Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tugly's asking a favor

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Tugly's asking a favor

I just got new seals on the front axles - I had developed a vacuum leak and it wasn't the hubs. While watching some Netflix, I turned to my wife and said "Well... the unstoppable Stink is ready for the mountain passes."

Without so much as a heartbeat between comment and reply, she chimed in with "We can't call Stinky that - that's my name for you."

This is my way of saying how unflappable my wife has been in support of this hobby of mine. "Oh... you're going to help a member with his truck in Leavenworth? Let me know how it goes." Or... "Stinky needs cups? I'll bring the coffee out and visit with you." She has even provided some great quotes here for the forum to enjoy. It's now my turn to bring my hobby to her for support.

In recent months, I've been logging on as much from waiting rooms as I have been from home. The mountain pass thing became far more critical in our lives, because there is very limited medical technology in my home berg. So... we must traverse sometimes treacherous roads to get to Seattle, where the medical technology is among the most advanced in the world.

Hi-res 3D imaging to create a 3D map for a biopsy robot? What the hell? Well - all these weird tests and procedures have given us definitive answers to very hard questions. I like answers, even if the answers aren't the kind I want. The big C has entered our lives.

Now... this is where I specify how you can help. In the past, I never really knew how to respond when a member logged in with something like this. Now that I'm in those moccasins - I can share the appropriate response with everyone: This is not a situation that calls for "ohs" and "awwhs". This calls for "Rah rah sis boom bah!" This is not a dirge, this is a fight song.

My wife (Linda) has followed my adventures here, knows many of the names and the vendors, has personally met several of you, and supports my support of the forum. I will make sure she has access to your cheers and good wishes in this thread. This collection of fine folk is one of many weapons of hope in my arsenal - and you can damn well bet I'm gunna grab everything I got to support the one that is so supportive of me.

She goes under the knife this week, and there will be at least a couple of months of recovery before we even visit the notion of returning to work. The prognosis at this point is very good, and there is no chemo on the menu at this juncture - so we may have dodged that freight train. All she needs is more positive reinforcement, because it does make a difference. She will be reading this thread.

Thank you for taking the time to read this all the way through - I know how visiting our mortality can be an unpleasant read.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The prognosis being good is great to hear, good luck and power through it.

But...you indicated that you're asking for a favor? I can be a little (lot) slow at times and I'm not seeing what it is, unless you are asking for support and positive thoughts, I think I got that out of it.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Tug, sorry to read this man. Hope Mrs Tugly recovers quickly and with minimal hurdles.. Stay strong and spirit up dude.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
..But...you indicated that you're asking for a favor? ...I'm not seeing what it is, unless you are asking for support and positive thoughts, I think I got that out of it.
Positive thoughts I can pass on. I may need to tweak the post.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Positive thoughts I can pass on. I may need to tweak the post.
Got it, early diagnosis is key and it looks like you've got that.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rooting for you and the little lady!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:48 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a beautiful family picture! You know you're married to a Saint, don't you?!!! I mean you have to be! And thankfully your daughter inherited her looks from her mother! Anyhow, I really hope things go well for your wife. That disease has affected probably everyone here one way or another. Either they have battled it themselves, or family or friends have. One of my wifes best friends was diagnosed with terminal cancer about 15 years ago. Was given 3 years to live. Well, she's cancer free today, and lives a completely normal life. I will say this, she is very spiritual, and has made major changes in her life. Her husband (he's actually a lot like you) is very supportive in all she does. They have a garden, and they raise a bunch of tomatoes. Apparently there's something in tomatoes that fights cancer. At one time, I think they had 30 different types growing. Along with different hot peppers. I don't know why I went off on that tangent! Anyhow, I hope and pray for the best for your wife and family.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Rich,

Having swam in waters similar to those of your wife and having some knowledge far removed from that of an RV technician, I would offer you both these thoughts, encouragements, and my prayers.

First of all, cancer is scary as Hell and each year I go back in for evaluation I sweat bullets. Even if your wife is in very good shape, she should expect the recovery time to be substantial and worry about cancer returning to fade only gradually.

