tow occasionally but no more than a couple thousand pounds. My gears slug in overdrive going up even small hills so I've wanted lower gears for a while. Just afraid that if I get bigger tires it will slug even more. I want to maintain my mpgs, but I don't mind losing 1 and gaining some off the line power. Let's say I wanted to do the 3.73, how much would it cost me?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
chillman88
Senior User
I tow occasionally but no more than a couple thousand pounds. My gears slug in overdrive going up even small hills so I've wanted lower gears for a while. Just afraid that if I get bigger tires it will slug even more. I want to maintain my mpgs, but I don't mind losing 1 and gaining some off the line power. Let's say I wanted to do the 3.73, how much would it cost me?
I can't see signatures on my phone but it looks like your truck is 2wd. If you are smart about it you could do it fairly cheap. If you could find a used axle that would be the cheapest, just swap the axle. I'm not sure what most shops charge to set up rear gears but I've heard its usually around $1000 to have an axle regeared, i think that includes parts though. Gears alone are usually $200-300 plus bearings and oil.

If you do have it done, make sure its someone who either has done them before or will at least warranty the labor AND parts. If someone doesn't set them up right they can be noisy or even chew themselves up.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
Thanks for the information! And yes my truck is a 2wd. Hopefully she'll be a 4wd one day. Most people would say I'd be better off to get a different truck, but I have a good amount of money in mine and plus it's my first vehicle. I think what I'll end up doing is running my stock wheels and tires for now and then save my money up for a few months and then do the rear axle swap with a 3.73 and then get the wheels and tires. Thank you so much for the good advice!!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM
chillman88
Senior User
Thanks for the information! And yes my truck is a 2wd. Hopefully she'll be a 4wd one day. Most people would say I'd be better off to get a different truck, but I have a good amount of money in mine and plus it's my first vehicle. I think what I'll end up doing is running my stock wheels and tires for now and then save my money up for a few months and then do the rear axle swap with a 3.73 and then get the wheels and tires. Thank you so much for the good advice!!

Let me get one thing straight. You definitely WOULD be better off getting another truck... But where's the fun in that?

9 years ago I bought my Chevy. It was an auto, with a 305. I've since rebuilt and upgraded to a manual transmission and swapped in a 350. I've upgraded the computer, put in a heavier rear axle, and numerous other little things.

If I had been SMART, I would have saved thousands over the past 9 years, but my truck is MY truck. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into it and I can proudly call it mine. In the end it doesn't matter what would have been cheaper or what anyone else thinks. I have the memories, and thats priceless.

As for your plans to do gears first, EXCELLENT plan. You'll definitely notice it going from 3.08 to 3.73. Just make sure you get your speedometer recalibrated after the gear swap. I don't know how to do that on your truck but im sure someone here does!

Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 AM
bert cook
Senior User
Spencer if you are hell bent on turning your 2wheel drive into a 4x4 the best way to go is buy a wrecked 4x4 the same year that way youwill have every thing you you need and most likely cheaper

Old 01-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
All this information really helps. I think what I'm gonna do for now is drive it how it is until at least the summer, then get the wrecked 4x4 truck with everything I need and start building the 4x4. I should have enough money by then because I plan on going to Lackland over the summer and getting a very nice check after I graduate BMT. I'm pretty dead set on keeping the truck because it is my baby lol. Again I really appreciate all the advice and help!!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 AM
chillman88
Senior User
Good plan! Make sure you figure in all new bushings and everything when you swap. It's the little stuff that breaks the bank! Good idea to kill two birds with one stone and do the gears while doing the 4x4 swap.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Spencer Murray
Freshman User
Let's say I were to do the axle swap with 3.73 gears. How would that affect my gas mileage with stock wheels and tires?

Quick Reply: Wheels to get