6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04 6.0 will run great then eventually die

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:06 PM
landgreen
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 6.0 will run great then eventually die

2004 later year 6.0 F-350. 155,000 miles. All stock.

It will start and run fine. Drove it for an hour then began running rough. Nursed it back home. When idling it eventually died. It will eventually fire up but runs really bad. It has done this a few times

Ive done fuel filters and 911 fuel treatment because thought it was gelling. No help.

It has injector circuit fault codes that pop up. Only other code is MAF sensor low but in range. First it was codes for cylinders 3,5. Then 3,5,8. Then 1,3,5,8. Now just injector 1. Keeps changing as I refresh. Battery power fine. FICM is 47.5- 48volts and in sync. ICP at idle is 600-700psi. IPR is 25%.

We had a problem with blowing turbo pipe off so may be overboosting. Not sure. No code thrown relating to that.

Possible wire chafing? Maybe bad tank of fuel? Not sure where to turn at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-22-2016, 08:26 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by landgreen
2004 later year 6.0 F-350. 155,000 miles. All stock.

It will start and run fine. Drove it for an hour then began running rough. Nursed it back home. When idling it eventually died. It will eventually fire up but runs really bad. It has done this a few times

Ive done fuel filters and 911 fuel treatment because thought it was gelling. No help.

It has injector circuit fault codes that pop up. Only other code is MAF sensor low but in range. First it was codes for cylinders 3,5. Then 3,5,8. Then 1,3,5,8. Now just injector 1. Keeps changing as I refresh. Battery power fine. FICM is 47.5- 48volts and in sync. ICP at idle is 600-700psi. IPR is 25%.

We had a problem with blowing turbo pipe off so may be overboosting. Not sure. No code thrown relating to that.

Possible wire chafing? Maybe bad tank of fuel? Not sure where to turn at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Those hot idle numbers? Seem a bit high if you are pushing 700 and 25%

Sure it's not starving for fuel? Has it ever had the blue spring update done?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 PM
landgreen
Freshman User
Yes hot idle. I installed blue spring years ago. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge. I will probably get the adapter soon.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
how about the correct oil filter and cap

Old 12-22-2016, 09:38 PM
landgreen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
how about the correct oil filter and cap
Yep. Motorcraft. Good to go.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So it will start fine, cold, all the time but when hot will die at some point?

I wonder if the injector codes can be caused by the lack of oil.....just thinking out loud here, if they are triggered once it starts to starve and die.

What were you seeing for ICP/IPR warmed up and running down the road?

Also possible those codes could be a harness not fully seated in the FICM

Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 AM
landgreen
Freshman User
I believe ipr and icp readings were ok going down road but will recheck. Will check ficm harness. And I got a fuel pressure gauge so will check that this afternoon.

Thanks for responses so far. I am taking it in next tuesday for repair but prefer to figure this out myself!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:54 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2004... old pump
hot idle 650rpm, IPR 25% is high, means it's starving for pressure. The IPR is giving more than it should to keep it at 650rpm.

Clean the MAP/EBP sensor, may be why the CAC tubes blew off. Could also be a sticking turbo.. Clean the boots with brake cleaner, clean the tubes and then spray them with hairspray and quickly put them back together.

Watch the IPR% as it starts to die while running down the road. It should show a spike in IPR% and a lowering ICP and then it will stumble, seem gutless.

Pumps dying

were the codes high or low injector or contribution?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are the injector codes that you were seeing? Any recent high-pressure oil system work? How many miles are on the alternator? The upshot is that your issues could because biologic side issue on the FICM.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 AM
landgreen
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
2004... old pump
hot idle 650rpm, IPR 25% is high, means it's starving for pressure. The IPR is giving more than it should to keep it at 650rpm.

Clean the MAP/EBP sensor, may be why the CAC tubes blew off. Could also be a sticking turbo.. Clean the boots with brake cleaner, clean the tubes and then spray them with hairspray and quickly put them back together.

