6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Just bought a 2008 F250 6.4L Crew Cab for $7000 with 300K Miles (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:48 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2008 F250 6.4L Crew Cab for $7000 with 300K Miles (PICS)

Probably a bad move...as it was online bidding at dealer auction. I was wondering if you could comment on the 6.4L with 300K...Is that absolutely terrifying? Because I am feeling pretty nervous about this purchase!

I'm a very tiny car buyer/seller...Well...I see the 6.4L is 1) Problematic and 2) insanely high for a used motor ($6000)...But I do see them sell for high prices...

Now I am used to high miles...It is the ONLY WAY I can get trucks for cheap...

This is all I know about the truck:
1) Texas so 99% chance it is absolutely rust free compared to the nasty rotted out junk in my home state of Michigan.

2) 300,000 miles

3) Crew Cab long bed XL 4x4

4) the estimate auction site has (they have this for every single car) was $8,650.

ONLY 2 PICTURES:

Oh, here is a few carfax details...Best thing I have going for me is it "passed inspection" (which probably doesn't mean anything) in June with 299K:

I am pretty nervous as my budget is not big...I go half on every car with my dad....Might see if my brother wants to go in 3 ways....Only concern is if it has a motor problem I am absolutely screwed...

Well...Given this information, what do you guys think of the purchase?

Old 10-28-2016, 11:13 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
I guess 1 good thing I have going for me is that...there is a small chance motor was already replaced? Do these get 300-400K on them?

Old 10-28-2016, 03:27 PM
jimh425
Senior User
There's no way to know if it's in good shape or not without having a mechanic that is experienced with a 6.4 to take a look at it. What are you expecting for 7K?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
This may be an expensive mistake, a great deal, or something in between. Is your intent to find a reliable truck, or something to fix up and resell?

The exterior looks like it cleans up well.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
This may be an expensive mistake, a great deal, or something in between. Is your intent to find a reliable truck, or something to fix up and resell?

The exterior looks like it cleans up well.
Intent is to resell (hopefully without having to do any repairs).

Problem is trucks go for extremely high prices - even at the dealer auction...

Watched a 2002 F150 extended with 120K on it go for over $4000...Some of the 7.3Ls go for over $8000....Most of the time a 6.4L is going for over $15,000...never seen one so cheap...I will know Monday if it has something obvious wrong with it...

Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
all you have to do is google 6.4l problems, issues, etc. and you will get the picture.

the repair cost on these things are insane if you let a shop do the work and crazy if you doi it yourself.

even if you spent 4K for an engine rebuild kit and 600 for a tranny rebuild kit, you still have poteintial issues with injectors at 400 each X8, rocker arms which are 500 for the set, then you have 1 time use fuel lines at 30 each X8, the lifters are wear items and require an engine removal if they are mushroomed...but can be taken out with heads removed if they are not. lifter problems cause cam problems which also need engine removal. the fuel pump will glitter the fuel system and clog the injectors in the closed or open position and if in the open position will toruch a piston until the piston melts. the egr clogs with coolent debris caused by scaling as well as the oil cooler which uses coolant to cool the oil. the water pump calvetates and leaks coolant into the crank case. and then there's the DPF regen which will accumalate fuel in the oil system diluting the oil so that the oil does not lube welll anymore. there are 75 dollar sensors that when they fail, the engine goes into "don't start" mode and will leave you on the side of the road in the middle of no where.

there are folks who drive the crap out of these trucks and change fluids and filters on an aggressive schedule and these folks do not have problems that they want to admit to......i think a lot of folks dont count repairs if warranty covers it.

if your buying it to sell it...sell it quick...before the mystery oil, slick 50, or other dealer trick (like adding gas to the diesel) wears out and the truck turns into a smoking rattleing tool box.

good luck.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:22 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
all you have to do is google 6.4l problems, issues, etc. and you will get the picture.

the repair cost on these things are insane if you let a shop do the work and crazy if you doi it yourself.

