1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual to Auto Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:48 PM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual to Auto Swap

hey guys looking to buy a 2006 F250 right now and found a good deal on one but it has a zf6 in it. I really want an auto and planning to have a 5r110 built to hold 550-600whp minimum. I am planning to run it off of a PCS transmission controller because it has a cummins in it. Will I need any ford PCM for the tranny if I am using the PCS? Or can the pcs and tranny be stand alone? Anything other than a shifter and trans temp gauge that I need?

Old 11-25-2016, 10:48 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ControlledChaos
Anything other than a shifter and trans temp gauge that I need?
Yes, you need to ship that ZF6 to me.
PM for address.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If this was OBS body style, I could help you a lot more, but I will throw out some things that more knowledge members can elaborate on.

What engine is this truck originally?
Cross member
Flex-plate
Starter
I think transfer case will interchange
Driveshafts
Steering column
Instrument cluster and appropriate wiring
Pedal assemble(to do it right)
Floor tunnel cover
Tranny cooler and lines.

I can't help with the control part of it. Sure it could be done, but most people want to go the other way, and it's a easier swap. I know the auto is stronger, but at least run the zf til it breaks.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
The ZF6 will hold up to anything you can throw at it without dumping countless thousands into a swap and built trans. Your nuts man. If you want an auto truck, buy an auto truck.

Easiest way to do the swap is find someone with a similar truck who wants the opposite, sounds like you got one already.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Yes, you need to ship that ZF6 to me.
PM for address.
lol you need a zf6 that bad?

I like driving a stick and have been able to drive one since I was 8. I live and work on the farm so driving a stick is normal around here. Just not sure how old it would get in town in traffic. Then again I don't do a ton of town driving. The manual is shot right now. Gonna have to tow the truck to my house anyways. How much will it cost to rebuild it and a new clutch to hold 500-550 hp?

the truck was originally an automatic. The current owner dropped a zf6 in it with the cummins.

I plan to pull his motor and sell it and drop my motor in it. Trying to convince myself I want the manual. Is a manual any different to drive on a truck like I want versus a gasser or an old farm truck? Gonna be a stiff clutch? Or hard to shift?

Also with the shifter is it possible to change styles? I am planning a complete interior overhaul and gonna be putting a center console in. Is it possible to put a shift handle in that for the zf6? Kinda like a new challenger or something like that

Old 11-26-2016, 11:02 AM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
Also if I can go the manual route a lot cheaper than a bts 5r110 then I can afford more to go towards my interior and new paint job and front clip conversion

Old 11-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
lol you need a zf6 that bad?

I like driving a stick and have been able to drive one since I was 8. I live and work on the farm so driving a stick is normal around here. Just not sure how old it would get in town in traffic. Then again I don't do a ton of town driving. The manual is shot right now. Gonna have to tow the truck to my house anyways. How much will it cost to rebuild it and a new clutch to hold 500-550 hp?

the truck was originally an automatic. The current owner dropped a zf6 in it with the cummins.

I plan to pull his motor and sell it and drop my motor in it. Trying to convince myself I want the manual. Is a manual any different to drive on a truck like I want versus a gasser or an old farm truck? Gonna be a stiff clutch? Or hard to shift?

Also with the shifter is it possible to change styles? I am planning a complete interior overhaul and gonna be putting a center console in. Is it possible to put a shift handle in that for the zf6? Kinda like a new challenger or something like that
Yes the clutch can be very stiff, depends on the style you choose. Dual mass, solid flywheel, dual disc etc. And the stock clutch hydraulics on the Super Dutys leaves something to be desired. They also updated the clutch fork so make sure you get the newer one.

The shift lever is held on with two bolts. Have not seen anyone selling aftermarket levers. There are a few people doing short throw kits. Have never personally seen a manual truck with buckets and center floor console, but they may exist not sure.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:19 PM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
Originally Posted by Osmond4X4
Yes the clutch can be very stiff, depends on the style you choose. Dual mass, solid flywheel, dual disc etc. And the stock clutch hydraulics on the Super Dutys leaves something to be desired. They also updated the clutch fork so make sure you get the newer one.

The shift lever is held on with two bolts. Have not seen anyone selling aftermarket levers. There are a few people doing short throw kits. Have never personally seen a manual truck with buckets and center floor console, but they may exist not sure.
well I may create the first for a center console with buckets and a manual lol. This zf6 is shot he said only gear that will drive is 4th. Will I have to take it somewhere special to have it rebuilt? And where should I get a clutch? South bend? Is a rebuild something I could do myself in our shop? We have done a few motor swaps and fixing to do a cummins swap. Is a manual a big challenge? Or is it pretty cheap to have done somewhere?

Old 11-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
well I may create the first for a center console with buckets and a manual lol. This zf6 is shot he said only gear that will drive is 4th. Will I have to take it somewhere special to have it rebuilt? And where should I get a clutch? South bend? Is a rebuild something I could do myself in our shop? We have done a few motor swaps and fixing to do a cummins swap. Is a manual a big challenge? Or is it pretty cheap to have done somewhere?
Depeneds on how bad off the ZF6 is. It may need hard parts like gears, it can get expensive quick. eBay has reman ZF6's for $1500 + core. That is generally the cheapest route. Labor at the tranny shop to do just synchros and bearings is $700 if you supply parts which are another $400. They can be done at home but are not super easy you need a press and some specialized pulling equipment. They have a bearing failure issue back when they first came out, a Ford tech I know had been into many of them and tells me without the tools from OTC/Ford its a real bitch.

Clutch unless your heavy hauling Luk kit with solid flywheel gives you the best pedal for daily driving.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:10 PM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
Dang still sounds like a mess. Wish there was a way to see what's wrong with it before pulling it or having a shop open it up. We have a press. If I'm gonna have to spend very much would rather go Automatic. But either way don't wanna create something that's just gonna keep needing fixed. Will a Reman be good running 5-600 cummins hp? Not planning to haul often in it. Gonna be a daily driver and can haul if needed

Old 11-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
Dang still sounds like a mess. Wish there was a way to see what's wrong with it before pulling it or having a shop open it up. We have a press. If I'm gonna have to spend very much would rather go Automatic. But either way don't wanna create something that's just gonna keep needing fixed. Will a Reman be good running 5-600 cummins hp? Not planning to haul often in it. Gonna be a daily driver and can haul if needed
Yes a ZF6 will hold up to the Cummins better than NV5600 or G56 which came factory behind it.

You wont have a problem selling a 4X4 ZF6 working or not if you want to go that route.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Osmond4X4
The ZF6 will hold up to anything you can throw at it without dumping countless thousands into a swap and built trans. Your nuts man. If you want an auto truck, buy an auto truck.

Easiest way to do the swap is find someone with a similar truck who wants the opposite, sounds like you got one already.

Uhhhh...........yes. Exactly

Old 11-26-2016, 04:34 PM
ControlledChaos
Junior User
so no need for different input shafts or output shafts or anything like that? Sounds pretty nice actually. Will the transfer case be good factory or have to be upgraded?

Old 11-26-2016, 04:44 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry bud I was agreeing with the suggestion that you find a whole nother truck and should be plenty of folks willing to trade. My apologies.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Which Cummins are you going with? What are you going to do to it to get 5-600 hp? How are you going to do it and make it a reliable daily driver?

Quick Reply: Manual to Auto Swap