From your post, it sounds to me like you and your wife have chosen care in a specialty center or medical center. That is an excellent choice and I strongly support it. It will be stressful for the both of you being further from home, but in situations such as this you want someone wielding a knife who has done it many time before. Good job there!

This is a time when you both need support and I would encourage you to accept it. Many physicians see themselves more as skilled technicians rather than nuturers so seeking it in this forum and any place else it might be available should be in your game plan. I know this would be a whole easier for both of you if it was a turbo or set of injectors, but today you need a different skill set.

Do not forget that regardless of the initial outcome of the pending surgery, research is moving so fast, stuff we can't cure today is often cured with ease tomorrow.

So I will remember Linda in my prayers and perhaps if her prayer list is short, she can remember me in hers. Now kick Cancer's ***!!

If there is anything I can do to help, P.M. me for a phone #.

Steve

Old 12-04-2016, 08:58 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The favor has my support.

My BIL got the C diagnosis in the late 80's, and went to a specialty hospital in Texas for treatment.
He is with us (C free) and thriving today.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Rich, as I am sure you are aware life is about how we get along through the good times and the rough times. It is about the journey and not the destination, such is a lot of our adventures even here when dealing with things as trivial as our trucks.

Linda seems to be a very strong willed person and even stronger to have the support of you and your family.

Being unwell is part of life, just like falling down from time to time. What defines who we are is how we recover or pick ourselves up from these difficult times. We all need a bit of help, even if we are stubborn and refuse to ask for it. It is not shameful, it is not weakness, it is a sign of strength and confidence having the capability to recognize when you or your family needs a lending hand.

I know I am in GA, but if there is anything I can do to help out, even if it is a phone call to someone for you or Linda, do not hesitate to ask via PM.

I have learned quite a bit from you and your experiences and always appreciate your words (and the words from Linda standing over your shoulder) be it in a technical nature or not.

Best wishes to you, Linda and your family.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Rich/Linda,

I'm certain everyone in this forum and anyone, be it family, friends or coworkers are riding shotgun on this.

I'm a firm believer in Karma. It goes both ways. For those that deserve the best in life and have earned repayment and fulfillment, the reward will be awarded. You, your spouse and family are among those who can expect a positive outcome to any life crisis.

Simply said, Good people receive great blessings.

Highest regards to you and yours !!

Denny

Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear your sad news brother, and I feel for you and your family.

From the little I know about Linda through your mentionings on this site, it seems she is a very positive and strong willed lady, I am more than sure she will have this thing licked...

It sounds like you are in the right area to get her any help and the best help for whatever she may need, which is a huge plus!

Concentrate on her, your adorable kids and be there for her, whatever the need. We will all be here discussing which is the best chip and what brake pads are the best when you have the time in your life to come back and enlighten us with your knowledge and experience, and make us laugh with your wit!

Nothing but good vibes headed y'alls way, and if you need anything at all, reach out to the brotherhood, you know we will be here for you in whatever capacity we are able........

Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rich,

Words are never sufficient in a time like this and especially in a forum. Best wishes, prayers, and hoping you both can experience or find moments of peace during this journey. She is going through a tough physical and emotional time as you know; however, you are experiencing a tough emotional time as well that can result in physical manifestations for you. So, take care of yourself too so that you can better care for her.

If time permits, get a second opinion if you haven't already. DN29626 already mentioned MD Anderson. Most would say they are the best on this side of the pond. They extended my moms life by 31 yrs back in the 70's and she was a 1 in a million based on type/rarity. Sounds like it is early stage which is a small blessing behind the huge curse.

I share that because as RVtech pointed out, there have been and continue to be huge advances which offer hope when it seems there is little and it today's answers buy time at a minimum.

My wife and I began this journey in May of last year when she was diagnosed with Stage 3b breast cancer and it continues. After some dismal sounding treatment options in Podunk Asheville, we set sail for some of the heavy hitters up north. That has made a huge difference in prognosis. Standard of Care is not apples to apples everywhere. Sounds like you two have made some excellent decisions so keep up the good work and the faith.

PM me if you would like to talk.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery .
God bless.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tug, Thoughts and prayers. If you need anything or help with anything let me know. I am fairly close to you and can help. Thinking of you guys always.

Dan

Quick Reply: Tugly's asking a favor