2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F 350 running lights on top

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:40 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
F 350 running lights on top

My F 350 KR did not have the $85 buck running lights on top the cab, heard they can be added, heard they cannot be added for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone added those lights? If so what was entailed, can they be added to a rig with the sun/moon roof setup.

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-29-2016, 08:01 PM
ssoundwave
Senior User
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
On my 2016 platinum I took a peek in the slit from the sun roof and it appeared that the wiring harness for them was there even though that truck didn't have them, my current 17 platinum has them already so I can't answer that question if it's still there but there's a good chance!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Mizzou
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On previous years the wiring was there just needed to be connected to the lights after you attach them. Lots of people used the Greenlee punches to make their holes after carefully making them out. That would be a pucker factor I am not sure I could go through.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 PM
DIDit4DAD
Junior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
My F 350 KR did not have the $85 buck running lights on top the cab, heard they can be added, heard they cannot be added for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone added those lights? If so what was entailed, can they be added to a rig with the sun/moon roof setup.

Thanks in advance...
The truck I'm waiting on doesn't have them and I wanted them. It's a dealer order. I'm having some put on when it arrives mid Dec. I'll let you know how it goes...I'm kinda worried about really, I don't want people F'ing with my new truck but I wanted the cab lights enough to risk it! Price of $350ish. No idea why it wouldn't be ordered for $80. They should come standard on the F250's.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hardest part of a clearance light install is the headliner work. Wires only need about a 1/2" hole. 2 screws from underneath. Lay them out and mark holes with a China Marker or crayon. Drill, set lights on and screw down from underneath. All assuming the wiring harness is there. If not you should be able to tap into the CHMSL wiring, or drop a wire down the front A post and tie into the parking light system.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was debating about adding these to my truck too. I want either these or an LED light bar. The perfect solution would be an led light bar that has marker LEDs built in. I can't find one of those though 😞. I seem to get to a lot of my camp spots late at night and the more light setting up camp, the better.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Hardest part of a clearance light install is the headliner work. Wires only need about a 1/2" hole. 2 screws from underneath. Lay them out and mark holes with a China Marker or crayon. Drill, set lights on and screw down from underneath. All assuming the wiring harness is there. If not you should be able to tap into the CHMSL wiring, or drop a wire down the front A post and tie into the parking light system.
I am just wondering if you could not tie into the backside of the upfitter switches at they are in the headliner???? Yea maybe a bit more trouble to turn them on, but I am not that lazy, yet...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
I'm sure it can be done, the parts are available. Someone previously quoted a number for the parts - couple hundred bucks?

Be very cautious how you approach cutting the holes - this is aluminum and it can wrinkle / bend much more easily than steel. Depends on how much reinforcement there is around it.

Don't wire it to the CHMSL...your roof clearance lamps would only illuminate when you hit the brakes, lol.

Upfitters are a possibility, but if the harness is not there, just run wiring down to the parking light assembly and make it work properly. Although on LED equipped trucks this might be harder because there may not be a direct 12v connection. Not sure how the LEDs work, if they all have their own ECU or centrally wired to one...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm sure it can be done, the parts are available. Someone previously quoted a number for the parts - couple hundred bucks?

Be very cautious how you approach cutting the holes - this is aluminum and it can wrinkle / bend much more easily than steel. Depends on how much reinforcement there is around it.

Don't wire it to the CHMSL...your roof clearance lamps would only illuminate when you hit the brakes, lol.

Upfitters are a possibility, but if the harness is not there, just run wiring down to the parking light assembly and make it work properly. Although on LED equipped trucks this might be harder because there may not be a direct 12v connection. Not sure how the LEDs work, if they all have their own ECU or centrally wired to one...
Are the '17 lights LED's? I have the LED lights on my truck already...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Cf_junkie_
Freshman User

Here are the part numbers along whit how many of each you need. Total on parts is $178 and yes I believe they are led.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:42 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Cf_junkie_

Here are the part numbers along whit how many of each you need. Total on parts is $178 and yes I believe they are led.
Is the lamp(s) LED or conventional? I think (?) the 17's have LED if you have the LED package...

Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Cf_junkie_
Freshman User
Those are the 17 OEM part numbers from ford. I have a platinum coming in where the lights were left off and the dealer is going to install them. So being that its a platinum I assume these are led.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Cf_junkie_
Those are the 17 OEM part numbers from ford. I have a platinum coming in where the lights were left off and the dealer is going to install them. So being that its a platinum I assume these are led.
Got it thanks

Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Yes, the roof clearance lamps are LED on all models, even XL work trucks.

My point was if the harness was not in place, it might be hard to just tap into the parking light circuit on LED-headlight trucks since every single exterior lamp is LED. Not sure if the LEDs receive 12v directly or are wired to an ECU.

Sounds like it is going to work. Great news.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Bassboatman
Junior User
Following....My dealer told me they could not add the cab lights aftermarket on a 17 with a sun roof. I figured they just don't want the liability, but would love to add them...Ford's don't look right without the cab lights.

Quick Reply: F 350 running lights on top