Watch the IPR% as it starts to die while running down the road. It should show a spike in IPR% and a lowering ICP and then it will stumble, seem gutless.

Pumps dying

were the codes high or low injector or contribution?
I will check all of that this afternoon. Thanks!

Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
What are the injector codes that you were seeing? Any recent high-pressure oil system work? How many miles are on the alternator? The upshot is that your issues could because biologic side issue on the FICM.
No work on HPOP system. There is about 5-7k on alternator.

Also I should note that my employee was driving it when it died the first time. Just shut of going down road. Tried starting it. No go. Assumed fuel gelled. 10 degrees out. When we finally got around to working on it later the batteries were low. Barely cranked then just click click. Used jump pack but not enough. We pulled batteries and recharged overnight at my shop.

So possible damage to FICM because of low voltage? I plan on working on it later and will report back.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:02 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by landgreen
I will check all of that this afternoon. Thanks!

No work on HPOP system. There is about 5-7k on alternator.

Also I should note that my employee was driving it when it died the first time. Just shut of going down road. Tried starting it. No go. Assumed fuel gelled. 10 degrees out. When we finally got around to working on it later the batteries were low. Barely cranked then just click click. Used jump pack but not enough. We pulled batteries and recharged overnight at my shop.

So possible damage to FICM because of low voltage? I plan on working on it later and will report back.
I'd pull the alternator and have it bench tested to ensure that the voltage regulator, specifically, is good. Low-voltage kills these units pretty readily, yes, but low-voltage commonly results in lower than awesome FICM main power. Erratic voltage, caused by a bad voltage regulator most commonly, results in damage to the logic side of the FICM.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:23 PM
landgreen
Freshman User
Just finished running it again and collecting some info.

There were two injector codes left from the last time it ran:
P0263 Cyl 1 injector circuit contribution/balance fault
P0269 Cyl 3 injector circuit contribution/balance fault

Also P0113 intake temp circuit high input

I hooked up fuel pressure gauge and it read 78-80 psi KOEO

Went to start and the batteries were low. Couldnt crank. I may have left something on and it drained past couple days. Not sure. Jumped it with other truck. Charging system seemed fine. Once started truck idled just fine.

At cold idle:
ICP started at around 1200psi and slowly dropped to 1100 as it idled.
IPR % was at 31-33% then slowly dropped to the high twenties.
Fuel pressure remained at 78-80

Driving down the road under load
ICP Around 2000 psi
IPR 50%
Fuel pressure 78-80

We didnt get far down the road. As it ran it started to act up and slowly die as usual. ICP remained around 2000 psi and IPR was at around 50% as the engine shut down completely. We let it sit 5min then tried starting. It fired up and we were able to run it back to shop which was about 300 yards away. It was sputtering but made it back

Theses numbers are while running rough idling back at shop coolant temp of 185 to 190 idling
ICP 640 psi
IPR 24%

I have not cleaned the map or ebp sensor yet.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:34 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pull the IPR and clean the screen. Then verify your FICM is plugged in correctly. Make sure all three plugs are snapped into there sockets.

Once the trucks at full temp, give me ICPV and IPR for idle and 2500rpm while in park.

ICP at 640 is good, IPR at 24% is good, fuel at 78 is high. IPR is a little high, why I want 2500rpm in park. That fuel pressure is high, almost to high. Truck tuned? Aftermarket fuel pump or fuel system? Regulated return?

Old 12-24-2016, 05:02 PM
landgreen
Freshman User
No tune. Never touched pump. Blue spring was installed years ago.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:14 AM
landgreen
Freshman User
Did not want to start this morning. Was firing a little. Started wiggling ficm plugs, harness and any other harness I could grab. Tried agsin and it started up. Its headed to repair shop this morning. Hoping its jist some wiring...

Quick Reply: 04 6.0 will run great then eventually die