6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

FRONT BRAKE DRIVERS SIDE OUCH OUCH OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
FRONT BRAKE DRIVERS SIDE OUCH OUCH OUCH

Anybody want to tell me what caused this?

Anybody want to tell me if the caliper can be repaired?

Anybody want to tell me if the rotor can be turned? Inner surface is perfect.

just trying to decide if I want to do it or take it to a pro. Thank you fpor your help.

Attached Images     
Old 12-02-2016, 01:32 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I am no mechanic but my guesses.....

Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Anybody want to tell me what caused this?
Prob a stuck caliper
Anybody want to tell me if the caliper can be repaired?
Maybe but they are pretty cheap and I would throw a new one on
Anybody want to tell me if the rotor can be turned? Inner surface is perfect.
Looks like there is still lots of meat to turn but you will have to measure it
just trying to decide if I want to do it or take it to a pro. Thank you fpor your help.
Good luck

Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 906 Likes on 328 Posts
if it were me, I'd put new(reman) caliper, pads, and rotor on. Being as **** as I am, I'd probably do the other side the same way depending on how many miles were on them.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:33 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
if it were me, I'd put new(reman) caliper, pads, and rotor on. Being as **** as I am, I'd probably do the other side the same way depending on how many miles were on them.
Pads come in pairs. I agree on doing both sides. That way you have a good baseline for the front. The brake system should also be flushed every two years since brake fluid is hygroscopic and attracts moisture out of the air.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I have never flushed a brake system on a vehicle with a good brake hydraulic system. Not sure where you are getting the info about flushing a brake system. There is not a scheduled maintenance in the 2015 Super Duty owner's manual nor in the 2015 Ford Workshop DVD.

Unless the brake hydraulic system compromised, there should not be a need to do any type of flush.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:45 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with the brake fluid being flushed, but not every 2 years. never have i flushed brake fluid, and also no sure how it attracts moisture from the air when its a sealed system??? My best guess how this happened was somethings looks to like it was caught between the wheel and the rotor creating heat and seazing the slide pins. but the boots on the caliper are torn probably from the rock or cat stuck in there. Its a dually, so id put oem parts back on if your hauling heavy, not that big box store parts are bad just MHO

Old 12-02-2016, 05:29 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I have never flushed a brake system on a vehicle with a good brake hydraulic system. Not sure where you are getting the info about flushing a brake system. There is not a scheduled maintenance in the 2015 Super Duty owner's manual nor in the 2015 Ford Workshop DVD.

Unless the brake hydraulic system compromised, there should not be a need to do any type of flush.
I just use either gravity if in no hurry or the brake pedal pumping method. Not all manufacturers put it in their manuals. Mercedes does. It's your vehicle but if you don't believe me tell me why the fluid in your reservoir turns brown after a couple of years. I'm not here to debate but to help. No skin off my butt if you don't want to do it. When flushing you wil see the fluid coming out of your caliper turning from brown back to clear. That brown is rust residue from the moisture in the system.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:34 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know about changing the brake fluid that often but, one thing you can do is after a winter is clean those sliders grease them and check those little boots most times the brake caliper hangs causing the damage. I would check all Calpers especially the back learned that the hard way . On an interesting side note on my 2009 when I replace the calipers it was actually cheaper to buy the Ford official then the Napa go figure don't know if that's true anymore that was a few years ago but worth checking into.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:42 PM
tsedgar
Hawkerpilot05
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the greasing of the slider pins. I never had a brake caliper freeze up on me until I bought a Super Duty. It happened twice on my 2005 F250 but I live up in MN with alot of salt. I now grease them once a year. Also. I agree with the brake fluid flush but do it about every 5 years.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 PM
163junk
Senior User
Im with everybody, 2 calipers 2 rotors and new pads, reman calipers should have new sliders and a nice clean bracket. Also check the wire to the abs sensor when you get the rotor off, that brake got hot and may have cooked the wire.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Mike, I had a 1996 F350 and drove the truck for 15 years before selling it. The brake fluid was never flushed nor did it turn brown. It was the same honey color when I sold it as a new can of DOT 3 brake fluid. You can flush yours. In 50 years of working on mine other others vehicles, I have never nor heard any other mechanics flushing the brake fluid.

You go for it if that is your choice. I think many on the forums, this one and others, love to spend other peoples money for them with useless info.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:33 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Some car companies specify brake flush and some don't. IMO, it only matters if you're going to keep your car/truck for a while...over 10 years. I do it every 4 years because I don't like seeing black flakes in my reservoir knowing it feeds a $1000plus ABS unit which helps me stop. Hydroboost gets flushed at the same time, and hoses get changed at 15 years...makes a noticeable change in brake response.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Mike, I had a 1996 F350 and drove the truck for 15 years before selling it. The brake fluid was never flushed nor did it turn brown. It was the same honey color when I sold it as a new can of DOT 3 brake fluid. You can flush yours. In 50 years of working on mine other others vehicles, I have never nor heard any other mechanics flushing the brake fluid.

You go for it if that is your choice. I think many on the forums, this one and others, love to spend other peoples money for them with useless info.
Brake fluid is cheap. Do what you want.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:50 PM
163junk
Senior User
Caliper is toast, so he is at least going to get a front flush anyway. Ive got 24 F450 duallys in a fleet. All of em play in the mud, and calipers get replaced almost every time with new brakes. That's my version of a brake flush. Too many times before, I have had them come back 2 weeks after new pads and rotors with a caliper leak around a piston. Cheap insurance.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 PM
jvgviper
Freshman User
Always grease the slides anywhere the brake pad arms touch metal should be lightly greased or the pads will hang up.

Quick Reply: FRONT BRAKE DRIVERS SIDE OUCH OUCH OUCH