1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 F350 Dump Truck Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F350 Dump Truck Rebuild

Hey there guys, I'm Russ. You may have seen an overload of my posts on the diesel forum as I've been scouring the threads for solutions. This is my story:

As of about 6 months ago, I became the new owner of a 6er 4 door dump truck. It came from up north in Washington with neither the engine running nor the bed dumping. I knew very little about the 6 liter prior to the purchase but figured it would be a nice challenge since I've had experience in aviation, semi, auto, powersport, etc. Experience was definitely helpful, but the amount of info and help I received on fte was encouraging. I'd like to give back by documenting the progress that's been made thus far and the future plans I've got for the truck.

Go ahead and chime in as always. I'm open for ideas and criticism, in part cuz I'd do the same too!

I love photos so I'll post a bunch. If you guys want more I can unleash the rivers, but I'll try to hold a storyline.

Here are links to my troubleshooting and engine rebuild help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1432023-what-am-i-missing-no-start-6-0-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1434864-low-no-compression-all-cylinders.html

After learning that most of the cylinders had no compression, I pulled it to investigate further. All of the troubleshooting previously linked showed good numbers per ipr and sync but a quick compression test immediately determined low numbers.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like you are off to a good start. I really like the idea of pulling the motor rather than lifting the cab.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:49 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Might want to pull that torque converter resting on the seal but you are probably going to change the seal anyway

Old 11-11-2016, 02:00 PM
defekticon
Senior User
is that junctionbox on the left for real!? Is that permenantly mounted in the truck? Looks like it's got some scorch marks on it.

Good luck with the build!

Old 11-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Here was the condition of the engine upon further investigation. Greasy ole thing
Look at the burn marks where the gasket was compromised due to tty bolt failure. Specifically between cylinders.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by defekticon
is that junctionbox on the left for real!? Is that permenantly mounted in the truck? Looks like it's got some scorch marks on it.

Good luck with the build!
Hahaha yeah!! That's where the oil, block and tranny heaters were plugged in, I've since removed the oil pan heater since the install looked unreliable.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
The black material was coked on to each cylinder
Some cylinders showed significant scorching
These are the gaskets with lots of tell tale signs of being compromised.
The rings were coked on causing them to be fully seated and unable to create compression in the cylinder. A few piston rings fell apart during removal of the piston from the engine. Most were stuck so bad that even soaking them for weeks in penetrating oil didn't ease the removal
Tell tales of the head

The lands and rings were found to be completely worn down after a good cleaning in the parts washer.
The garage getting quite full

Old 11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
After a closer look at the block I found one cylinder wall slightly scored, barely feelable, but catches the nail. Upon good cleaning of the heads and pistons I saw the reason. It looked like the catastrophic failure of a broken off glow plug tip had destroyed the valves and seats and the marks on the piston and head in that cylInder led to my decision to get fully rebuilt heads, block bored .20 over and a full oem Ford rebuild kit for internals.
unfortunately I hadn't taken photos of the original heads after cleaning but I do have the new ones

Deliveries coming in
Refreshed block
Newly rebuild oem heads

Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Did the machine shop really get you turned around that fast or are those not your original block and heads? Cause that's great service if they did!

Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
I'm not necessarily posting in sync with the work I'm doing cuz I get behind on the posts but regarding the block it actually took months till he finished. I was not too happy with the service to be honest.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Did I mention a newly ground performance cam? I hope it's worth it!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
The cam and crank went in next with new bearings, set timing, and torqued the bed plate down

All sensors were replaced with oem new
New bearings all around, plastiguage showing great tolerances
The pistons were then installed after all the ring gaps and protrusions checked out
Pans and covers installed along with new gaskets, seals and orings
Rear seal
Front seal
Oem Ford gaskets and arp head studs
Heads
Rocker boxes
Injectors with hhc diesel seals and nipple cup orings in the rail
All new Hpop, ipr, egr delete, oil cooler and filters

Old 11-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Wire harnesses, gpcm, motor mounts
Hoses, alternator, new ac comp, starter and belt
Exhaust manifolds, ebp
Egr up pipe, turbo pedestal, ficm mounts

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
Long story short, the engine is in. Lots of cranking later, still haven't built up icp pressure and the batteries went dead. After charging batteries overnight, I tried cranking this morning only for the starter solenoid to get stuck running the starter continuously until I found the tools to undo the negatives on the batteries. Time for a new starter again, and new batteries too..

Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass

After finding all the A/C parts, I finally got them in for a complete retrofit! New agm Exide batteries and new starter got the oil system primed. The key here is to take out the plastic stand from inside the oil filter housing and crank it till the passage fills up leading to the hpop. It finally started! The bumper got white paint, grill black, all with a nice clear coat for shine and protection from the elements. Headlights are made by tim glx from these awesome forums and all I could say is that it's the best projector cut off I've ever seen! I'll post pics once I get them.

Now somebody please help me with my flat bed. I've got a pto with lines leading up to the bed. It needs a ram cylinder and a tank but I need help brainstorming a method to hoist without losing the gooseneck hitch. Any ideas? I'm thinking double ram..?

Quick Reply: 06 F350 Dump Truck Rebuild