even if you spent 4K for an engine rebuild kit and 600 for a tranny rebuild kit, you still have poteintial issues with injectors at 400 each X8, rocker arms which are 500 for the set, then you have 1 time use fuel lines at 30 each X8, the lifters are wear items and require an engine removal if they are mushroomed...but can be taken out with heads removed if they are not. lifter problems cause cam problems which also need engine removal. the fuel pump will glitter the fuel system and clog the injectors in the closed or open position and if in the open position will toruch a piston until the piston melts. the egr clogs with coolent debris caused by scaling as well as the oil cooler which uses coolant to cool the oil. the water pump calvetates and leaks coolant into the crank case. and then there's the DPF regen which will accumalate fuel in the oil system diluting the oil so that the oil does not lube welll anymore. there are 75 dollar sensors that when they fail, the engine goes into "don't start" mode and will leave you on the side of the road in the middle of no where.

there are folks who drive the crap out of these trucks and change fluids and filters on an aggressive schedule and these folks do not have problems that they want to admit to......i think a lot of folks dont count repairs if warranty covers it.

if your buying it to sell it...sell it quick...before the mystery oil, slick 50, or other dealer trick (like adding gas to the diesel) wears out and the truck turns into a smoking rattleing tool box.

good luck.

And these are the motors good points!!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:29 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Originally Posted by eberlestock
And these are the motors good points!!
curious how you guys feel about the 6.0 which I have bought with 200,000 miles motor shaking black smoke pouring out the tailpipe and dead cylinders (this was a couple years ago and I have since learned not to be so compulsive --- and basically to avoid online purchases)... but I bought several other 6.0s ranging from 150 to 270k miles that ran amazing... basically they either run good or they don't but when they do I love them don't care what motor it is...

300K sounds pretty scary (if it runs great it is not scary at all)...Will find out for sure on Monday if it's a lemon...But you would think if it had a major motor problem the lane bidders there in person would not have started the bidding at $6,000 and proceed to outbid me in lane...i bid 6500...someone in lane 6600...me final bid 6700..we'll see very soon...updating monday.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:26 AM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey, I love my 6.4 truck. Many guys have no real problems with theirs. These internet forums can be scary. Give yours a spin and she how it does!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
looks to me like the emissions was deleted.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
rob0688
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i have 284,311 on my"08 6.4. Had my first major issues at 283k and some change. #1 and 8 injector failed and oil cooler went. all stock from factory. Did have to replace radiator and t stats under the tsb for double o rings. Other than that oil change, fluid flushes every5 oil changes and fuel filter changes at every 2 oil changes. Truck has been really a great truck. Enginge rebulid coming at 325k.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Update number 1: the guy who works at the auction sad engine sounded good... however he is not a mechanic... I asked him how the interior looked and he said the interior looks nice... this is huge positive news for me because I've gotten trucks with over 200,000 with massive tears in all the seats and the whole thing is trashed headliner hanging down just a total disaster but appears that this one was well taken care of... of course I asked him any check engine lights he said he doesnt know and asked if power or crank windows and he doesn't remember... I should have pictures within a couple days at the most they are doing a full condition report..
Originally Posted by rob0688
i have 284,311 on my"08 6.4. Had my first major issues at 283k and some change. #1 and 8 injector failed and oil cooler went. all stock from factory. Did have to replace radiator and t stats under the tsb for double o rings. Other than that oil change, fluid flushes every5 oil changes and fuel filter changes at every 2 oil changes. Truck has been really a great truck. Enginge rebulid coming at 325k.
nice! I for some reason i suspect my truck is all original but if I'm very lucky it has already been rebuilt..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 AM
thegreatgate
Senior User
Looks like cloth and power windows so got lucky there...I guess photography is not his specialty...but it's something...Now I just need to put a picture of Hillary Clinton behind those bars for a fast sale!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:30 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are you in Michigan?

Old 11-04-2016, 11:31 PM
thegreatgate
Senior User
I am in Southfield, Ann Arbor, and Canton....Each city about 1 hour 40 minutes from Freeland if your address is current...

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2008 F250 6.4L Crew Cab for $7000 with 300K Miles (PICS)