1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel filtration

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filtration

Hey guys, just wanted to get ya'll's opinions on this. I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned putting a better filtration system on it (like you would put on a truck when doing an efuel conversion) what do ya'll think about installing the extra filtration (10 mil first and 4 mil second)? Would there be a possible flow issue? I just sent my injectors to Jim to be rebuilt and wanted to check and see what ya'll thought about it.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:25 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
if you are going to go through the trouble to install the filters/filter bases then I would go ahead and take one more step and do an e-fuel conversion. Not that much more $$ and you can get rid of the factory fuel bowl

Old 10-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What Ben said. Ideally someone would make a better aftermarket filter to fit in the fuel bowl but I'm guessing that restriction issues may be why the stock filter is relatively coarse (40 microns?). Seems hardly worth the risk to go to the time and expense of the spin on filter experiment, only to possibly find out that it creates problems.

The stock fuel bowl filter allows us to check for injector o-ring leaks by looking for darkened fuel and filter. We can't do that with the efuel system, but that's the only drawback I know of. So, I say if you want to upgrade your filtration go for the complete efuel system.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Ok, efuel is already on my list I just was wondering if the better filtration was a feasible option to protect my injectors better without the expense of the full efuel system. I guess I just need to make a prioritized list and starting chipping away at it.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
some have over 300k on their engines with out that filtration

Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Mine has 373,000 on it, I just want to extend the life of the engine as long as I can.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been assuming that better fuel filtration would translate directly to longer injector life. Knottyrope's comment above got me thinking and I figured Jim at Rosewood Diesel sees a lot of injectors that have been run under different conditions so I asked him for his opinion whether the better filtration we use on our efuel systems has any significant effect on injector life. He gave me permission to quote his reply:

"My personal opinion is that the stock fuel system on the OBS trucks is fine for what it does. I think if guys are upgrading injectors then you NEED to upgrade the pump anyway, and I think most spin on filters have a smaller rating anyhow so why not.
We have seen plenty of high miles trucks/injectors with stock fuel systems that are in fine shape, so I wouldn't condemn the stock fuel system just for the sake of it.
If it makes you feel good to run a tighter than oem filter then go for it."

Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
thanks for taking that extra step Bob T, im in rep jail

Old 11-01-2016, 08:13 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob_T
I have been assuming that better fuel filtration would translate directly to longer injector life. Knottyrope's comment above got me thinking and I figured Jim at Rosewood Diesel sees a lot of injectors that have been run under different conditions so I asked him for his opinion whether the better filtration we use on our efuel systems has any significant effect on injector life. He gave me permission to quote his reply:

"My personal opinion is that the stock fuel system on the OBS trucks is fine for what it does. I think if guys are upgrading injectors then you NEED to upgrade the pump anyway, and I think most spin on filters have a smaller rating anyhow so why not.
We have seen plenty of high miles trucks/injectors with stock fuel systems that are in fine shape, so I wouldn't condemn the stock fuel system just for the sake of it.
If it makes you feel good to run a tighter than oem filter then go for it."
Ok, thanks for the info! and all of the extra effort. I need to do the full system, just not in the budget right now.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
thanks for taking that extra step Bob T, im in rep jail
Repped. That is good intel.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Ok, probably a stupid question... I'm still relatively "new" to the forum, what are reps (what do they do) and how do I do it. I see people repping someone who is especially helpful but I'm clueless.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:59 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. Look at the upper right corner of each post. There's a "scale" icon. If you find a person's post helpful, you click that, enter a note, and it adds a point to that user's reputation (aka "reps"). Users can then see reps they've received in their control panel.

"Rep jail" refers to the result of an FTE rule - you can't just heap repeated reps on the same user. Evidently sometime in the past, a few users were "stuffing the ballot box" by repping one another every time they turned around. So a new rule was established - you can't rep another user until you've repped 25 other users. Lots of different opinions about whether that's an excessive number, or just a bad idea, or just fine. But sometimes someone wants to recognize another user's post by "repping" them, but they haven't done the 25-person rotation. So another user will step in and rep the useful post for them.

That's what I did above; knotty liked Bob's post, but must have repped him recently, so wasn't able to rep him again. I agreed that Bob's post was useful, so I repped him. Clear as mud? It's about as elegant and straightforward as a Ford electrical system....

Old 11-03-2016, 01:07 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachH
Ok, probably a stupid question... I'm still relatively "new" to the forum, what are reps (what do they do) and how do I do it. I see people repping someone who is especially helpful but I'm clueless.
Good question ZachH! I would rep you but don't know how from a mobile...

Old 11-03-2016, 06:43 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Perfect, thanks guys!

Old 11-03-2016, 06:48 AM
ZachH
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Clear as mud? It's about as elegant and straightforward as a Ford electrical system....
Lol got it thanks!

Quick Reply: Fuel filtration