6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Another 6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles

Old 12-17-2016, 06:19 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another 6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles

Hi guys, upgrading from a 7.3 with 325k miles on it.

I found a 2009 F450 with 85k miles on it. It has been owned twice, and is at a dealer.

Here is what I know about it. First owner bought it in 2009, sold it in 2015, put 28k miles on it. 2nd owner bought it in 2015, just traded it, put 50k miles (all highway) on it. It has had a factory warranty (extended) until the last owner traded it in.

I had the dealer pull me an oasis report, the only things that came up were a speed sensor at 14k miles, and the fuel pump stopped working at 78k miles.

Truck just went through the shop at the dealer, the replaced the gasket between the transmission and transfer case, and the motor that folds and extends the passenger mirror.

Truck runs fine, looks fine, etc. I've read the horror stories about 6.4s, but I cant afford a 6.7 in a 450. I do a lot of heavy trailer pulling, hence the 450.

From what I can tell, the egr and dpf haven't been touched. Looks like the previous owners ran it stock. Have a call into the last owner to verify.

Went and started it today at the dealer, it was 5 degrees, and the truck hadn't ran today. Started fine. Drove fine.

What else should i be looking for or asking the dealer, and previous owner? Im trying to find the service interval for the last owner.

Any advice is most appreciated. I love my 7.3, but its worn out.

Thank you!!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:06 PM
brada
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles

Whitesdford. If you can contact the owner, ask for service records, fuel, oil, anitfreeze, changes etc. Ask how many miles between regens, if it is 300+ miles that is better. Look at the Antifreeze tank, does it look like it has over flowed? Just looking for any sign of head gasket issues. Ask if the motor every made oil, meaning it was adding fuel to the engine. I believe there are good 6.4's and bad ones.
If it made oil, had short regens, stay away from it. For some reason, some of them had the making oil problem and some did not.
Did the dealer do any kind of compression or engine analysis? Did the dealer look at the radiator for leaking? Has it been replaced?
It looks like you have emissions testing in CO. If you buy it, At the very least, I would put on an air dog or Fass filtration system to keep the fuel system clean. The factory one is not very good. That is all I have. Maybe Speakerfritz and chime in? Brad

Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
I did talk to the owner. He stated he changed the oil every 4-5 thousand miles. Used ford filters for oil and fuel. Said the only reason he traded it in was ford gave him a steal of deal on a 16. Said he had no plans on trading it in.

Has brand new tires a month ago. He didnt know exactly how many miles between regens, but maybe once a tank if that????

No issues with the radiator ever.

Dealer didnt do any compression or engine analysis that I know of.

Thats all i know of right now. Looks okay maybe?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like I would pick that melon!!!!

Denny

Don't be afraid of the 6.4. Just treat it right.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 PM
brada
5th Wheeling
6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles

I also, would grab it. But, I would put on the bully dog or fass. That is one BIG weak link.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:39 PM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can, I'd delete it as well. The only significant problem I've had with my truck, and I'm the second owner is the DPF and DPF sensors. That problem is now gone, and yes, it did help the MPG.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:06 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 971 Likes on 747 Posts
sounds like the condition of my f-450 when I bought it last year with 85k miles. upon buying it I changed all fluids and all filters. drove it 3K miles and a rocker fell. when I pulled both rocker sets there were at least 4 rockers with worn to the metal tips aside from the one that fell that had not tip. the other intake rockers were worn, but not to the bone yet. exhaust rockers were about mid way. 12 of the 16 push rods were bent at least 1/16th defelction.

other than that I had a clogged DPF wrench light on one occasion and reduced power wrench on another occasion.

all in all in the few months I was able to drive it, its left me stranded at least 4 times .

while I was doing the rockers was thinking of replacing injectors, glow plugs. my real concern are the lifters which typically need an engine pull. new injectors can come out via the top with the heads off but work injectors are usally two mushroomed.

then theres the water pump calviation problem.

watch for metal flakes in the filters which means the HPFP is failing....another expensive repair.

monitor oil levels, they will rise due to either leaking fuel system componets which will leak into the oil system or due to regen blow by.

I think these trucks are great if they are under warranty and ford steps in to clean up there mess.

I have noticed...it seems like more 2008's have problems than later years...

Im still debating if I am going to keep this truck or throw it over the fence. definetly not taking it out of state until the gremlins are under control.

if I had to do it all over, I'd buy a new one and just settle for less bells and whisltes and keep the extended warranty on it as long as I could.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 AM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
if I had to do it all over, I'd buy a new one and just settle for less bells and whisltes and keep the extended warranty on it as long as I could.
I thought about new when I bought mine, but I would have paid 30K more for a new F450 similarly loaded. I could have picked up a F350 for 20K more. Factor in what interest on 30K is as well as higher insurance and the number climbs higher, and I'd still be at a no warranty position just 3 years later.

Yes, I thought about buying an extended warranty as well since my truck was under 100K when I bought it but that's betting on a fail. The DPF work on mine was over a $1000 though.

Bottom line, 30K will also do a lot of engine work or buy a lot of fuel. I'm 2 years in and still way ahead.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM
brada
5th Wheeling

Whitesdford, how many hours are on the engine? Forgot to ask.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Great advice guys.

I spent some more time talking to the previous owner, he used only ford filters for oil and fuel. More times than not oil was changed closer to 4k than 5k. Never noticed oil level rising, or lowering between oil changes.

My plan now is to start negotiating on the truck.

Upgrades will happen immediately if I purchase it.

EGR and DPF delete, mini maxx programmer, turbo back 5 inch exhaust.

Fuel system upgrade also.

Ill be adding a coolant filter, and changing all the coolant also.

Anything else I should do right away? Im thinking about doing a full egr delete instead of the plates. Any advice one versus the other?

Old 12-18-2016, 11:21 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Originally Posted by brada
Whitesdford, how many hours are on the engine? Forgot to ask.

Ill ask the dealer to go pull the hours on the engine. Good call! thank you!

Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM
brada
5th Wheeling

Perhaps a cold air intake with the CCV reroute, keep crap out of the engine. BUT, the Cold air intake definitely adds a burble on idle and acceleration. I just did all of those mods to mine. Lot O' work.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Originally Posted by brada
Perhaps a cold air intake with the CCV reroute, keep crap out of the engine. BUT, the Cold air intake definitely adds a burble on idle and acceleration. I just did all of those mods to mine. Lot O' work.
Okay, ill look at that too. I did tons of mods to my 7.3 over the years. So no big deal on work. But dang that 6.4 is packed in there! I thought my 7.3 was bad....sheesh

What on the 6.4 fuel system makes it an issue? I put an inline filter on my 7.3 years ago, and did an in fuel tank mod.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM
brada
5th Wheeling

I have seen numerous situations where a little water worked it's way into the fuel system, i creates rust. Then takes out the high pressure pump or causes it to shed metal particles. Then the particles can get into the injectors, creating an open or lousy fuel mist. This can cause piston failures. AND, the water light never comes on. So, the Air dog or FASS have a way superior water capture, with a drain on the filter that is not mickey mouse. The cost of repair the fuel system can be between 4K and $8K.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 971 Likes on 747 Posts
if you are going to get an extended warranty...proceed with cuation on the mods.

I think 85K miles will be right on the edge of eligibility to buy an extended.

and then it has to pass a dealer inspection.

if the extended is not a big deal, would +1 on the coolant filter and add an air dog fuel filter and a oil bypass filter.

if you can run b5 3 sesons out of the year that would take care of fuel lube issues related to low sulphur fuel. opti-lube during the winter. or if you cant get b5, opti lube year round and they sell that stuff with seasonal blends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another 6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles