1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shop safety.....a reminder.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:02 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Shop safety.....a reminder.

Just a reminder to wear eye protection, and gloves when cutting and grinding!
Seems like it takes some kind of blood letting or near death experience to remind me to put the safety gear back on. Hindsight being 20/20 and all.....
I've gotten much better about wearing safety glasses, but the gloves can be a PIA sometimes.

Yesterday I was trimming a piece of bar stock in the vice with a cutoff wheel/angle grinder. As I finished the cut, the waste piece was thrown off by the wheel, hitting my finger at a high rate of speed.
After much cussing and a dance of pain, it seems the damage is minor.
Luckily the piece of metal was blunt and not pointed.

Painful reminder to wear my gloves!

Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
After almost losing the sight in my left eye, I have no problem wearing a safety hood. Gloves, however, are another thing. Latex gloves only offer protection from dirt and oil.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Amen to both.

I'm always amazed at the casual attitude toward PPE on many of the automotive 'reality' shows. I've especially noted little protection when welding or plasma cutting. Must make for better TV.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I'm not a fan of glove and have the hardest time remembering to wear them.

I've flash burned my eyes too many times to not wear eye protection when welding. I also wear the safety glasses when cutting and grinding. If I'm going to be doing a lot of grinding I even put in ear plugs

Glad you're OK

Bobby

Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget about a respirator! The grinding dust and off gas can do much worse than a stray piece of metal.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 PM
1950flatbed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, Before firing up the cutting torch or welding, always look for burnables nearby, fuels, and know where the fire extinguisher is

Old 11-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great reminders. I have my 12 year old helping me. So I have to be a good example. He even reminds me if I don't.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:12 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
That's a smart kid there. He's paying attention.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:42 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Good reminder for us Scott, thanks.
Tom

Old 11-28-2016, 05:19 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't forget those trusty old cut up, frayed and holy sweatshirts we all like to wear while working on our projects catch fire really easy. I've caught myself on fire a few times. Using a grinder with a cutoff wheel. Welding in a corner. Yup. Those sweatshirts catch fire.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:38 AM
oneye
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep an open pak of super fine steel wool on a low shelf because I'm always reaching for a pad to polish something or other. Once I was using a hand grinder, totally absorbed in the shaping and not watching where the sparks were going. They should also market that stuff as a professional fire starter.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Seems like I always forget to use a face shield while using my bench grinder. Not hard to remember the gloves but that damn mask is always dirty and I'm just gonna use it for a second. Bad idea

Old 11-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
I was replacing the headlight bulbs on my 56 Fairlane and noticed the stainless ring was looking pretty bad. Was only going to take a minute so no gloves or face shield. I was very careful how I held the ring so it would not catch and polished it without a problem. Walking back to the car I noticed one tiny spot I had missed and returned to touch it up. The second the buffer touched the thin stainless ring it ripped it though my un-gloved hands sent it into my forehead slicing a nice gash as it destroyed the ring. A trip to the ER a few stitches and a new headlight ring and all is well again. Needless to say the buffer and grinder DO NOT get used without eye and hand protection.

Scars are still there 5 years latter.

No scar from this one but it hurt for over a year.

Fortunately I wasn't that good looking before

Old 11-28-2016, 12:12 PM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
I was replacing the headlight bulbs on my 56 Fairlane and noticed the stainless ring was looking pretty bad. Was only going to take a minute so no gloves or face shield. I was very careful how I held the ring so it would not catch and polished it without a problem. Walking back to the car I noticed one tiny spot I had missed and returned to touch it up. The second the buffer touched the thin stainless ring it ripped it though my un-gloved hands sent it into my forehead slicing a nice gash as it destroyed the ring. A trip to the ER a few stitches and a new headlight ring and all is well again. Needless to say the buffer and grinder DO NOT get used without eye and hand protection.

Scars are still there 5 years latter.

No scar from this one but it hurt for over a year.

Fortunately I wasn't that good looking before
Agreed!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:52 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Good stuff. Need these reminders often. I'm pretty careful in my old age, but I can't get past the loss of "feel" with "mechanics gloves" on general work. I always wear leather gloves when working with sheet metal, and holding items on the drill press.

I cringe watching these TV shows where fab people wear only eye protection while placing their Mug in direct line with cutting wheels..... usually without gloves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shop safety.....a reminder.