6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What's that smell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:48 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's that smell?

So after every ride, I get out of my 2011 6.7 and there's a smell - I'm thinking coolant but I can't see ANY indication of a leak. The level stays true week-after-week. I haven't examined the radiators closely yet. This started about 4 months ago ... never had this smell until then. Fuel? NO indications of that. Maybe exhaust ? Smells a bit like that maybe, but it's strongest near the driver door / front grill. Exhaust at pipe doesn't smell the same. 119,000 miles and the truck runs like a top! 95% highway miles - zero issues. I was consistently running the Ford fuel additive but have slacked off slightly only recently. Any ideas ????? Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Old 12-10-2016, 06:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
have you checked the valley of the motor for coolant leak at the turbo?

How is the secondary coolant system?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:45 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's no mistaking the smell of hot coolant. These engines frequently leak at the bottom corners of the main radiator, there's a coolant smell if the water pump is failing, and under the turbo like senix said. It takes months for the level to drop enough to tell, so if you smell coolant, it's somewhere.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I see you said smell, but you haven't described it?

I get weird smells after driving too. I smelled maple syrup once and thought it could be a coolant leak, but like you no level drop and I can't find fluid anywhere.

Most of the time it's some sort of diesel mixed with DEF smell. And of course you'll get a smell if you went through a regen.

If I had a consistent maple syrup/coolant type smell, I'd be hunting for the leak. Of course nail down that it isn't the car you park next to leaking coolant either.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine does that too, always smell it, level never changes. Thought at first original owner had a leak and I was smelling leftovers, but had it a year now so I doubt that.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 AM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have only "generally" looked for leaks ... nothing on the ground, no wet surfaces from where I can see, but as suggested by you, I am going to investigate further today looking at spots I haven't looked at before. Smells more like coolant to me, but not sure. Definitely not maple syrup, but now I'm hungry thanks to Dakster . For the record, I never smell anything or hear anything during regen, but I am typically running up-and-down the highway during regen. I've only started smelling it in the last 3-4 months ... before that I really never had any odd smells of concern. I will report back - thanks again for your help!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:32 AM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
You guys called it - small leak at the line running to the turbo. Didn't even know to look there. Don't you know, someone made a detailed video of this and posted it online. I ordered the parts $26 and now just have to find the time to do it. Looks time consuming and tight but simple in nature. Let me know how many of you will be coming over to assist with the repair - I will provide the cold beer. Thank you all again very much for the advice -

Old 12-11-2016, 11:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Are you out of the 5/100K miles? This would be warranty work.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM
PasoF450
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MammaJammaTX
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I have only "generally" looked for leaks ... nothing on the ground, no wet surfaces from where I can see, but as suggested by you, I am going to investigate further today looking at spots I haven't looked at before. Smells more like coolant to me, but not sure. Definitely not maple syrup, but now I'm hungry thanks to Dakster . For the record, I never smell anything or hear anything during regen, but I am typically running up-and-down the highway during regen. I've only started smelling it in the last 3-4 months ... before that I really never had any odd smells of concern. I will report back - thanks again for your help!
I had a smell that was similiar but it was my AC condenser on it's way out. Slight smell of Freon.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 AM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
Yes sir - out of warranty. Never found any Ford techs I trusted - they regularly erred when working on my truck and displayed less knowledge than I had. I don't mind doing the work.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad you found it and it's cheap - (and at the very least it's cheap compared to a new radiator). While I won't say it's a common problem, it is a known problem and you are not the only person to have.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thick this is might be the answer

I occasionally smelled coolant on my 2012 and now also on the 2015 but have never had a coolant leak. I think it occurs when the engine comes up to normal temps and the coolant rises in the degas bottles it vents out the vapor which is sucked into the cab air intake on the cowl passenger side. It's always just a brief time that I smell it and never again once the engine is hot.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:18 PM
slorider
Senior User
Originally Posted by MammaJammaTX
You guys called it - small leak at the line running to the turbo. Didn't even know to look there. Don't you know, someone made a detailed video of this and posted it online. I ordered the parts $26 and now just have to find the time to do it. Looks time consuming and tight but simple in nature. Let me know how many of you will be coming over to assist with the repair - I will provide the cold beer. Thank you all again very much for the advice -
Do yourself a favor and order the parts for the turbo oil line as well (exact same quick connector which is whats leaking). Dealer replaced the oil line & connector on my 2011 under warranty about 6 months ago and the very next day the coolant leak started. Same part number for the quick connector so you would think it would be covered, nope, dealer said cooling system not covered under the 5 year 100k and charged me $125 diagnostic fee. I replaced the coolant line and fitting myself, which wasn't very difficult, just use a small screwdriver or pick to remove the quick connector clip.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:24 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
I was unable to confirm again the leak in the small feed tube for the turbo (after I purchased the parts). Anyways, searching again I found the intercooler bottom area shows evidence of leaking. Remove the air hose and definitely evidence of a leak. I assume there is NOT supposed to be any fluid in this air hose ?!?!?!?!
Any history or assistance with these intercoolers letting-go and leaking? I am now going through a small amount of fluid ... too much to be nothing. The coolant hoses lead to and from the intercooler and it is wet .... HAS TO BE coolant, right? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:44 PM
MammaJammaTX
Junior User
Charge Air Cooler? Same thing maybe .....

Quick Reply: What's that smell?