Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROAAAAARRRRR!!!!! (Front end is yelling at me)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
ROAAAAARRRRR!!!!! (Front end is yelling at me)

So I think I'm having some issues with my front end. The passenger side seems to be roaring at certain speeds (25-40 and 80+). It's getting cold now and I still don't have much in the way of tools since the company that cleaned out our house after the fire ran off with most of them so I'm more than likely going to have to get it done at the dealership. What are your thoughts guys? Is it as easy of a job as I remember or am I forgetting something? What should I expect to pay?

I don't really know how to explain it really. It sounds like there is a motorcycle passing me or like I have a mud tire on that wheel is all. It's normal at the other speeds, but once I hit the "sweet spot" it just drones really bad and I can't even hear the motor. The only way I know to describe it is as a roar, it's really weird.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could your description of the symptoms be any more vague? Can you add some more details to help us get a better understanding of what it may be?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
I wish I could explain it better, when I was typing it up I realized how bad it sounded but I was hoping it was an obvious fix is all. I was assuming bearings but who knows.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Romanova
Senior User
A front hub (4WD right?) doesn't look terribly expensive (RockAuto), even for a Motorcraft one. Hate to make suggestions and have you throw parts at it and that not be it.

With limited tools, I would think any job would suck, though you can always use it as an excuse to buy new tools to tackle the job. What you spend on tools may be less than what you would spend on labor... though do you want to be wrenching in VA right now? I don't really want to turn wrenches on my Ex and it's 50 degrees outside in Houston right now...

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
This is what I've been looking at:

Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Romanova
Senior User
I would go with the Timken one if it were me... great quality at a healthy savings.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Romanova
I would go with the Timken one if it were me... great quality at a healthy savings.
Honestly I was hoping you would say either that or the Moog I'll go ahead and order it tonight then! It's not a bad job is it?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Honestly I was hoping you would say either that or the Moog I'll go ahead and order it tonight then! It's not a bad job is it?
Not mine, but shows most of what is involved (don't let the title fool you);
2004 F250 Ball Joint Replacement

If one side is failing, I would assume that the other side is not far behind. Doesn't look like too bad of a job, though working in the cold or with rusty stuff could make it worse. Hopefully someone else that has done this job will chime in on what else to look for 'while you are in there'.

Sometimes (all the time) I'm glad I have a 2WD Ex... bearing replacement is a piece of cake. A cheap piece of cake at that.

GL.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:58 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is cake. Won't take you long at all. I'd be willing to bet you can get it done in a few hours at most. follow the same steps for doing ball joints, and just stop when you get to the hub.
Pretty much remove wheel and tire, brake caliper and bracket, rotor, 4x4 hub, and the bolts in the back of the hub and you're done.
If you haven't already, check the seals in they're and if needed replace them while you have it apart
I had it down to this in about 30-45 minutes

Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the Timken hubs to the front and was impressed.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:36 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
I can get it down to the hub in about 20 minutes. It's getting the hub off that gets me. What part number should I go with, just to make sure I am getting exactly the right thing? Is it the SP580205? Should I go ahead and get 2 and do both sides?

Old 12-11-2016, 02:25 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can get it down to the hub in about 20 minutes. It's getting the hub off that gets me. What part number should I go with, just to make sure I am getting exactly the right thing? Is it the SP580205? Should I go ahead and get 2 and do both sides?
I would go ahead and do both because it's like buying 3 new tires and using the spare. By buying new hubs up front, you now know where you stand. That's the same part number I used, but just know that your threads in fine.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:40 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Jon, replace both hubs at the same time. I had the same roar you are describing on the driver's side. I replaced it, and within weeks had the passenger side going out. I used Timkin and have not had problems with them since installing 3+ years ago. As a side note, I found a lot of my steering slop/wander was in those worn hub bearings.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Damn, I do have fine threads... glad you reminded me about that! It's so hard to spend $300+ on these when eBay has cheapo ones for $50 each... I don't trust them but danm it's hard to resist

Old 12-11-2016, 03:10 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Ordered! Ended up going through Summit Racing instead. Their list price is about $75 more each but they price match plus they do free shipping and I had a credit of $10.20 so it saved me a bit

Quick Reply: ROAAAAARRRRR!!!!! (Front end is yelling at me)