2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate step

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 04:26 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailgate step

my bed step has stopped ejecting when you press the button. It used to pop out enough to get my fingers in to pull it out but now it doesn't move and I have to claw it out. Anyone have a clue what causes it to eject? Before I start taking it apart I wanted to see how far everyone else's pops out of at all.

Ps I think my linex installers may have reinstalled it incorrectly.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:41 PM
shortedout96
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I seen on another post that it isn't actually spring loaded. But not sure still waiting for my truck get here

Old 11-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine failed and is currently in shop for that along with keyless entry failing to work on demand aka only locks or unlocks when feels like it. Along with paint discoloration yellow streaks on hood and bed of truck.

Once I hear back what the problem was I will update you. I am guessing it is the assist arm that ejects the step. That yellow handled part.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just grab the step and pull it out.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:27 PM
ssoundwave
Senior User
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes it's the handle part that is spring loaded, make sure that still is popping back on its own, if it seems fine then look for jamming, and clean it well, if the handle spring is the problem you may have to open it up, it might be jammed or missing

Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 AM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
Any update on this? I just got my truck home yesterday and noticed the same thing. At the LA Autoshows all the truck there poppped out enough where you can easily pull it out. This one you have claw it out with the edge of your fingers.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
I messed with it a little. I noticed when completely shut the left side (handle side) was sticking out a little. Can't figure out why but open and shut using only the left side (not the center) and On closing the step was shut completely with a uniform gap all the way across. And pushing the button ejected it properly. If shut from the center the left side doesn't Close completely. I think this is what doesn't allow the yellow handle to push out the step. More to come when I have some more free time.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just looked at mine and found 2 place where the step rubs on the plastic trim pretty hard, It is leaving a mark in the trim. I filed the flange of the trim and it works a little better, not like I think it should, but it is also easier to pull out when it doesn't spring out.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 AM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
I had the same problem with mine, I push the button and it would not pop out I had to pry it out with my fingers. I fixed mine by removing the top tailgate plate from the back inside, held by small torx screws. You need to take this plate off so you can hold on to another torx nut inside the step to remove a nut. Then with the step pulled out, take off the 2 torx screw and one nut on each side of the step (the nut after loosening you will need to reach back to hold another conical nut so it doesn't keep spinning). You don't need to remove the screws/nut all the way just enough where the two post can move. You can move the post up and down a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch after the screws are lose. I just held the post in the full up position while tightening. It popped out with ease after!

Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
So the button is spring loaded and simply releases a catch on the tailgate. You can see the catch when the step is extended out. However, what actually nudges the step out when you push the button and release the catch are springs inside the tailgate that push on the 'legs' of the step when it is retracted. You can feel the spring pressure as you push the step back in, it exists for maybe the last 2 inches of travel before the step latches in.

If it isn't working, I would suggest lubricating both the catch and the area in the tailgate where the step retracts in to. You might need to remove the tailgate panel to do the job properly.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Originally Posted by tuclai
I had the same problem with mine, I push the button and it would not pop out I had to pry it out with my fingers. I fixed mine by removing the top tailgate plate from the back inside, held by small torx screws. You need to take this plate off so you can hold on to another torx nut inside the step to remove a nut. Then with the step pulled out, take off the 2 torx screw and one nut on each side of the step (the nut after loosening you will need to reach back to hold another conical nut so it doesn't keep spinning). You don't need to remove the screws/nut all the way just enough where the two post can move. You can move the post up and down a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch after the screws are lose. I just held the post in the full up position while tightening. It popped out with ease after!
awesome im going to try this. Makes sense because I can see the rub marks where it looks to be too low. Thank you again for posting this. Reps sent.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Rebelz
Senior User
Any updates to this problem. Mine has not worked right from day one. Once I pry it open the first time it will continue to work right after. But after it sits for a few minutes it quits working again. It does not appear to be hanging up. It feels more like the springs don't have much force to them.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Rebelz
Senior User
Finally fixed mine. We will see how long it works. I removed the springs from the track and stretched them just a little bit. Now it comes out about an 1.5-2" when you push the button.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 AM
celeste646
Freshman User
Does anyone have any photos of what nuts need loosened or what springs are being adjusted. I am now having this issue with my step.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by celeste646
Does anyone have any photos of what nuts need loosened or what springs are being adjusted. I am now having this issue with my step.
Funny you mention this...Mine won't pop out much as of a few days ago as well.

I don't really care...I can dig the step out fairly easily. On the other hand, my truck has a new media bay sliding door on order for that problem, and when the dealer calls me, maybe I'll make them address this issue as well! That's the beauty of warranty!

Quick Reply: Tailgate step