Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Grille Guards Lower Bumper Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grille Guards Lower Bumper Guards?

I could use some help here, im searching for some protection for my 2016 with the 5 row chrome front grille and center lower bumper opening. I would like to purchase an insert, preferably plastic, not looking for cosmetics, that will keep debris and bugs out of the front end(holes) of my truck? I see all kinds of complete grilles and lowers made of stainless and polished aluminum that are very expensive, they are awesome mods although i just would like to keep crap out of the front end. Anyone have any experience with such, lund used to have some great inserts that snapped into the grille and kept crap out of the rad/ac and oil/trans coolers. Who makes similar products or do any of you guys have things as such. Thanks

Old 11-11-2016, 04:26 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I recommend doing a search on eBay. This is what I found...and not certain this is what you are looking for.

Putco 87160 Bumper Grille Insert Fits 15-16 F-150 | eBay

Good luck,

biz

Old 11-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
I recommend doing a search on eBay. This is what I found...and not certain this is what you are looking for.

Putco 87160 Bumper Grille Insert Fits 15-16 F-150 | eBay

Good luck,

biz
Thanks biz, i found that exact one also and probably will be buying it this weekend, my local retailer has it in stock. Kinda slim pickings for affordable grill and lower bumper trim pieces, all seem to be in metal on way shape or form, if memory serves me correct, the putco above, requires 4 holes to be drilled, requires the removal of the lower bumper trim, go easy if im wrong, i could be confusing it with another brand. I have come to find that putco is a supplier to ford for aftermarket accessories, many of the trim pieces on fords website are in fact putco products, as are the wheel liners, there from penda, thats why penda doesnt offer 2015+ liners, exclusive to ford. Im still unable to find anything that will easily snap into the front grill and keep crap out of the rad and a/c, that are affordable. Them t-rex products are awesome but damn gotta sell one of my kids for them

Old 11-12-2016, 01:39 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

I hear that about cost! I was really surprised to see how expensive...wow!

Not sure if this is a better option for you.

GS902-19 Fia - Grille Bug Screen | eBay

-- OR --

Fia GS902-19 Custom Fit Grille Bug Screen Fits 15 F-150 | eBay

biz

Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Thorium
Senior User
I hear that about cost! I was really surprised to see how expensive...wow!

Not sure if this is a better option for you.

GS902-19 Fia - Grille Bug Screen | eBay

-- OR --

Fia GS902-19 Custom Fit Grille Bug Screen Fits 15 F-150 | eBay

biz
biz, them are the "old school" ones for sure and they do work and work well, just not the prettiest girl in the dance hall

Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Thorium
Senior User
O.K, Just had a coffee and a ford dealership is across the street, so i get to looking.

This is my lower bumper insert, it has the center open with the 2 black bubbles on either side part #FL3Z17E810DA

But part# FL3Z17E810BA has the center closed and also has the license plate frame.

It costs like $30 dollars, problem solved! I do realize i need to have the block heater plug moved to a new location, i dont see why this wouldnt work. Anyone have any thoughts regarding cooling or anything else for that matter. Thanks for looking and posting if you do.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:47 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

What engine are you running? If the 3.5L Ecoboost, then you might run into issues with the inner-cooler not providing the necessary cooler/cold air. Very important for the twin turbos.

biz

Old 11-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Thorium
Senior User
What engine are you running? If the 3.5L Ecoboost, then you might run into issues with the inner-cooler not providing the necessary cooler/cold air. Very important for the twin turbos.biz
biz, i have a 5.0, looking around i dont see any problems but you guys here have more experience, thought id run it by yah'll. I did find a nice set of upper grill inserts, and reasonable to boot. After looking at the grill, if you shine a light, there are louvers in front of the rad? The sections are connected and seem to work or be controlled by a cable, never followed the cable back to its source, this actually provides protection to the rad and i guess has to do with some heating cooling of the engine and is controlled to work in conjuction with engine temps, never seen that before(small trucks).

Heres a pic: they come in black also and can be had for summer, as these are or winter use. under $250 and that includes the lower bumper insert if you dont want to buy the ford lower full insert i have pictured above.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Those look awesome!!

Ok...you must be talking about the F150 Active Grill Shutters. YES...the all new F150 does have those...and they are mainly utilized for fuel economy.

In stop/go traffic they remain open. However, when at highway speeds they remain closed.

Still...a very nice find!

biz

Old 11-26-2016, 03:52 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 15 3.5 NA has the closed version that Thorium posted in the pic's above. I'm thinking that blocking this area off may generate some overheat issues for those that have the eco boost engine? FWIW

Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Thorium
Senior User
I ordered and installed the lower "full center" oem insert about an hour ago, easy no hassle removal and install. At least now the front of the engine and lower front part of the truck wont be subject to all the stuff being thrown at it, in just the short time ive had this truck and the low miles, the front of the oil filter is very dirty, hope this will give some protection and less road grime from coming in.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

That's great to hear! Please let us know if you run into any over heat issues...

I'm thinking you'll be fine. That bottom area is really intended for the Ecoboost engines...and the Intercooler.

biz

Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 AM
Thorium
Senior User
That's great to hear! Please let us know if you run into any over heat issues...

I'm thinking you'll be fine. That bottom area is really intended for the Ecoboost engines...and the Intercooler. biz
biz, there shouldnt be any issues for me, there is nothing below the top of the bumper with my trucks engine configuration, so there shouldnt be any change, i did drive the truck earlier this evening, no change to any of the guages. Just a fyi, the oem panel insert now comes seperate from the license plate frame, so you have to buy the bumper trim insert and the license plate frame, this was confirmed for me yesterday when i purchased the parts by 2 seperate dealers.

Diclaimer/Caveat Emptor:

Just to clarify, my truck is a 2016 f150, 5.0l 4x4, before doing this mod, ensure that you will not be blocking any vital/neccessary parts of your truck, i cannot state that the above will work for you, if your truck and engine configuration is not same as mine, check yourself or have someone qualified to do so for you. Good luck

Old 12-03-2016, 01:47 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
The 2015 and newer Eco's now centers the license plate just like the N/A engines. There is no issue with putting a grill in the center hole. I live in Texas, 2012 Eco had off center tag and you were not to do anything with the gaping hole, my 2015 3.5 Eco now has the Tag resting dead center!