Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 F350 Truck won't crank- SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
2002 F350 Truck won't crank- SOLVED

Updated title and the info below. They tried using PCM out of Auto, didn't have luck, reinstalled original PCM for the truck after repairing Dash cluster (HEC) and replacing Fuse Box.

No crank, but directly triggering starter, it cranks (haven't started it this way, but it wanted to)

{Deleted} The Auto PCM is out of V10 ultimate (or Limited, the one with the TVs), going into F350 Work Truck Luxury, standard transmission, 4WD.

The F350 does not have VSM that could be found in the dash (going to confirm tomorrow). {Deleted} Unknown if the donor truck had PATS

Outer cab harness (fender/firewall) replaced out of donor truck that was 2WD. Seems there was something wrong with it AND a bad fuse box, also swapped with a Lariat Edition fuse box.

The HEC was bad in the original F350 condition, repaired.

So here are some questions I have, but I'll gladly take any advice and discussion on the matter

{Deleted} 1. Auto PCM to Manual truck. Neutral/park switch vs clutch switch. Is there something we have to do there? Jump the trans switch, reprogram PCM, etc

{Deleted} 2. How do I know if the donor Auto PCM had/has PATS? Maybe the PCM code will tell me?

3. 2wd harness a problem, or were they standard and complete in both?

4. Anything else? What can be checked with AE?

This is for some buddies who have been quite helpful when I needed help with my Excursion (especially when I was "new" to it). They're stuck. I'm not looking to sound intelligent or anything, just want to get their truck going again

I'm headed there tomorrow mid afternoon and possibly well into the night, whatever it takes. I should have internet available, just maybe not under the hood, LOL.

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
V10 to diesel won't work. But I also have read over the years you can't use a auto to standard either. Most pcm's interchange but you have to go from diesel to diesel and gas to gas. Same with the trans.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:42 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
V10 to diesel won't work. But I also have read over the years you can't use a auto to standard either. Most pcm's interchange but you have to go from diesel to diesel and gas to gas. Same with the trans.
I believe just the fuse panel came from the v10. Not sure if I wrote it correctly above. Getting tired and reading TONS, LOL.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 07:51 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Disable and bypass PATS and VSM?

Yep, I need a way to bypass the security to "steal" our own truck from it's computer! LOL.

Actually, I need a way to bypass all the security for troubleshooting, then look for a long term solution if we can confirm my suspicion of PATS issue and auto trans interlock circuit (not present on the manual truck, but using PCM out of Auto).

"Car Thieves" and smart folks can PM me if they don't want to post the details in a public forum

Gone are the days of reaching behind the ignition cylinder at 5 o'clock position, mounted in the dash, unplugging the harness and plugging in your spare cylinder from your pocket to run your truck, LOL.

But I guess it went away with the "everybody knows me and my truck" times. Seems nobody knows who "belongs" in your truck anymore...

Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Okay, CORRECTION....

It currently has the original PCM installed now.

Originally the truck would crank on its own, constantly.

They had the HEC (smart speedo) rebuilt, and swapped the fuse box, no constant crank, but now no crank.

The only part from an Auto truck is the the wiring harness, which is from Auto/2WD, going into this Standard 4WD.

Now I'm thinking ignition switch.

Here are the latest codes:

P0122, accelerator pedal sensor circuit low input
P0118, ECT
P0232, Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High
P1662, IDM EN circuit failure -Open relay, blown fuse, open/grounded circuit

P0605, PCED Powertrain Control Module ROM error Internal PCM failure Internal PCM failure

I'll be there by late afternoon.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly... the owner has been frantically (and impatiently) throwing incompatible parts at the truck, in the hope of getting it going quickly. That list of DTCs indicates we've left the highway and we are now in the rough with no map or GPS. I say clear all DTCs and see what we're left with.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:46 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
If I'm reading this correctly... the owner has been frantically (and impatiently) throwing incompatible parts at the truck, in the hope of getting it going quickly. That list of DTCs indicates we've left the highway and we are now in the rough with no map or GPS. I say clear all DTCs and see what we're left with.
Thanks, Rich. I was thinking same as you, something incompatible, or a significant circuit failure.

By the time I arrived, they had already discovered the donor harness was missing a plug end, including the one near the firewall and idm with that little loop of red wire.

What is that wire/plug? It puts me in mind of the SPOUT connector on a gasser...the truck WILL NOT START if you remove that plug

So we got the correct harness and PCM installed, found and replaced a bad terminal at the fuel pump, and did the "long first start" after engine work.

It was a SWEET SOUND Gotta love that mosquito fogger sign of success

BTW, this is the most I've see a dash and exterior GUTTED. You know I had to climb around, look at all the positions of plugs and components that I can only "see" by feel under my dash, under the fender (IDM), etc.

The high amperage connection under the airbox...was permanently bonded together. Not sure if that was a PO thing, or if they came that way in some trucks vs the terminal under the plastic hat

Thanks to everyone who read and contributed. It's a little scary that these beasts are starting to make sense to me

Good times

BTW, anyone looking for a 6.0L bullet proofed and built truck, tranny, turbo, tuned, etc? One of my buddies has the "now I want to build another one" bug. I've personally worked on this truck.

If so, drop me a line or PM and I'll put you in touch with him. Killer deal, IMHO. If I was looking for a truck to add to the diesel barn, I'd be all over it. I hope someone here picks it up. It will surely sell locally, but if one of you guys gets it, it will be staying "part of the family" LOL.

Anyways, consider that a plug, not an advertisement.

BTW, if he does a Craigslist, I can post a link to it in the forum, right? It isn't my truck.