6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350 Fuel Tank Draining

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM
mycol96PS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 F350 Fuel Tank Draining

I need to drain my fuel tank and would like to know how to do that. I screwed up big time and put DEF in. 5 gal. I've already kicked myself around the block a couple of times so no need for anymore.
I did start it up and idled for less then 2 minutes and it shut off by itself and wont start. Dash showed Low Oil Pressure?? can't figure that out. Checked oil level and was too high. I suspect fuel in the oil.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
You are going to have to take it to a shop and get them to check and flush the fuel system.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
The fix is new filters, new injectors, new hpfp and complete flush of fuel lines and tank cleaning.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fix is $10k. Take it to a reputable shop or dealership and have it fixed right.

It won't be cheap but better than messing around yourself and doing even more damage.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance on your truck, contact your insurance company. Comprehensive insurance will cover this "damage" you caused. They will then cover the cost of the repair.

If no comprehensive, you will need to have the truck towed to a Ford Dealer or diesel shop to have it repaired. Ford does have a fuel system kit that includes all the parts needed for the repair. The cost of the kit, EC3Z-9B246-A, is approx $4500 list which may or maybe not include a deposit for the hpop. EC3Z-9B246-A covers the 2011 through 2014 trucks.

If you let the dealer repair it, do not let them itemize each individual part, else it will cost over $7,000 for the parts instead of $4500. I forget the hours people have stated for the repair but suspect it is close to 40-48 hours of labor to effect the repairs and clean the tank.

Good luck to you...

To drain the tank, you will need to remove the tank. Tank removal...

Fuel Tank — Midship

Removal and Installation

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

Release the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Drain the fuel from the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Diesel engine

Loosen the 2 hose clamps and disconnect the fuel tank filler pipe and fuel tank filler pipe vent tube from the fuel tank.

Place a jack under the fuel tank.

NOTE: The 142 L (37.5 gal) midship fuel tank has 3 fuel tank straps and 6 cradle bracket bolts. All other midship fuel tanks have 2 fuel tank straps and 4 cradle bracket bolts.

Remove the 4 or 6 fuel tank strap bolts and remove the 2 or 3 fuel tank straps.

To install, tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).

Partially lower the fuel tank for access.

Diesel engine

Disconnect the fuel return tube-to-fuel level sensor quick connect coupling and the fuel supply tube-to-fuel level sensor quick connect coupling. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector.

Lower the fuel tank.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

There are videos on YouTube on how to replace the stock tank with a Titan Fuel tank. It will give you more info with the video on how to remove it.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 PM
mycol96PS
New User
Thank You. It's on the way to the shop now.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Great info Larry

Originally Posted by mycol96PS
Thank You. It's on the way to the shop now.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:00 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
If you have comprehensive insurance on your truck, contact your insurance company. Comprehensive insurance will cover this "damage" you caused. They will then cover the cost of the repair.
+1 on this advice. Taking it to the professionals is a good second step.

You are not the first to do this. Stuff happens.

bruce...

Old 10-27-2016, 03:21 PM
mycol96PS
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin

If no comprehensive, you will need to have the truck towed to a Ford Dealer or diesel shop to have it repaired. Ford does have a fuel system kit that includes all the parts needed for the repair. The cost of the kit, EC3Z-9B246-A, is approx $4500 list which may or maybe not include a deposit for the hpop. EC3Z-9B246-A covers the 2011 through 2014 trucks.

If you let the dealer repair it, do not let them itemize each individual part, else it will cost over $7,000 for the parts instead of $4500. I forget the hours people have stated for the repair but suspect it is close to 40-48 hours of labor to effect the repairs and clean the tank.

Good luck to you...

To drain the tank, you will need to remove the tank. Tank removal...

Fuel Tank — Midship

Removal and Installation

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .

Release the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Drain the fuel from the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Diesel engine

Loosen the 2 hose clamps and disconnect the fuel tank filler pipe and fuel tank filler pipe vent tube from the fuel tank.

Place a jack under the fuel tank.

NOTE: The 142 L (37.5 gal) midship fuel tank has 3 fuel tank straps and 6 cradle bracket bolts. All other midship fuel tanks have 2 fuel tank straps and 4 cradle bracket bolts.

Remove the 4 or 6 fuel tank strap bolts and remove the 2 or 3 fuel tank straps.

To install, tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).

Partially lower the fuel tank for access.

Diesel engine

Disconnect the fuel return tube-to-fuel level sensor quick connect coupling and the fuel supply tube-to-fuel level sensor quick connect coupling. For additional information, refer to Section 310-00 .

Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector.

Lower the fuel tank.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

There are videos on YouTube on how to replace the stock tank with a Titan Fuel tank. It will give you more info with the video on how to remove it.
Thank you. This is very good info Larry

Old 10-27-2016, 03:57 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son's friend had one of his employees pump the diesel tank full of gasoline. My son went over and drained the tank, changed all the filters, refilled it with diesel and cycled the pump to clear the gasoline from the lines. It ran fine after that and had no issues.

Gasoline isn't the same as DEF but I would think that if it's done in time before it sits in the system and causes corrosion the damage should be limited.

Good reason to use the Ford DEF nozzle as it won't lock into the fuel neck. Either that or just delete the DPF and be done with the whole thing.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:59 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
My son's friend had one of his employees pump the diesel tank full of gasoline. My son went over and drained the tank, changed all the filters, refilled it with diesel and cycled the pump to clear the gasoline from the lines. It ran fine after that and had no issues.

Gasoline isn't the same as DEF but I would think that if it's done in time before it sits in the system and causes corrosion the damage should be limited.

Good reason to use the Ford DEF nozzle as it won't lock into the fuel neck. Either that or just delete the DPF and be done with the whole thing.
I think you missed the part where he ran it for 2 minutes until it died (and would not re start). The DEF is already in the pump and injectors.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:38 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darren32
I think you missed the part where he ran it for 2 minutes until it died (and would not re start). The DEF is already in the pump and injectors.
I saw that. When the other truck I mentioned was filled with gasoline it was also run until it wouldn't start. There's DEF in the fuel system but I find it hard to believe it would corrode things that fast. If it sat at the dealer for a few days before they got to it then that would happen though. I'm talking about getting it cleared out within an hour or so.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:41 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 503 Likes on 170 Posts
DEF kills injectors pretty quickly, and is more corrosive than straight water. It's probably too late...

Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
It sucks - but it is what it is... Call your insurance company, hopefully, you have full coverage and they cover it. Let the dealer or a shop do it.

This is one of the bad things about needing DEF and having both tank filler tubes near each other. It was already pointed out, but I'll still say it - you are not the first to do this and not the last.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:38 PM
mycol96PS
New User
Well I got the truck back yesterday PM. Tank dropped and cleaned, lines flushed, new filters fresh diesel. No codes. I drove @ 5 miles I got the Water in fuel warning. drove another 10 miles to home and grained the separator. It did have some water maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup. Restarted and got the same message plus Reduced engine power message. I have now drained the separator 10 times. No water what so ever. Still getting the same warning messages.
The sensor in the separator is a fuel temperature sensor. ShouldmI change it?

Quick Reply: 2011 F350 Fuel Tank Draining