Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up a 2000 XLT on Friday(12/9/16)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM
steve2z
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up a 2000 XLT on Friday(12/9/16)

I'm getting a 2000 Excursion xlt 4wd V10 this friday. Went looking yesterday for a cheap 4wd truck, since we got our first snow, and my little car sucks... Found this on craigslist 2 hours away.

Talked to the guy tonight, and busting a move on research today and tomorrow. Needs a new battery, I'll see what you guys say is tops(I like interstate, but we'll see) and hasn't been on the road since March. Looks like some rust around the rocker panels- not too bad.

Mainly using it for bad weather family mover(4 kids, myself and wife), toy hauler and a little off roading maybe...

Thank you for an excellent forum- I'll enjoy the reading up tonight on the new beast.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Look it over REALLY good for rust. I see you are in NY...

Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 AM
steve2z
Junior User
Rust

She has a little- rocker panels mostly. For the price, she'll work out for what I need this winter, and in the spring, I can pretty her up. Picking up a cheap 65 series walmart value power battery to take with me. Not a done deal yet, but if I buy her, we'll put in a megatron battery- no sense in shelling out the 100+ dollars extra for the moment. Other than rust, which she has a little, anything that if I see it I should walk away from? We're talking I'm spending 2k on this truck... so unless she won't run, its probably driving home under her own power

Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Just remember that it will do great in the snow, but not on ice.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I can't think of anything I would walk away from on a $2k Excursion. The parts on it are worth far more than that to the people on this forum.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
You could get $2k parting out the glass alone. Great score! Get er' goin'. Congrats!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You scored! It is funny how it's so easy to buy whole vehicle for parts now, that "cash for clunkers" is a distant memory!
I felt as excited buying a '05 F250 w/6L 4x4 for $2650 in July. Of course, mine doesn't start! Updated In dash Cupholder for my 1999 F350, and 4x4 parts for my Ex, priceless!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:39 PM
steve2z
Junior User
We had to postpone the pickup- Syracuse got some snow, and my wife didn't feel good driving back in our car alone. He's out of town next week, but I'll get it soon enough! And it gives me some time to look at parts to make it a really amazing rig. Sounds like a hellwig sway bar is a great start!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't listen to all these spoiled guys from the south talking 'bout "watch out for rust" they wouldn't know rust from RUST

Seriously though, I live in the north where we salt roads and rust WILL be there on any truck that sees winter weather.

I have a pretty rusty ex and seeing as it's a full frame vehicle rusty rockers aren't that big of a deal compared to a unibody vehicle

Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Rather than start with the Hellwig, address the fluid changes and brakes. Next, spark plugs, boots, & any bad Cops. Great Christmas gift for the family!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:08 PM
steve2z
Junior User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Rather than start with the Hellwig, address the fluid changes and brakes. Next, spark plugs, boots, & any bad Cops. Great Christmas gift for the family!
I will get right on those one I get her home. I've read some of the discussions on the v10 spark plug issues and will inspect those and torque them correctly. Also looking into ss brake lines, as I've had Rangers in the past that rusted through. Never good!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 PM
steve2z
Junior User
Well, she is home. Today, no start, battery at 60 percent. On the way home, my dad remarked the brake, tail, and turn signals were very dim. She did run well home yesterday- time to chase electrical gremlins. She's on a charger tonight with the battery disconnected. Also, cruise doesn't work. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, so let the search begin.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:16 AM
steve2z
Junior User
Good news/bad news

So yesterday it sat. 20 degrees or something- last night, got home wouldn't start. Today same thing after charging, just wouldn't start- shame on me for buying a cheap mart battery that the CCA probably is close to nothing at sub freezing. I will fix that- I sense a trip to napa in my future. Good news(maybe) checked out the air filter and fluids- air filter is a K&N- of course its too cold to give it a good scrubbing(it needs it) and reoil- i do have the kit. I may replace that with a Napa gold anyway. The drivers side front locker works, the passenger side, not so much, but it looks like it is stuck on auto. Warn locking hubs going in the budget to fix that too. I should probably start my own rebuild project thread too!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 AM
brandon_0384
Junior User
I would look into a good quality battery if you can. I like Northstar batteries but I have Optima Blue Tops right now because I got a killer deal on 4 of them. Once it is running remove the positive cable to see if the alternator is charging. If it dies then you know its toast. Also clean the terminals and check the ground wires. I had to replace my ground wires due to poor connections that were killing my batteries. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 AM
steve2z
Junior User
Thanks!

Originally Posted by brandon_0384
I would look into a good quality battery if you can. I like Northstar batteries but I have Optima Blue Tops right now because I got a killer deal on 4 of them. Once it is running remove the positive cable to see if the alternator is charging. If it dies then you know its toast. Also clean the terminals and check the ground wires. I had to replace my ground wires due to poor connections that were killing my batteries. Good luck!
I spent last night looking up cable upgrades due to the ground... I will check out some batteries today, NAPA legend and Interstate Megatron were on my list, but I will look into the two you suggested.

Quick Reply: Picking up a 2000 XLT on Friday(12/9/16)