Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No wts no start ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 AM
Jack Dressler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No wts no start ideas???

My first Deisel can use all the help I can get!! I have a 2001 7.3 480.000 on it (by the way is that considered high) I had a bully dog installed but have since uninstalled. Was running fine then just quit no spit no sputter just nothing. Bully dog read oil temp defueling. Got it in n garage had two qts to much oil in it got that straightened out uninstalled the BD (has a new icp) now when you turn the key on no wts and won't start unplugged fuel bowl heater checked all fuses. When I crank it oil press comes up maybe slight tach movment. No check engine light. Let it sit 4 awhile with batt unhooked (charging) hooked them backup turned key wts came on started ran 4-5 sec died. Turn key to on no wts no start. Have moved wires around unplugged and plugged in connections bully dog did communicate with pcm when uninstalled. I am now lost would appreciate any help fellas

Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
did you try changing the CPS?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Jack Dressler
Freshman User
Yes new cps

Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Dressler
Yes new cps
OEM/International version or China special?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:40 AM
aaron8669
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any white smoke while cranking? No WTS light. Have you checked your GPR? Have you tried plugging it in and crank on it after a few hours?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Jack Dressler
Freshman User
:got me China special both icp and cps. Won't do that agian! Did start with it in it. How do u check the gpr also will plug it in overnight and try it agian. Truck is in heated garage.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
There are tests that you can perform with a multi-meter and test for voltage when there is supposed to be, perform a quick search and you should be enlightened.

Also, you can use a pair of insulated pliers and short the 2 large terminals together for a short period making the connection manually. I would only do this as a last resort after testing the GPR though.

These engines/trucks are notorious for being very picky about sensors that are not OEM or International.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Dressler
My first Deisel can use all the help I can get!! I have a 2001 7.3 480.000 on it (by the way is that considered high)

Depends on how it has been treated. I have driven 7.3 vans with more than 650,000 miles on them.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
easiest way to test the glow plug relay. open hood and place volt meter on top of engine.
turn key to run position and hop out to under hood and test the large terminals on the glow plug relay. both should have 12 volts. if only one does, there is a possibility the relay is bad. on the small terminals, one will have 12 volts and the other is the ground to turn the relay on. if you have power to one large and one small terminal, ground out the small one with no power. if the relay clicks and then sends power to the other large terminal, the relay is good . if it does not, the relay is bad.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC no wait to start light was the PCM relay under the hood if all else checks ok. I had a similar issue last year - pulled relay, light sanding on blades, reinstalled and good to go.

PS

Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
easiest way to test the glow plug relay. open hood and place volt meter on top of engine.
turn key to run position and hop out to under hood and test the large terminals on the glow plug relay. both should have 12 volts. if only one does, there is a possibility the relay is bad. on the small terminals, one will have 12 volts and the other is the ground to turn the relay on. if you have power to one large and one small terminal, ground out the small one with no power. if the relay clicks and then sends power to the other large terminal, the relay is good . if it does not, the relay is bad.

I am a little more lazy than that, about opening the hood to see if the GPR/Alternator is working correctly. I have one of these from wallyworld
Sears.com Bargains&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

plug in before turning on key....
should have over 12 volts
turn key on 'wait to start'.
if GPS comes on, voltage will drop to around 11-11.5 v.
if GPS does not come on, voltage will stay at over 12v.
if voltage drops below 10.5v because of bad batts, truck will not start.
(need over 10.5v to start)
start your truck....
voltage will remain around 11-11.5v while GPS is on
when GPS shuts off while the truck is running...
The voltage will slowly rise to the out put of the Alternator (around 13.5v)

The 12v plug in meter will tell you a lot about what is going on is a short time frame.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, No WTS light! I would try swapping the relays around IDM, PCM, FP. I remember seeing the WTS light even if the engine is warm, it just cycles off sooner. It could be the computer is not starting up correctly.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Jack Dressler
Freshman User
Preciate it fellows will try all this out in the morning let you know how it goes

Old 01-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Jack Dressler
Freshman User
what is the oil temp defueling just a false reading from The Bully Dog? No way the oil temperature could have jumped that quick

Old 01-18-2017, 01:02 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is possible that the oil temp sensor is going bad. The PCM relies on getting solid readings from all the sensors that are connected to it. If it sees flaky readings, a default decision could be to shutdown. The EOT sensor(engine oil temp) is not that expensive and is involved in how the PCM runs the engine all the time, especially since there is no coolant sensor connected to the PCM. The dash coolant temp indication is a different sensor and not connected to the PCM.

Larry

Quick Reply: No wts no start ideas???