6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hello Chaps Bulletproof Diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 04:33 PM
grahamdelooze
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Chaps Bulletproof Diesel conversion

Hi Chaps, I had an oil cooler block up which took out my EGR cooler so I was "rolling water"

Since I'm out on my own here in England and no one does spares for these trucks here every thing has to be imported.
I read you lads might experience repeat oil cooler blockages after a coolant flush so after doing some home work on this site I decided to fit a Bullet proof diesel kit which places a standard ford oil cooler in an easier position to replace should it happen again.

I rang BP and they were very helpful, recommending a pro install kit which included some "while your at it" parts such as filters and some extra gaskets and o rings that your going to need.

Although the kit isn't cheap I went with the cheaper option which includes the std ford oil cooler as we don't have extreme weather temps here.
Also cost is subjective as its quite a big job and I didn't want to do it twice.
A big box arrived quickly, I'm an engineer and the the c.n.c parts of the kit look excellent quality with very good instructions.

Although this is an involved job, this excellent site has plenty of threads on the job with pictures which was a great help with plenty of tips. Also I recommend videos on youtube by Diesel Tech Ron (rip. After watching many of his videos I was very sad to learn of his passing)

The conversion went well and it repositions the oil cooler on the passenger side of the engine bay. Only problem I had was I couldn't mount the new vac tank as in the instructions and had to improvise but this may be due to model differences. I also did the blue spring kit while I was at it.

Once fitted and road tested, at 60mph and no load cruising I have about a 4/5 degree delta eot/ect with water lower but weather here is -5/+5 deg C. as its winter.

I would say if your at the stage where you can replace your brakes, if you do the home work, work methodically you can do this job.

Graham

Old 01-16-2017, 10:32 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 386 Likes on 237 Posts
Good stuff, glad you got it sorted.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:08 AM
OneCylinder
Senior User
Good job Graham. What configuration do you have that 6.0 in? Post a photo of it, lets see some landscape from the other side of the pond.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 AM
53jimc
Tuned
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about your successful project. There probably aren't a lot of these over there, right?
Where in England are you? I have friends in Peterboro and Kettering and have been over there 26 times. We also have a plant in St. Neots. It's like home to me.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 AM
grahamdelooze
Junior User
Hello Chaps,

My truck is an F250 xlt Double cab long bed srw psd 6.0 and Ive had it 10 years.

I can drive for a year and not see another but I may see 5 Dodge Rams.

I live in Farming country 25 miles north of Manchester and the engineering belt and just south of the Lake district.

Peterboro Kettering and St. Neots are mid south and is also nice countryside. Every where is green all year as it seems like its either raining or about to rain.

A few years ago I was in Joplin Missouri pulling a machine out at a factory who had a tornado drill that we didn't need to attend. We were asked if we had them in the UK. No need, I replied, we never get tornado's, some slates blew of some houses once and that made the news.

Two months later Joplin was destroyed. They sent me photos ,the devastation was unbelievable.

Having a truck long term like mine here can be scary sometimes when you read this forum for potential problems but also is a great help to get it fixed. Parts are relatively cheap and dealers in the USA are happy to send me what I need which normally arrives in a week so no big deal.

Regards

Graham