6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Transmission lines upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission lines upgrade?

Morning folks.

Just wanted to ask if there is a way to replace my current transmission lines on the passenger side to steel braided lines? Also, is there a kit on the market for this? I'm hoping that these steel braided lines can delete the external tranny filter assembly since I have no filter in there. I've already updated the internal filter and tranny pan to 08 style.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and I have the mishimoto radiator too. If I can recall, I think the quick-connects for the tranny lines that plug into the radiator are screwed on. Would be nice if there was a steel braided line that screws on.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I've never seen anyone use braided lines in that application, but I don't watch for it either. About 8 years ago when those lines started to leak on my truck I just cut them off after their fittings and installed transmission hose on those "barbs" with three hose clamps and ran it in place.

On another forum there is a member who says running without the filter in place screws up the flow so he says to always run with one. Not if that's true as a) I never tested the theory; b) you talking about completely removing the filter assembly.

My intial thought if you want to use braided lines is not a cheap one. I used to deal a lot with Swageloc for fitting and lines. It's a top quality outfit. They can build braided hoses with Swageloc compression ends that would fit over the lines cut after the fittings, preferable in stainless stee. Their fitting and hoses are used in nuclear power plants and other important situations, so I think transmission lines would be OK.

Building up some hoses from Jegs or Summit would probably also work.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:46 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In Ca. "The Hose Man" can build just about anything you want and at very reasonable cost. There is another competitor but I don't remember the name off hand. How ya been Dom?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:17 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I've never seen anyone use braided lines in that application, but I don't watch for it either. About 8 years ago when those lines started to leak on my truck I just cut them off after their fittings and installed transmission hose on those "barbs" with three hose clamps and ran it in place.

On another forum there is a member who says r unhinged without the filter in place screws up the flow so he says to always run with one. Not if that's true as a) I never tested the theory; b) you talking about completely removing the filter assembly.

My intial thought if you want to use braided lines is not a cheap one. I used to deal a lot with Swageloc for fitting and lines. It's a top quality outfit. They can build braided hoses with Swageloc compression ends that would fit over the lines cut after the fittings, preferable in stainless stee. Their fitting and hoses are used in nuclear power plants and other important situations, so I think transmission lines would be OK.

Building up some hoses from Jegs or Summit would probably also work.
That runs counter to whenever I've seen Mark K. weigh in on the subject -- usually when we talk about going to the '08 pan/filter. As I understand it: the transmission has a thermostat that controls whether flow is directed to the front cooler (a minimal amt. may always flow), then the filter is a bypass type off the t-stat controlled flow, and most of the flow is bypassing it anyway -- if you had a clogged filter 100% of the flow from the transmission would go to the cooler. So in Dom's case, if he removes the filter housing, it is the same as a clogged toilet paper filter. IIRC: Mark says the filter housing diverts about 10% to the filter max?

My bet is that is based on something like orifice size on the inlet to the filter.

Jack: any more you can share on what the other forum has used to deduce this flow issue w/o an up front filter in the canister? I'm asking because I plan to run it empty myself after my last filter gets used...

Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally, why delete the external filter. It just gives you an extra 10% of filtering over the internal filter. Never heard of too much filtering being bad unless it also involved restricting flow.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:46 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Guess you noticed I've upgraded my iPad software and now it's back to deciphering my typing.

The dark side was not a positive experience. The poster stated he "tested" the flow with and without the filter and it needed to be place. I was just doing my "I know a guy" aspect.

The filter is cheap, I'm just going to continue to use its ability in concert.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:09 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Personally, why delete the external filter. It just gives you an extra 10% of filtering over the internal filter. Never heard of too much filtering being bad unless it also involved restricting flow.
^^^Exactly my point way back when in that 08 pan thread. For an 11 dollar filter that catches more microscopic particles why the hell would you not run it. Especially with those electronic solenoids in the valve body. Don't make sense why one will even ask.
That's all I got to say. Anymore is beating a dead horse.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when using braided line is support
to keep it from drooping and snagging on something.
Myself I would just let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
NO issues having the empty external trans filter (IF you have the upgraded '08 trans pan w/filter). Ford shipped them from the factory empty until they removed them completely. But, as 69cj said, why not continue to have extra filtering!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
^^^Exactly my point way back when in that 08 pan thread. For an 11 dollar filter that catches more microscopic particles why the hell would you not run it. Especially with those electronic solenoids in the valve body. Don't make sense why one will even ask.
That's all I got to say. Anymore is beating a dead horse.
Ya' didn't have to say the dead horse thang....

I believe in my thread on doing the pan/filter conversion, I called it 110% filtering

ok, maybe I'll leave it in there so somebody 2 generations from now will have one damn clean trans...

Old 01-15-2017, 09:02 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Jack nailed it

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Just a hunter / gatherer.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Just a hunter / gatherer.
And sometimes an archaeologist. Thanks for digging that up. The horse had enough.

Quick Reply: Transmission lines upgrade?